iPad Hardcore or Casual?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Maythius, Jan 4, 2009.

?

Hardcore or Casual

1. Hardcore!

29 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. Casual!

38 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Hey everyone! I just had a few questions...

Are you a hardcore gamer? or a casual gamer?

After stating what you are, tell me how you feel about the iphone/ipotch as a gaming device.

Finally, according to you, state what game acts as a model for the perfect game for the platform.

2. I can't be a hardcore gamer. I spend all my free time making them!

3. D Wo

D Wo Member

Nov 30, 2008
    I'm a midcore :p

4. LinXitoW

LinXitoW Member

Dec 8, 2008
    hardcore
    I think it has potential, but theres gonna be a "learning curve" for developers when it comes to transcending traditional button based games to the touchscreen.
    ID say Galcon. Its a perfect example for current indie games: A fantastic, refreshing gameplay, but nothing more. No story, etc.

5. dcescott

dcescott Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Casual, family first! I can't stay up late and get my game on like I used to...

6. PlayScreen

PlayScreen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Casual.

Unless Counterstrike-Multiplayer comes out.

7. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    #7 spacecowgoesmoo, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    Hardcore

I think iPhone is good for gaming, competition always is, but it needs some kind of buttons and D-pad add-on thingy before it can get up there with the DS and PSP.

Best game example.....Rolando, if it was a tad longer. It's as good as any console game easily, but not as long as they usually are.

8. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    mid core. depends on how addictive the game i am playing is; and how long it lasts.

9. SmallSoldiers81

SmallSoldiers81 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    oHiO
    i know it's probably cliche but Rolando uses touch and accelerometer controls, greaat graphics, and a funky soundtrack. Oh yeah, it's also an amazing game.
    I'd say sometimes hardcore like when I'm on xbox live. But casual with almost every other game

10. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I'm a casual gamer when it comes to arcade type game. I'm not really like to archieve high score or beating my high score type of person. Just completing the levels will make me happy, and won't be playing it for the time being.

Well, I can be a hardcore gamer when it comes to RPG games where there is no time limit or scores. I like seeing and completing every single quest for RPG and that really makes me satisfy~

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Hardcore. Gaming's right up there next to friends, family, school, and sports. I actually switched from the Wii to a 360. Hard to be hardcore while waving a little white remote around like Harry Potter.

Best game, hmmm. Rolando (uses the touch screen and acellometer consistently), and then Topple (uses multi-touch, and the accelometer to fervently keep the @#$%&! from falling).

12. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Definitely casual. Brothers in Arms and Asphalt are probably the only real games I've ever spent multiple hours playing in one sitting; however, I am definitely spening more and more time playing games every day. Hell, I probably use the phone and its features for 4-6 hours a day; the battery is always drained

13. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I'm hardcore. The iPhone is a groovy device but there's just so much untapped potential. I'm more of a fighting games kinda guy but the way the device is now, there's no way for something like Street Fighter to hit the appstore. 3rd question is irrelevant since the device is far too young for such a game to exist...

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Wow, cool poll, I just made it a 22/22 split, I am more of a casual gamer on the go. Which the iPhone is made for. So for iPhone yes casual is the way for me. At home I am hardcore FPS Multiplayer. BF2142, TF2, Quake, etc...

15. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Casual for every type of gaming

I mostly like retro games, which are perfect for "pick up and play" type gameplay... The newest system I have ever played is a PS2, which I still play regularly, but I like my SNES a helluva lot more :)

16. WOW_GEE

WOW_GEE Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Depends on the game, really. Casual if its a game like iCopter, Up There, Scoops, Centipede, or 2079, not saying these arent great games, cause they all are great games, but they focus more on doing better each time, therefore usually they can only be played a certain number of times in a sitting before you feel like putting it down, and then going back to it later.

Games like Rolando, Space Ninja, Iron Fist Boxing, and even Crayon Physics Deluxe focus more on completing objectives or missions in addition to scoring, so they're more engaging for a longer amount of time, so those would probably be considered the games that i would play more 'hardcore.'

But even so, with the touch being viewed as it is (as not a serious gaming device quite yet) its hard to really 'get into' anything with the attention that you would give a game made for a console that has proven itself to the big names in gaming community, although there are many fabulous titles in the app store that shocked even me with their awesomeness. (Space Ninja, Edge, Rolando...:))

17. Justom

Justom Well-Known Member

I'm casual. I just can't seem to play iTouch games for a long time compared to PC/Console games. I'm addicted to CoD5 right now :p

18. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Hardcore I think, as I charge up my iTouch 1-2 times a day :)

19. Casual. I have too many other hobbies now to have the time to be hardcore.

20. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    I don't game as much as I used to (developer), and when I do it's usually research. It seems the more time you spend analyzing game mechanics, glitches/bugs, the harder it is to just sit back and enjoy a game.

When I do game it's usually RPG's, "Metroidvania's", or games with a heavy emphasis on storytelling/style/setting. I drop what I'm doing, and power through a game in a day or two.

So yeah, while I can hold my own in Tony Hawk's up to 7, or the Tekken/Soul Callibur series, I just don't these days.

Retired Hardcore?