Universal Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander (By Massive Damage, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
  2. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    #102 Duke12, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    You didnt ask me but Air 10.3.3 here and crashing

3. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #103 Gwarmaxx, Oct 30, 2017

weird, same iOS... i think it's a matter of devices, iPad Air has 1gb ram, 6S has 2.

4. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I’m on iPhone 6+, iOS 11.0.3

Maybe my phone is too old?

5. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #105 Gwarmaxx, Oct 30, 2017

not too old, but it has half the RAM than 6S, and a newer iOS, that mainly means the RAM has more charge on it than mine with a previous iOS.

in short, i'm playing with a 2gb ram device with an old iOS, while you are in a 1gb device with a most recent and heavy iOS.

edit> when you are going to update an iOS, always remember that every new "number" brings substantial changes, and that means it makes everything heavier, specially on low-end devices.

6. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    iOS 11 has a RAM clearing feature which can help speed things up for a bit - might be worth a try.

Hold down wake/sleep until the power off slider appears. Then hold down home button and keep it pressed until it pops out of the power off screen and back to your home screen. Immediately boot the game - see if that’s any better?

7. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Unfortunately that didn’t help. Still crashed after maybe 7 minutes or so.

I don’t think what OS I’m using has to do with anything, before I updated to iOS 11 Halcyon 6 was crashing just as frequently.
    Ironically I only installed iOS 11 because 3 games I’m playing atm have severe problems with crashing, this one, Morphite and Warhammer Quest 2.

8. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #108 Gwarmaxx, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017

maybe i didn't explain it well before, it's not a matter of iOS, it's the RAM of your device... if it has 1gb is very likely that games with high RAM requirements, like those 3, are going to crash often... in my case i have all 3 installed and playing them regularly and haven't crashed even once, 'cause my device has 2gb RAM-

regarding iOS, it's obvious that every new iOS has higher RAM requirements (is also a way to sell new devices), so if you have a new one (7/8/or X), they are not affected 'cause have newer powerful chips and higher RAM, my 6S is on the edge now, stil good with 2gb, but no for so long... so if you think a bit, you can realize that 1+1=2, low RAM + demanding iOS & demanding games = probable crashes.

is it clear?

9. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Let me interrupt the bug reports to talk about how great this is.

Buying the game for my iphone felt like a bit of a risk, because reviews of the (non-lightspeed) PC version were mixed and I don't really like JRPG combat systems.

But this game is fantastic. The combat moves fast and is really fun because of the need to set up combos.

But really, the game's greatest strength is the depth and humor and evident love that went into the world building. I'm playing on the default difficulty and have got my main crew up to level 12, so I think I'm closing in on the end of the story now. But it has been a joy throughout. It gently pokes fun at SO MANY different sci-fi tropes, while creating a convincing universe with convincing characters. It really feels like I'm the last outpost of humanity, desperately moving my handful of ships and crew around to put out fires, always wishing I had twice as many people and five times as many resources. And if every now and then some cadets get high and trap themselves in a waste processor (or whatever), well, that's just another entertaining crisis to manage!

5 stars all day long. Thank you for bringing this to iphone!

When I get a chance I'll put this review on the app store as well.

10. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    words of wisdom :D

totally agree with you, it's a hell of a game!

11. Petr Mores

Petr Mores New Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Did anyone try on iPhone5 or iPad mini? Does the game run decently on older iOS devices?

12. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Your second point is not relevant as the game crashes even for him on iOS 10.

Read his reply ...

13. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #113 Gwarmaxx, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

it is relevant, just try to understand what i'm saying and read again the last equation...

his 6 was already on the edge with 10, still good but not for those games... you bet that on 6 with iOS 9 crashes turn less frequent (if it was still available and games support it)?

in my case, with a 6S, still can get iOS 11 without issues, but trust me, in a year iOS 12 will be a pain in the ass.

14. Repelstale

Repelstale Member

Jun 2, 2014
    I was all set to buy this game, but after reading this thread I’ve changed my mind. :eek: I’m on a iPhone 6 (with iOS 11), that means 1 GB RAM. Which works fine for every other game I’ve played so far. This might be the turning point for these devices though. Obviously I’m not going to upgrade my iPhone just to be able to play Halcyon, no matter how great it is. But more games with the same requirements are bound to follow.

Still, I hope that the game will get updates that will make it stable and playable on iPhone 6, as I’m still intrigued.

15. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #115 Gwarmaxx, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

anyway sometimes it's also a matter of how dirty is your iOS, in short how many apps have you tried and deleted regularly since you bought or formatted the device, too much junk on reg is always bad for every OS, so having your iOS clean enough could be a plus.

16. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Finished the game last night! Playing on the default difficulty.
    I was so sad when completing the mission "Save Halcyon 6" resulted in its destruction! Noooo...

I've moved the game to my "never delete" folder and I may try it on a harder difficulty at some point, but right now I have an urge to play Starbase Orion...

17. BlueTrin

Jun 21, 2012
    This is not relevant as it doesn’t not help him, there is not a solution for the game to work for him.

You can talk about iOS 3000 but how does that help him ?

18. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I’m having no luck with this game.
    I got my iPhone X now but the game is still unplayable not because of crashing but because all the windows and buttons are overlapping each other. Sad!

19. BlueTrin

Jun 21, 2012
    Are there a lot of issues with games or is it one isolated incident, I am thinking of buying one myself.

20. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I only got mine yesterday so I haven’t really had time to test that many games but so far this is the only one where I had serious issues.
    Other games I’ve tested, that aren’t optimized for iPhone X, just display two black bars on either side of the screen so gameplay isn’t affected.