iPad Has anyone tried Shaky Summit?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by raps27, Sep 26, 2008.

1. raps27

raps27 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2008
    any reviews?

2. sirisaacx

sirisaacx Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I haven't tried it, but it seems like the game wouldn't hold my attention for long.

3. mek

mek Well-Known Member

from what it looks like, your character moves by itself, and you hit the screen to make your oponent stumble and fall, so its about strategy and timing....

i dont think it would hold my attention for long either...

4. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Yeah I pretty much agree with mek and siri, although I'm waiting for a definite take on the game LOL.

5. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    is it only two-player or is there a single player mode?

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    So here is what it is...

You and your opponent are racing side by side.
    you have a button on your side (the left) that is your stamina which is used for faster climbing and running.

The gimmick is that you tap and hold your opponents side of the screen then swipe your finger back and forth to cause an earthquake.

Causing an earthquake can hinder you, your opponent, or both. You can move rocks, cause rope ladders to unravel and help you climb, make boulders drop, etc.

2-player works the same way but with player 1 controlling the left and player 2 controlling the right.

I personally wasn't a fan, and not just cause my girlfriend throws a lot of elbows...

Unless you actually play the game first I wouldn't recommend it.

7. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I like the game

It's not a bad game. I realize, by the description on Touch Arcade, that it doesn't really offer much of an explanation on how the game is played, but there really is some depth to it. When I first started playing it, I was frustrated and not sure how to play. You don't necessarily control the vertical movement of the characters. It's more about momentum and timing. After the first hour, I began to realize the techniques (short tremors vs. long ones, and when and where to use each of them). It's quite fun. I've been able to get gold medals on the first five summits after playing each of them a few times. It does take a little practice, and you may find yourself restarting a few of the races. Nevertheless, I am really enjoying it. I understand that it's not a game for everyone, but it's right up my alley in terms of graphics, music, and of course game play. If you're sitting on the fence, give it a try.

8. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I mentioned in the article comments that I think it's a good game. I think it's going to be a hard sell since it doesn't fit into a known category.

arn

9. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    I bought it yesterday and got to agree with davidovich that it takes some time to get used to the controls. THe first tutorial windows are in the way of the action so it was hard to even complete the first climb but after a couple of tries it works quite well. The fact that the routes change every time is really refreshing because it doesn´t become a game of route memorization. Anyway at this early stage I can recommend it but I don´t know how long it will hold my attention.

10. raps27

raps27 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2008
    hoe long is the game and can u move ur charcter with the accelorometer

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    If there was ever a game that needed a demo.... With the game being so odd they are going to have a tough time selling it without such a demo to show people why they should buy it.

12. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    There are only two controls.

Touching on the screen causes an earthquake. You can determine how long or how short the quake is. There is a recovery time so one can't be done right after the other. So that determines some of the strategy. The computer or other player can invoke a quake also.

There is also a "stamina bar" and button that gives you a little burst of speed and helps you recover from falls.

arn

13. hyk

hyk Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    This game is a (hidden) gem. I don't know why it received so little press. I don't even know why it isn't at top10. It is really a new 3D game with new gameplay and neat looking cartoon 3D graphics. The more you play it, the deeper it's mechanics become. The best $5 i'd spent on the AppStore so far. I would gladly pay $10 for it.

There're 10 mountains spewing 30 levels across 3 difficulties and 4 characters with different abilities. What's more, the levels are randomized everytime! OMG, its like a puzzle game with changing puzzle, except it got more action and gameplay. I think the right word for it should be "racing-action-adventure-puzzle". Did i mention it got neat looking cartoon 3D graphics?

The only issue i see with this game is people not willing to try it because they don't know what it is. It's like not seeing tetris for the first time and just by the description of it, i doubt anybody will try tetris at all. Er, pilling bricks on bricks doesn't sound very fun. This game suffers from a familiarity problem. Once a critical mass of people gets familiar with the game, i suspect there will be a lot of 2-player PvP going on... Maybe even a shaky summit tournament! Oh, you didn't know about PvP? This game supports 2-player mode on the same device!

Reviews:
    http://justanothermobilemonday.com/Wordpress/2008/10/06/review-iugos-shaky-summit/

Video reviews:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCbsLFab-A0

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Which begs the question: why is there no demo and why are iPhone game developers seemingly so adverse to providing demos? I'm definitely not going to buy this game unless a demo shows me that it is fun, or probably if they drop it to 99 cents, but wouldn't they rather I paid $5 for it? I just don't get the lack of demos.

15. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    #15 dudehuge, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
    Great review by an IUGO rep, oh wait, you guys made the thing. Darn it! Good job on bashing Glu and Pangea on your other post btw dude! Bravo!

16. stephennn

stephennn Member

Sep 29, 2008
    If there is previous reasons why you called them out as a IUGO rep please forgive me, but if not, lets not jump the gun at calling praising reviews of a game the product of a rep of that company.

I submitted a gushing review of Mouse About a week or two ago, and I got called out for praising my own app. The fact of the matter being however, that I have nothing to do with that company, and am just a fan of iphone games myself.

I would also like to say that this game is in my "top 16" list on my iphone, and I think it really is often overlooked. The actual gameplay mechanic is a bit hard to understand in writing, and even if it is understood, sounds a little boring. But in actuality, it is a very polished and addictive game. The different ways you can approach each level and the early disneyesque atmosphere of it make it very hard to put down. While there are only two real "actions" that you do in the game, it is surprisingly fun and challenging. The first few times that I played it I got my ass handed to me by the computer opponent. Once I understood better the rules of the game and how to play it, I started climbing up the ladder with greater ease.

This is a really good game that is indeed often overlooked, and yes, as people have said, it needs a demo badly. If there ever was a game that you can't describe in written words, this is it. A one level demo would be perfect for this game.

17. hyk

hyk Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    #17 hyk, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
    Bravo! I praised trism too. Maybe I'm a trism rep too. Dang! Stephennn is probably also a rep for praising a good game. Bravo!

I'm super pissed with Pangea for taking 10$ from me and then dropping the price to 99c. I think I have a right to bash them. Other then enigmo, all their other games dont worth half their price. The same for Glu.

Stephenn, careful with ur reviews in the future. Don't wanna be reps for too many companies now do we. LOL