iPad Hamster Dash

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BSEJames, Nov 2, 2008.

1. BSEJames

BSEJames Active Member

Nov 2, 2008
    #1 BSEJames, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
    Just wanted to let everyone know Brain Stain's first game, Hamster Dash, was approved for sale in the App Store last night.

Hamster Dash is a puzzle-arcade game in which you use the touch screen to rotate tubes to guide a hamster through a maze. The level is complete once the hamster has visited all of the tubes in the maze. As you progress the hamster moves faster and the mazes become more complex making the game more challenging.

I'd love to hear what you guys think and any suggestions on how the game could be improved.

iTunes Link:
    itms://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=295232313&mt=8&s=143441

Screenshot:
    [​IMG]

2. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Looks neat! But a little pricey. I'll wait and see how it goes :)

3. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I had the BB version of this, and judging from the screenshots it was very similar... Basically you control that little guy and try to get all the nuts (looks like almonds) but as i recall it was all about timing... he got into all sorts of mischief so maybe this will be good!

4. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    isn't this like floverload except with hamsters?

5. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
  6. BSEJames

BSEJames Active Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Actually, you don't directly control the hamster at all. After a 5 second head start the hamster will start moving in whatever direction he is facing. You manipulate where he goes by rotating the tubes in front of him. If he falls out along the way you loose a life. It is a little more like floverload as break5 describes. One big difference is that your not trying to direct the hamster to a goal/exit. You are trying to get him to visit every tube in the level. You are allowed to visit the same tube multiple times as well as make the hamster go in a loop. As you enter each tube it turns green. Once all the tubes are green the level is cleared.

I like to think of the game as a sort of reverse pac-man. In pac-man you have to visit every part of the maze by eating all of the pellets while avoiding the ghosts. In hamster dash instead of controlling where "pac-man" goes you control the maze. In the original concept I also had spiders in the tubes that you had to avoid letting the hamster run into much like the ghosts in pac-man. That version ended up making the game too hard to play so they were removed. There are bonus items to collect along the way like in pac-man. The one seen in the screenshot is supposed to be a sunflower seed :p

7. BSEJames

BSEJames Active Member

Nov 2, 2008
  8. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #8 BrettArchibald, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
    OK, so based on the other posts here, we've established that it's not necessary to create an endless loop for the hamster to go through just the once, and that the hamster can in fact go through various sections of pipe multiple times...

But what happens when the hamster reaches an "end-piece" of pipe? A pipe-section that's open at one end but closed at the other end?
    Does he turn around and continue back along the pipes?
    I assume so, but I'd just like clarification on that, thanks.

9. riceman360

riceman360 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    any more reviews on this? is it similar to the puzzle game from Bioshock on the 360?

10. PlayScreen

PlayScreen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Reminds me of the pipe-puzzles in BioShock. Very nice.

11. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    looks like a port from a game i played similar to this on the web

12. BSEJames

BSEJames Active Member

Nov 2, 2008
    You are correct, the hamster will turn around if he reaches a one way tube. This can be used to your advantage when guiding the hamster around...

13. BSEJames

BSEJames Active Member

Nov 2, 2008
  14. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    I'm very tempted indeed, but so far, still un-decided... I think a gameplay video on YouTube might convince me. Any chance you can show us this game in action?

15. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    That second review you linked to says:

Is this correct? You don't mention this in your gameplay description on the App-Store.
    If this is true, then I'm not sure I like the sound of this very much... I'd invariably be playing this game sitting upright, holding my iPhone pretty much upright-ish, and I wouldn't want my hamster coming downwards faster than he goes upwards. I'd prefer (and expect, tbh) him to be travelling at a constant speed.
    I might also occasionally play this game lying down in bed or on the couch. In those cases I'd have to now get to used to the idea that the hamster now travels faster when going sideways!

To counter this, I'd have to play the game with the device flat on my lap, like a tray... Or I'd have to constantly be rotating the phone around and around to make sure the hamster isn't travelling down too fast...
    And neither of those are attractive propositions, to be honest...

Please tell me this reviewer either made a mistake, or it's something we can turn off.
    If I wanted a game that does this, then I'd buy Labyrinth.

16. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I have this game, and yes, the hamster will speed up when you tilt the ipod.

I don't have it installed right now because the name is too long and it messes up my row of icons :) I am a bit anal about that and prefer shorter names.

17. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Thanks for the answer. That sucks though... :(
    Can I ask a couple of follow-up questions however:
    - Is there that much of a speed difference between going up and down?
    - Can you play the game properly with the device held permanently in one upright-ish position? Or do you have to keep on rotating the device as you play?

I can empathise with you on that. I don't know why some developers don't abbreviate their long titles when transferred onto the iPhone...
    Still though, if it's a good game, I'd keep it on there, even with the ellipsis.

18. BSEJames

BSEJames Active Member

Nov 2, 2008
    BrettArchibald,

The tilt feature is not an integral part of the gameplay. The tilt feature is used to speed the hamster up when you have connected a series of tubes and don't want to wait for him to crawl through them at normal speed. When you return the iPhone/iPod to an upright position the hamster will slow back down to normal speed.

There is a threshold that must be met before the hamster will speed up. This is so the hamster doesn't accidentally speed up if you tilt the device just a little. You pretty much have to want him to speed up.

I agree 100% that a gameplay video would be helpful. I'm not sure how other developers make those work. We tried 2 different cameras, both in the light and in the dark. The video just came out blurry and shaky either way. We tried to do a screen capture of the game running in the simulator as well... you just don't get a good feel of the game that way.

We are likely to make another video attempt for the 1.1 version of the game. If anyone has any suggestions for video capture we would love to hear them.

-James

19. radiostar

radiostar Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Gee..
    What a name..:eek:

20. BSEJames

BSEJames Active Member

Nov 2, 2008
    #20 BSEJames, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
    For those who have been considering Hamster Dash lately I just wanted to let you know we just dropped the price in anticipation of the update we are about to release. If you like simple puzzle games that keep you on your toes give it a try... its less than a cup of coffee or a soft drink at most places 8)

-James