Universal Hardboiled (by Game Dev Team)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 13, 2015.

1. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Very early into playing. It's top down, tap to move outside of combat. Combat is turn based with choice of where to attack, attack arm may disarm opponent, attack leg may slow opponent. I'm dying a lot. You are searching the city to locate parts for your broken vehicle, at least so far that's what I'm tasked with. I was givin some basic instruction but then left to scavenge and figure out what to do, which I like. I'm dying a lot. There is at least one vendor that I've found, no currency that I've seen, but trade for other items. Skill points for strength, stamina, etc.. That are earned as you fight. I'm dying a lot.
    Fun so far, worth $2 for me. I may have mentioned I'm dying a lot, but I like that it's challenging and I have to explore and try to survive. Penalty for getting knocked out seems to be items from inventory, you are placed back at your trash can camp when you wake up.

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Does this work on an iPhone 4S? I can't find the minimum specs for it. It's available in the App Store now, btw.

3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Thanks for the vid touchy85
    All I have seen and read with this game plus ratings for all their games are high it's a no brainer for me. Surprised it's only 1.99

4. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I found this Indonesian web which talks about it:

http://id.gamesinasia.com/hardboiled-rpg-turn-based-yang-terinspirasi-fallout-1-dan-2/

I used Google's auto translate and got the following ideas (which I'm not 100% sure they are correct):

- The city map is small, but there are many things to do.
    - There seems to be some kind of reputation points with consequences (something like light/dark side of the force in SW:KOTOR).
    - The backstory is not very elaborate: you don't exactly know how you ended in that city, what were you exactly doing, etc.
    - It covers very well the need of a Fallout-esque game with strategy fighting by turns.

All in all, it looks good. Seriously thinking about getting it.

5. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Definitely a must buy from today's releases, I'm just worried about the length of the game. I have a bad feeling it's going to be short, please someone tell me I'm wrong!

6. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    works fine, really fine!

7. GDT

GDT Member

May 13, 2015
    #28 GDT, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Hello guys,
    Thanks for interest in my game!

The game doesn't have a huge world like in Fallout. There is just a town with some areas around. From my friends experience, it takes around 8-10 hours to complete the game story, maybe more, it depends on your playing style.
    I would love to make a game as huge as fallout, but I don't think it's possible to do it by myself :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for making the game, and selling it for 2 dollars! I canna wait for midnight to roll on in (and when I say that I will be unable to decide between playing Hardboiled, Heroes & Castles 2 or Ire:Blood Memory first, take that as the highest compliment!)

Which is, incidentally, far more than many story-driven and finite experiences for the platform :)

So now... we pray. That you get the funding and resources to do just that ;)

9. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I have a few questions about your game.

Are there throwing weapons like knives and grenades?
    There looks to be some kind of cover system here. How does it work? Eg. What percentage
    of damage do you take in cover vs out of cover?

Are there quests to do? If so , can you go about doing them in a way that effects your
    good vs bad status?

Can you eventually do more actions as you level up?
    Is it possible to sneak up and get the first strike in on some enemies?

How does the targeting of different body parts work? Can you hit the head and stun the enemy
    for a turn? Will attacking the legs stop them from moving or lessen the distance they can cover?
    Can you shoot the enemy in the arm and have him drop his gun so you can go over and pick it up?

Thanks

10. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    BOUGHTZ.

Thanks for keeping the file size down!

11. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    And for integrating a "save anywhere" feature. I tried exiting the app, killing it and opening it again, and it began just where I had left it :)

12. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Made this game by yourself???? Wow!!! Congratulations! Bought it and played and i love it!!!!! Thank you!

13. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Holy cow!!! This is The game I was waiting for!!! This is a very good game!!! I absolutely love fallout and this really brought back there's nostalgia!!!

Thanks dev

14. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Why did u rate the game 4 stars? U seem to be early on the game

15. GDT

GDT Member

May 13, 2015
    There is grenades, they deal a huge damage. Bandits and guardians also can use them.

About covering system, you can cover behind some obstacles. In this case, shows the icon with shield and cover chance. Also, obstacle absorb part of damage.

Your can take some quests from traders, strangers or trashmaster. But, it's not like a usual quest. It's more like, if you have a required item, you can exchange it on reputation. How you got this item, it's up to you.

Reputation. With a high reputation, you have access to all secured by guardians areas. With a low reputation, you become neutral with bandits, and have access to their camps. However, if they figure out that you touch their belongings they will attack you.

If you mean, can you increase the number of action points, yes. If you're talking about traits or active skills system, unfortunately not.

With targeting all simple.
    Head - double damage.
    Body - normal damage based on armor.
    Arm - damage + chance to disarm (you can't take his weapon).
    Leg - damage + chance to slow (decreased movement distance).

I hope it could help. And sorry for my english :)

16. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    The game is tough even on normal!! And when u die or knock out its basically game over! U start again with nothing.. That's bad when u progressed far.. So I dunno I have been creating new games.. Any tips on that

17. GDT

GDT Member

May 13, 2015
    When you awake up, you can find your items into the carton box close to you. However, there is a chance that some of your belongings will be lost. You also can store your items into the car trunk or any other box you like.

18. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I've played more since and I am enjoying very much. I rated after playing for another 1-2 or so. I gave 4 because the map is small and the combat, although fun and reminiscent of fallout is a little stale for me. I really like the game but I don't rate 5 stars for many games. Legend of grimrock was a 5 star for me. I really am enjoying this game but world size and combat engagement are important to me.

19. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    It's a bit bare; could certainly use more content. But worth the 2 bucks so far.