Universal Halo: Spartan Strike (By Microsoft Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I decided to buy this one because of the TA review.

I play this exclusively with the Madcatz Micro, and it plays like a dream. Awesome movement controls, good overall control scheme giving you complete aiming with grenades and weapons.

I also love how this has FULL MFi support meaning even menus can be navigated with the controller.

2. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    I can imagine that it plays better on an iPad. The way you have to move your thumb is longer as it is on an iPhone so sensitivity wont be that much of an issue here probably. But on a tiny 4inch screen? It's aweful. I doubt that they will do something about it. Like, add an sensitivity slider to the settings screen.

3. TheNoobOfTheCentury

TheNoobOfTheCentury Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Any way to transfer data from phone to pad?

4. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Very beautiful game, so good to see halo on IOS but the controls arent as good as it should be, still I'll give 5 stars as its a beautiful game

5. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    #85 kopicha, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    Just like with TA review. I also mentioned similar thing in earlier thread prior to the review. The control is not as bad as it seems to be. When I have access to my horipad (while at home), sure I will choose to play with the pad instead simply for that console experience with proper physical control. more over it make sense since I paid a lot for the controller and just makes more sense to use it with games that can utilize it. However while I am on the move I don't have the game pad with me for sure (not so handy to bring around like stratus mini) so I play with touch control instead. And honestly the more I play with it the more I feel the control is good enough. Not the best but does get the job done with ease. It's hard to describe with words but it does indeed work very well. I also do notice there's some kind of aim assist with the right stick. The same advise I would give which I have mentioned earlier. Try to reduce your thumb movement. You will notice it require very little movement on your thumb to move your character around. Once you get the hand of it especially after numerous play thru it just become natural thing and you no longer feel the same anymore. The fact is lately if I am playing on my bed I too never use the game pad but touch control instead since I am lying down with comfort. With all that said I have to also say I am playing it via iPad. Not sure the device you playing on. It might be different for phone (which I quit gaming on phone for ages already) as I did hear from dev there is a slight difference in phone control as compare to tablet due to screen size.

Regardless hopefully things can change for you. Also to give some idea for those who are on the fence still because being worried with this so called issue. Cheers! :)

6. jgau

jgau Member

Jan 13, 2013
    I agree with this. The Moga Rebel is a fantastic controller and, although not cheap, it's my favorite accessory for my iPhone 6 plus.

7. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Just got this. How many hours of gameplay would you estimate? 30 missions - the first mission went fast, I'm hoping later missions are tougher/longer.

Also, is it possible to roll/dodge?

8. Shifaan

Shifaan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Thank you I will try to get used to it. But do you reckon Microsoft will put out an update to fix this?

9. Golden Boy

Golden Boy Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Financial Manager
    There isn't a dodge button or a dodge feature. Yes, missions do get increasingly difficult as you progress through the later levels.

Missions can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes, depends on if you actually try to kill all the enemies or just rush through it to complete a level.

There is certainly enough levels and side achievements to keep you satisfied for awhile.

10. kopicha

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Not that I notice that you can roll or dodge. You don't roll and dodge in halo games either btw. You need to take cover or use Spartan skills like shield regen which is how it works in other halo games too. So basically while this is in a twin stick format, they basically still retain that halo game play from their first person main game.

Not too far into the game myself either, I mostly playing assault atm since I would prefer to at least half done with the original before getting more into strike. More over I also aim for daily and weekly challenge as well as the grading so I didn't rush thru the missions. But from what I remember the dev did Mention the first game is around 3-4hrs while strike is approximately 4-5 which is slightly longer than the first mostly due to the stage layout. I think both game have same amount of missions in total.

11. ChubbyPig

ChubbyPig Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Student, Waiter
    Portsmouth, UK
    Yes, I'd recommend connecting both devices to a PC and download the program "iexplorer", there is a free version which does everything you need. In iexplorer find the Halo: SS app and open the documents folder inside. In the documents folder will be your game save so you can export the game save to your desktop. Go onto the ipad in iexplorer and navigate to the same documents folder and dump the file inside. This should be your easiest method to transfer, if you have any trouble, let me know, I have completed this process many times when sorting out emulators.

12. kopicha

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Honestly no idea if they will or ever intend to. Because I don't know if they really see this as an issue. The original assault does have pretty bad touch control from what I heard. Never own any windows mobile devices so never tried it myself. Some people said they updated the control for iOS release for the first game. Not sure how true also as I never played the original one on windows mobile. And strike have supposingly improve quite a bit on the control scheme when compared to the original. Maybe if they receive enough complains they might do some changes? Just a thought so I would say still don't get your hopes too high with it. But again I don't disagree the control can be further improve. But surely it's not broken to the point it's not playable either.

13. Shifaan

Jul 27, 2013
    Hmm alright then. Thanks for your help mate.

14. Shifaan

Jul 27, 2013
    Just wanted to ask one final question, does anyone think Apple will give me a refund for this game if I tell them that the controls aren't good? Sounds ridiculous, yes, but is it possible for that reason?

15. Samurix16

Samurix16 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Male
    USA
    Does this game work well on iPod 5?

16. kleerkoat

kleerkoat Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    nobody has answered the questions about cloud saves?

someone mentioned iExplorer but I thought the latest io update killed those programs? ifunbox is broken. thank you

17. Shifaan

Jul 27, 2013
    Got mine on iPod 5 and it works fantastic. From frame rate to graphics it's great. Except the control sensitivity too high. But otherwise it's a thumbs up.

18. Golden Boy

Golden Boy Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Financial Manager
    Cloud save is not enabled. Your only game save will be locked to whatever device you're playing on.

As for iExplorer and programs alike, I too thought the latest iOS update killed their functionality. Plenty of news in the past weeks confirm this notion.

19. kopicha

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    There is no iCloud support for both

20. Samurix16

Samurix16 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Male
    USA
    Thanks