Universal Halo: Spartan Assault (By Microsoft Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Apr 16, 2015.

1. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Play modern combat 5 then talk to me. That's how controllers can be twitchy

2. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Loooolll so true.

3. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    #83 kopicha, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Did they add MFi controller support already? i didn't know as I deleted the game when it went free. But it's odd thou as I did play with controller on android for MC5 and its fine at least to me.

4. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    IGN reviewers (much like many other writers who primarily review desktop and console titles) sometimes take issue with touch controls just because they are touch controls, no matter the implementation. But while I can't speak for the original Windows Mobile iteration, it seems they might have been right this time. Microsoft/343/Vanguard botched the movement controls. The movement stick is over-sensitive and inexact, and the Spartan moves and turns in jerks and twists.

Another annoyance is that ranged attacks have a small autoaim compensation that can't be turned off, and that grenades auto-target the closest enemy in the direction the Spartan is facing. These are the "concessions" some developers believe the platform requires, but that only serve to dumb down gameplay and remove manual control from the player (and that fly in the face of all similar titles that allow full manual targeting to great effects).

The jerky, inexact movement I'm actually hoping is a bug. With the vast number of dual stick shooters for the platform who have this control method down smooth and pat, it seems unlikely that Microsoft and their associated developers would settle for something so uncalibrated and clumsy.

Until this potential bug is fixed, I can't recommend this over the Steam version (which sells at the same price, with the same bundled discount for this and the sequel). But even if it is, the auto-compensation and automatic grenade targeting is enough that I, at least, will return to my Steam copy of Spartan Assault, and probably purchase Spartan Strike for the PC as well.

5. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Does it support iCloud saves? Thanks!

6. jgeirge

Apr 8, 2015
    No iCloud support. Also, is anyone else having issues with MFi controllers? My MOGA connected fine but now Spartan Assault doesn't recognize it.

7. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    I couldn't agree more #

8. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    If no one has said it yet, then I will. While the aiming and firing with the right stick is good enough, the movement of the left stick isn't as fluid as I would like. Instead of pushing the direction you'd like to face, the touch controls take the tiniest twitch movement as a command to turn, which means your aim is thrown off a bit. The item pickup button could be bigger too, as it's not as responsive as it could be when swapping out for a weapon on the ground.

Other than that, they're actually excellent games!

9. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Despite having the same little complaints everyone else has.....really think this is a great mobile game. You are playing Halo on your mobile device which is pretty cool. Yes, it's not as good as on a console, but being able to play this on the go is fantastic. It's a pretty deep game with expansive levels.

10. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Yea, I'm totally agreeing with everybody about the twitchy controls. I mean, they aren't HORRIBLE, just over sensitive maybe? It's nothing that I would consider a deal breaker or anything. Just something to think about before buying. I will say that the game is fun as hell....wait, is hell actually fun? I've never been there. Can anybody confirm that? Anyway, I will say that I own every Halo game, but only have played each of them a little bit. I never really got into it for some reason, but kept buying the new games hoping it would click with me. So I'm I was totally neutral going into this game. I had no expectations at all, but after playing this one for an hour maybe, I'm really liking it. Besides the sensitive controls, this is an awesome dual stick shooter. It's beautiful looking too. I really wish I had a tablet newer than the ipad 2 because this probably looks really good on an Air. I'm looking forward to playing the other one now. I'd say if your on the fence, take the chance. Especially if your into these top down dual stick shooters. 10 bucks for the bundle is a steal for these games.

11. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Bought the bundle now and tried it with controller.Man,it looks and plays SO good.And it's f*cking Halo on my iPad :) Sounds,music,vehicles.All there.The same day the new Star Wars Trailer arrived.Brilliant.

Only thing i would like to see improved:a sensitivity option for controller.I love the madcatz micro but it has quite big dead zones arround the stick center (and it's my second madcatz with this behavior,had to return the first one for a different reason).For most precise aiming i would love to lower the sensitivity as i do in other shooter as well.

Besides this i have nothing to complain.

12. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT

Not for my horipad, turn on sync and immediately recognized. The game remember the controller setting too the next time you play and if you don't have the game pad connected before launching it, it will auto prompt to revert back to touch or just turn on your game pad to use MFi instead

13. Silver Light Storm

Mar 3, 2014
    I have an IPhone 4s with IOS 8 so you think my device can run this game?

14. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I played it on my 4S before I installed it on my iPhone 5 and although I only played a little bit on there, it ran pretty smooth. I didn't have any issues at all.

15. schnedi

schnedi Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2015
    love this games, run pretty well in my devices.

the touch controls are good for me.

16. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Wow ###

17. jgeirge

Apr 8, 2015
    #97 jgeirge, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    So I should plug my device in before launching the game? I've just never had complications with any other game before.

Edit: still testing & trying to get it to work. And the controller is not recognized at all by the game. It's a MOGA ace power

Edit: Found out that it is this game alone that has MFi issues, Spartan Assault works great with both plug in & Bluetooth controllers

18. bestkevin

bestkevin Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    #98 bestkevin, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Btw how do I use gernade? I seem to have trouble with it :/

Edit:nvm figured out

19. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    As someone else mentioned, you only need to move slightly on the left stick to get your dude to move. It's a little twitchy due to the later levels on the higher difficulty kind of demand it. The first three Chapters (not missions) are simple enough in terms of difficulty and how many dudes you are fighting at once but eventually they start throwing several elites at you at the same time that all rush you. I found the twitchy control of my Spartan to be a blessing in those missions.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here from what I've seen is that the IAPs are all gone and the weapon/item costs have been dropped mostly in half for each mission. They still appear to be one time use but they are significantly easier to earn and unlike the XBone version that I played, I actually am using those weapons due to having the XP for them. No coins is a great change.

So is the difficulty ramp. The game seems to have made it that the game gets progressively harder with smarter enemies later on. The original version that I played was super simple and to me not very difficult. Could have been due to the controller but it seemed easier. I've noticed more enemies and again, they do seem slightly smarter in the later levels where they actually flank and use tactics. I don't remember that in the original version. At least to this degree.

I've only played a little of Spartan Strike to see the differences (I'm almost through Assault) but it appears that Strike is a little more precise, has a little more depth to the visuals, and just seems like there is more going on at one time. Seems to be a good upgrade but I haven't completed or even played that one very much yet. Seems great but again, I'm only two mission in. I want to finish Assault again for the first time on iOS.

Overall this is a must buy if you like Halo or just want a story driven dual joystick shooter then this is a quality game and now more balanced than the original release. I bought the bundle and that seems like a great value. That price tag is even easier to swallow here if you like Halo.

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Completely agree with your entire write up. I'm really enjoying it. I haven't beaten SA but I'm skipping to SS just because I love it so much more. If you liked SA, you'll love SS. A superior improvement.