iPad Hamster House

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by don_k, Nov 28, 2008.

1. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
  2. jayminer

jayminer Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I bought it, and I am sad to say I don't like it very much. The graphics are nice but the framerate is really bad, and I don't really like the controls. Seems like the devs have missed that the iPhone/iPods has multi-touch - because if you jump and keep holding the jump button you can't move at the same time, you need to jump, release the button and then press any of the the move buttons.

I guess if you can live with these shortcomings, it's a pretty decent game.

3. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Even if controls are not the best (but you get used to it very quickly and it is a thing, they can repair in upcoming updates, hopefully), the game is FULL OF LOVE. Sweet characters, great pixel style, a little storyline....all in all a charming retro feel. I really enjoy playing it. Above average and very unique on the iPhone at the moment.

4. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    So how is the framerate, like sickeningly choppy, or does it stutter just a little?
    Oh, and how long is it?

5. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    I can't stand that at least 3 of the reviews are all by someone who has no prior reviews and all seem to be similar style reviews. Developers, please don't take us for idiots.

6. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Hahaha, I HATE that!
    Were not stupid... all the time

7. SydneyS

SydneyS Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Student/Classroom Aide
    Philadelphia
    I actually bought it as an impulse buy because I thought it looked so cute and it has been the game I have spent the most time on over the past few days. One thing I don't like is that the characters don't repeat what they've said and somethines I accidently skip what they say the first time.
    The contols are really easy to get used to, and I have had no framerate issues.
    Overall it was worth my money because the game is well done and takes longer than 2 minutes to finish.

8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Sydney S:
    so in your opinion, does it feel and play like some classic games such as Bubsy? or what kind of game is it? what's the mission and how do we play it? do we have to shoot enemies or just explore the worlds to collect all items? is the control using virtual d-pad?

Sorry, I just want to know as much as possible as the developer seems not to be active and most likely never roll out an update.

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Great retro side-scrolling platformer

I just bought this game and played for around 5 minutes. It's a cool retro gem - very rare to get a quality side-scrolling platformer on AppStore.
    The graphics remind me of Sega Genesis games, which I'm fond of.

The issues I have so far is the choppy framerate and lack of multi-touch. eg: as someone said above, you can't press jump while you're walking.

Apart from this two, it's a great game. Feels like a real game where there's story, worlds to explore, etc. AppStore is really lacking this kind of game as most games are only 5 minutes time killer.

I don't know why this title is soooo overlooked.

10. SydneyS

Nov 28, 2008
    Student/Classroom Aide
    Philadelphia
    #10 SydneyS, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
    There is no shooting in the game, you jump on enemies to get rid of them and collect stars. It is a collect item game, butbpart of the fun is how detailed and huge each level is that you have to collect from.
    The overall mission is to collect items and make the 'hamster house' as beautiful as you can while bringing down the gofers.
    Overall, I think it's really unique and fun.

Edit**
    I forgot that you can shoot enemies with fire if you swallow a special power up

11. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    This is actually a great game!

Like the others have said, the controls are a little odd, and the framerate is a LITTLE choppy (not to a sickening level). I am playing on a 2g iPod Touch if that makes a difference.

Even with these complaints, this game is well worth the $.99!

Wish there were more games of this genre on the iPod Touch.

12. TheBunny

TheBunny Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    MMO Mac Lead ZeniMax Online
    Baltimore
    Had to check it out with a name so close to Mouse House :)

Personally I like the game, its cute etc.

Any how whats keeping me from playing its is the abismal frame rate.

Its not just that the FPS is low but the actual game play seem slowed down because of it to an unreasonable speed :(

I would like to see some time put into optimizing the engine feels like
    10 fps? now...

Till that I can't personally recommend it :(

13. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    What device (ex. iPod Touch 1g/2g) are you using TheBunny?

14. SydneyS

Nov 28, 2008
    Student/Classroom Aide
    Philadelphia
    Like i've said, I've experinced no framerate issues. For a frame of reference, I'm using an ipod touch 1g

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    How smooth is it on yours? Is it comparable to Dizzy Bee or MouseAbout? I'm using iPhone 3G with 6.6gb free, but the framerate is like those floppy disk games back in 486 era.

16. swift

swift Member

Nov 30, 2008
    I had the same experience... terrible framerate (on my iPhone 3G) and lack of multitouch in the controls. I'd recommend waiting for an update before buying it.

17. smartGuy

smartGuy New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    What a RIP-OFF!

There is something fishy going on. This is a total rip-off of a MUCH better phone game that has been horrifically ported to iPhone via these cyberHull people. There aren't even any credits in the game!

If you want to play the REAL Hamster house go to glu.com, and learn about Hamster Mansion.

I don't know who these cyberHull people are, but they aren't Glu, and this is a terrible example of trying to cash in on someone else's work! Give the original developers credit! Go get the Glu version!

http://www.glu.com/noram/pages/product.aspx?pr=Hamster+Mansion

18. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    :eek::eek::eek:

Whoaaaa... I feel really bad if it's true that they're ripping off one's work. It's indeed weird that they spend so much time crafting the characters, story, levels, etc yet leaving the control and framerate like that.

Cmon Glu, bring the real Hamster Mansion to iPhone!

19. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    wow, total port. Not worth .99 anyway. I was hopingfir an update but that SUCKS BIG TIME

20. smartGuy

smartGuy New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Don't be fooled. Different company, same game. CyberHull are crooks! Isn't it obvious when you compare the crappy overlay buttons with the original game's art?

This is so wrong... I wouldn't give these guys .99 for anything.