Universal Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander (By Massive Damage, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Oct 19, 2017.

1. MassiveDamageInc

MassiveDamageInc Well-Known Member

#61 MassiveDamageInc, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    We're investigating the crash issues.. we had some crashes during testing on devices with less than 1GB memory but the ones at 1GB and above seemed fine. 2GB is our recommended though.

Optimal devices are: iPhone 6S and up, iPad Mini 4 and up, iPad Air 2 and up.

Please send any crash logs to [email protected] along with a description of what activity you were doing when it crashed.

Thanks for your patience while we try to figure this out.

Ken

2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

have no crashes on 6S 10.3.3

hey Ken, great work on this port, it's sure a GOTY for me, for a sci-fi/trekker/pixel art fan like me, this is "the perfect game"...

have you some new ideas/projects for it in the near future?

3. afisch

afisch New Member

Apr 27, 2013
    I have not seen an answer if it supports Cloud saves to play on iPhone and iPad ?

4. MassiveDamageInc

Currently it doesn't use iCloud saves but it's on our to-do list.

We're also investigating the crashing issue as top priority.

5. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    I'm finally deep enough in to be seeing how some of the systems work together (not that deep, some of my officers are lvl 4) and I am really impressed. Even the JRPG combat, which I usually hate, is interesting (so far) because of the combos that you can pull off. Although I am worried that there is a lot of healing, battles against enemies close to my strength take a long time.

6. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    No comparison, really. SO is a straight 4X while this is a mashup of 4x, JRPG, and Roguelike. They're just different.

7. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Does the game run on an iPhone 6?

The app description says something like Works with iPad 3 and iPhone 6s ... but iPhone 6 is more powerful than the iPad 3.

Thanks!

8. MassiveDamageInc

We're continuing to work on optimizations but for now we're recommending devices with 2GB ram. We're hoping to get this down to 1GB ram in the near future.

9. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    is this game procedural generation i.e (different each run through)
    if so I am in, the rest sounds perfect

10. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I think iPad 3 only has 1GB of RAM.

The first iPad with 2GB is the Air 2.

11. Citronaut

Citronaut Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    So just to be clear, if I'm running an original iPad Air with only 1 GB memory I should hold off on purchasing until there's (hopefully) word of better optimization? I'm really interested, but I don't want to be constantly fighting with crashes and lost save data.

Thanks!

12. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I am at the screen where I get to choose another officer. Just started not long.. I get 4 rerolls. What kind should I get? My first one was a strategist

13. MassiveDamageInc

Good news, our current build has much better optimizations for 1GB devices.

Along with the fix for the few people with problems loading saves, we're testing a new build today, hope to get it out the door later this afternoon!

Thanks for your patience everyone!
    Ken

14. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Hi guys I am playing on normal. While doing ground battle one of my officer kicked the bucket. I was asked to prepare funeral and got -5 morale. In that difficulty it's permadeath?

15. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeah, is always a permadeath, but you can restore the last save, right?

16. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    I haven't been tinkering with the save files.. Too many online games and I totally forgotten that function. Thanks bud I'll look it up

17. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Is it linear or procedural
    Is each run different

18. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #78 Gwarmaxx, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017

there are too many decisions to make, so is nearly impossible that it could be linear, i've played on PC and now on iOS, and only the first 10/15 minutes were similar, then all have depended by chosen paths and priorities, fleet or resource rooms made, alliances or hostilities with other races, and many other factors...

the game is really a gem if you like strategy and 4x games.

edit > btw, there are no runs here, it's not a rogue like, it's a huge campaign to conquer, dominate, defend, etc, your ranked officers can díe in battle and be replaced by new ones, so there's permadeath, but not in a rogue like way... the show goes on.

19. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Thanks for clarifying sounds like out there with a whole lot more going on including the rpg aspect I really like
    Thanks again

20. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #80 Gwarmaxx, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017

no, it's not like Out There, that's a rogue like, a run after run from start until you reach the final point, while this one is a campaign based, a long one, i don't really know if it has an end, it has a background story but hasn't a declared purpose, a final boss, you know what i mean?
    it's an old school strategy game, no linear story, no run after run, no infinite tries from start to reach the end... it has war, diplomacy, conquest, build, research, so you don't have to start from scratch every time, you just must grow up and dominate... in short, a kind of Civlization or Age of Empires mixed with a JRPG, more complex than a rogue like.