Universal Halo: Spartan Strike (By Microsoft Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Apr 16, 2015.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Interface wise, this newer one is better. They added some better UI elements like grenade indicator, though i still wish they did the grenade activation differently.

2. julesantenor

julesantenor Active Member

Jun 15, 2014
    How's the replay ability?
    I hate it that once I finish a game there's nothing else to do.

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Jesus, is it really that difficult for frickin Microsoft Game Studios to get movement controls right?

This would be so good if they weren't so wonky

4. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    This is an awesome surprise! Spartan Assault is my favorite game on my windows tab and was waiting for Strike to come out. Had no idea they were planning on releasing it on iOS. Just bought the bundle!!

5. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Leaderboard and weekly daily challenges

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    So it's bad? Will the MFi support remedy this?

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I mean, they're usable but horribly fidgety and oversensitive and the "hitboxes," for lack of a better term, are all wonky.

Heard the controls were pitch perfect on the X1 for Assault, so I'm fairly certain that an MFi Controller would solve this issue.

Since you've got one, don't hold back. Game is pretty great

8. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    The controls are really wonky and make it frustrating to play. Twin stick shooters on iOS are my favorite genre. So I have experience. I don't even want to play that's how wonky they are.

Billy

9. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    #49 Grimstone82, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Yeah the controls for Spartan assault were pretty wonky but by no means were they game breaking. You get used to them after awhile. The developer did acknowledge the problems and claimed that they were improving them drastically for Spartan Strike so we'll see. People are mentioning MFi controllers, is it confrmed that the games support them? Because that would be AMAZING.

10. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I dunno about you guys but the movement was working pretty well for me. I only felt off for about a couple minutes now I don't notice a thing. I guess the sensitivity is higher than normal but you should adjust pretty easily if you play one level.

11. TheNoobOfTheCentury

TheNoobOfTheCentury Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    I have the same question.

12. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Yes I confirm it few pages earlier for both Assault and Strike that it's fully supported even for the game menu. Play just like any twin stick shooter on console when playing with MFi pad.

13. TheNoobOfTheCentury

TheNoobOfTheCentury Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    #53 TheNoobOfTheCentury, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Also is there a survival mode? Not a mission that tasks for you to survive for X amount of time, but an actual Age Of Zombies type survival mode? Thanks a lot!

14. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Many writers who primarily review desktop and console titles sometimes take issue with touch controls just because they are touch controls, no matter the implementation. But while I can't speak for the original Windows Mobile iteration, it seems the reports of control issues might have been right this time. Microsoft/343/Vanguard botched the movement controls. The movement stick is over-sensitive and inexact, and the Spartan moves and turns in jerks and twists.

Another annoyance is that ranged attacks have a small autoaim compensation that can't be turned off, and that grenades auto-target the closest enemy in the direction the Spartan is facing. These are the "concessions" some developers believe the platform requires, but that only serve to dumb down gameplay and remove manual control from the player (and that fly in the face of all similar titles that allow full manual targeting to great effects).

The jerky, inexact movement I'm actually hoping is a bug. With the vast number of dual stick shooters for the platform who have this control method down smooth and pat, it seems unlikely that Microsoft and their associated developers would settle for something so uncalibrated and clumsy.

Until this potential bug is fixed, I can't recommend this over the Steam version (which sells at the same price, with the same bundled discount for this and the original). But even if it is, the auto-compensation and automatic grenade targeting is enough that I, at least, will probably purchase Spartan Strike for the PC (and return to my Steam copy of Spartan Assault as well).

15. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    May I know the size of file installation?!

16. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    825mb installed file size.

17. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Do these have iCloud support? Thanks!

18. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    These come out the same day as the Star Wars trailer??? Seriously, are you guys trying to kill me? :D

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Good words Ayjona, good words

20. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    If you had to pick one of the two games, which would it be?