iPad Has anyone tried Sky Thunder?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by organerito, Nov 25, 2008.

1. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    It looks good.

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
  3. networkman

networkman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    Looks good to me! I'm all over SHUMPS.

-zBill. :D

4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    yes, me :)
    as a shooter fan, i immediatly had to buy it.
    BUT the controls are noooot good.
    accelerometer controls are way too lame
    and touch controls are also a bit strange....

grafics are nice, great retro-shooter feeling.
    hope for a controller update.
    then i'm sure to enjoy this game alot.

5. Indy

Indy Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Ya know, that really sucks!

I love these space shooter style games and I can't believe someone hasn't got it right yet, I mean c'mon!

Graphics look superb, old school style with lots of power ups but please PLEASE fix the controls for cryin out LOUD!

6. organerito

Nov 24, 2008
    Thanks,

Is it worth 5 dollars? I also enjoy shooter games.

7. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    At the moment I would say, no.
    But if the controls are becoming better, what i really hope, then hell yes!! :)
    Grafics are great, weapons look awesome, big end bosses (did it to level 4 so far). But I really hate the controls, too slow when tilting, to fast when touching. But perhaps, it's just me complaining about. But I'm also sure it will get cheaper very soon :)

8. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I really LOVE Shmups but I'm waiting for a price drop on this one.
    There are hardly any decent shmups out there, Tilt Fighter, Deadly Space and Space Mania, they all suck.

9. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

It has a price drop. The video on youTube looks good, but the enemies seem to be a bit repetive. Of course, the controls must do the work... Should I buy it for 2,99 US$ or wait for other shooters like Centipede? I currently own 2069 and Chopper and Blue Skies and Missile Command and like all of them for the style, graphics, gameplay and controls.

10. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Yeah I was just notified by Appsniper that this has dropped.:D
    I'm going to buy this (I'm just a sucker for shmups) and then I will post my impressions here.

11. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    shmups is just such a stupid word :D

12. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    It sure is!:D

My first impressions that is could have been a decent game if they hadn't messed up the controls. This is a "bullet hell" style game, that means there is shit coming at you from every direction and with controls this bad you will have a hard time dodging anything. You can choose between accelerometer (like in deadly space or tilt fighter) or touch (like in Rrootage) controls but both suck. The accelerometer is a little bit better (I was not dying as often when I used them).
    My verdict is that, unless you are a hardcore shmup fan, skip this game until they release an update that fixes the controls.

13. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll pass.

14. organerito

Nov 24, 2008
    I hope Platypus is going to be good.

15. networkman

networkman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    It was a great game on the PSP.

Control is want is needed the most with a shooter. It must have control!

:D

16. looop1

looop1 Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Sky Thunder 1.1 improves control and speed

Hello all,

I'm author of Sky Thunder. Thank you for your support and concern about this game.

I've received a lot of feedback about the "bad" control. This was a special design, and through practice I realized it's not good. It was expected to control aircraft by "relative" movement, that is you finger can be anywhere on the screen, no necessary close to the aircraft. When you finger move left the aircraft turn left, and vice verse. However it's not easy to accept and looks weird, so that's the problem.

1.1 has changed the control mode to "trace" finger movement. No matter where your finger moves, the aircraft follows you. This way is normal and natural. Hope you'll enjoy it :)
    Besides control mode, 1.1 also slow down the speed of enemy aircrafts and bullets, then it's more playable.

The new version is already submit for Apple to review, and will be online in several days. Please try it.

Sincerely thank you for your support and care. This game can never be better without your support and care. If you have more suggestion, please feel free to contact us.

Your sincerely,
    Looop1 software

17. organerito

Nov 24, 2008
    It makes me confident to know that you want to fix things. There are so many things going on during the game. Some of them are a little distracting. There is so much going on. Did you work on that on the update you just submitted?

There isn't yet a favorite shooter in the App store. Sky Thunder is promising. So, you have a great opportunity here.

18. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    This is the whole point of the game, as I said earlier this a bullet hell type of game.

@ developer: Can't wait for the update! If this fixes the controls as promised this would be one hell of a shmup!

19. looop1

looop1 Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Thank you for your support. Please try the update 1.1 and give me feedback :)
    Looking forward...

20. looop1

looop1 Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Yep, this game is exciting, as you said "bullet hell".
    New version is on review, and should online soon. Looking forward to your new review :)