Universal Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander (By Massive Damage, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Smokfrog

Smokfrog New Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Empath
    Worldwide
    Attack bug

Long time fan of touch arcade, finally signed up after 4+ Years cuz this game is great. Reminds me of star command if it hadn’t just vanished into nothingness and been a wonderfully comprehensive experience like Halcyon 6.
    Found a breaker bug tho, luckily circumvented through a lucky auto save seconds before:

Sent a fleet to attack the C-something “flesh ship” aliens occupying one of my resources...during the trip I opened my To-Do list (bottom right taskbar)...entered combat with the Aliens attempting to extinct my righteous Federale race...exited my list via X button in ‘Engage Enemy’ screen...............re-entered map with access to all functions, except time refused to move forward in any way.

Anyway, love the game, hope this helps.

2. maxbrickem

maxbrickem Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Hey,

I'll throw in my 2 cents. The controls work well on my iphone plus. All tool tips are either displayed using a single touch or a touch and hold - the touch and hold will show a progress circle to show you how long you have to hold it before the tool tip displays. It takes about 1 second. I haven't seen any force touch tool tips.

3. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Thanks. I was hoping for that sort of clarification.
    Oh boy this is turning out to be one expensive week in the App Store for me. #

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Works on iOS 9.3.3 for anyone reading and wanting to know. Don't know why they limit these things to say ios10 when it works perfectly on lower iOS. Guess it maybe wasn't tested for that.

5. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    First off, I’m loving this game. Perfect fit for mobile and they’ve done a great job at implementing touch controls.

Unfortunately I’ve found a game breaking bug - I’m at day 91 and saved my game last night; when I reload the game now, the app just crashes out to the home screen. I’ve tried restarting my phone and also starting a new game, saving and then reloading the old save - same thing happens, just crashes out to home screen. Will email the devs and hopefully they can repair my save. ☹️

6. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

the old save is corrupt, happens to me also, but i regularly get saves on my own in case the autosave fails (i'm an old time vg player, this happens to me several times across the years in a lot of games).

delete that corrupted save and try another one ("last recent save" or "autosave") if you have one of them available.
    -

7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Hi and welcome to TA! Don't hesitate to post with us all more frequently!

8. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Yeah, that’s what I suspect too. Problem is that all 3 of my saves (1 autosave and 2 manual saves) all resulted in the same crash. So if it was a corrupted save, it happened to all 3 despite them all being saved st different times. Starting a new game, saving and loading that save appears to work ok - at least at the moment; I’m worried that a later game save might result in a similar issue.

When you say that it happens to you also - do you mean in Halcyon 6 specifically or are you talking generally ie save files in other games? I know what a corrupted save file is - I’m just trying to figure out if anyone else has had this specific problem with Halcyon 6 in particular? I’ve emailed the devs and one of their support guys has been swift to respond but he’s as stumped as I am. He’ll raise it with the dev team and hopefully they’ll figure something out. Until then, it’s time for a fresh start for me! #

9. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #49 Gwarmaxx, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017

i don't think is a specific issue with Halcyon 6, as i told you before it happened to me a lot of times through the years, mostly on PC games, but also on iOS, it's a common issue i guess. the problem are those games that don't have multiple saves slots, but in this case, thanks to a good dev team, we can save an delete manually as often as we want.

anyway, this game is a masterpiece, if you like the genre!

10. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Whats's up with all those wonderful games getting out these days? I am broke. And people say premium is dead.

Downloading...

11. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #51 Gwarmaxx, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017

premium is always the best way imho... or at least promo free complete games like Stranger Things... the rest is almost crap.

edit> anyway there's some exceptions, i'm playing The Pirate-Caribbean Hunt from a year + and can say that is really wonderful, IAPs are well balanced (rather don't need them to sail the caribbean sea), and the new sequel is in the same path, really good games without greed.

12. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Good game but:
    - no iCloud saves ?
    - game crashes often on iPad and iPhone 6 plus

13. syaman

syaman New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chanced upon a gameplay video of Halcyon 6 on an iPad. Interface seems very usable and well adapted for a touch screen. I’m sold!
    https://youtu.be/6EhX6un3F6U

14. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Can anyone compare this against Starbase Orion.

15. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Man I am on the most recent iOS beta and I cannot even get into the first fight without crashing. First time was before the battle began, and the second was right in the middle. Didn’t even have time to do a single thing.

Gave up after that. Don’t know if it’s the beta (which considering the relative app stability on the last many betas, it seems odd) or the game, anyone else in the same boat? I just got too disheartened to try again after the last crash

16. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

crashes!?!?

there's no known issues with this game, pal... maybe is the beta iOS...

17. revok

revok Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    UK
    I think this was asked but couldn’t find the answer is the £6.99 price a launch price and will be increased?

18. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    In a year that's been full of surprise releases, this game is right up there alongside Through the Ages and Age of Rivals.

It's a mashup of gameplay elements I had no idea I needed combined into a single game.

And it's the perfect game for mobile.

Love it!

19. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Good stuff

I’ve had my eye on this game for awhile and was just waiting to decide if I was buying on Steam or iOS.

Bought it today for my iPhone 6, just played the tutorial and can’t wait to get back to it.

Well done devs, will give some more impressions in a couple days.

20. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I'm consistently crashing when picking my first captain from the expanded list of captains where you can customize.

This is also my second game. Crashes almost immediately after the first load screen.