Haiti Relief?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MMP, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Yeah - I think, because I am a big match-3-fan - this is now the best time to get CHARMED.
    I hope it is a good game... :)

2. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Wow. I was grateful to you guys for the idea and the effort and the giving, but now I'm REALLY grateful to all involved and all who participated by making a purchase! I thought the money raised would be in the low four-figures. But WOW. This is fantastic.

3. Well, truth be told, a very large percentage of the money raised came from Freeverse.

I wasn't sure they would even be willing to participate before, but I am so glad I decided to contact them!

It looks like Charmed has raised about $110 so far. Two more days to go.

I'll probably end up topping that up to a nice round number though.

4. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I suspected that the larger portion might be Freeverse. My respect for them has grown exponentially and I am grateful that they were willing to participate.

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #125 Vovin, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

MindJuice, Flickitty - everybody here did his share as best as he could do.

The comminuty bought software (they might even not need or play, maybe), you devs were very generous to donate the money you earn these days - and to have participated, that's the only thing that counts. It doesn't matter who has cashed the most in, even if we have to show some respect to Freeverse.. :)

I heard from someone a few hours ago - and even if the pages are not updated yet, that on all the participating websites (apprelief, indierelief, appsforhaiti) the donations have easily cracked the

200.000$ barrier now!!!

6. Absolutely, and I am very thankful to everyone that participated!

Honestly speaking though, I was disappointed that we were not able to get more exposure than we did. We sent our press release out through numerous services, plus I also sent it directly to pretty much every major TV news show I could think of on all networks, but I don't think it got picked up anywhere.

We had/have a great collection of developers and games/apps for people to choose from, but the overall numbers just were not there for us.

That is definitely an amazing number! We will report near final numbers for appRelief.com sometime next week after most games are no longer participating and have emailed us their donation amounts.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

A dollar is a dollar and every dollar counts... ;)

8. MMP

MMP Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Now we just have to automate the process ;).

I think we got some decent exposure .. in fact here is the list:

Platform Nation

148Apps
    MTV Multiplayer Blog
    MobileGamesBlog
    Talk iPhone
    The Portable Gamer
    Review My iPhone App
    Art of the iPhone
    IGN
    IntoMobile
    Apple Links
    Freeverse Blog
    Joystiq
    Game Industry News
    App-reciation Reviews
    App Addict
    Games Nation
    TechnoBuffalo
    Xyris
    Marroni Electronic Entertainment
    App Advice
    NWCN
    Inside Social (Tech Out blog)
    The Insider (tripvine blog)
    Pocket Gamer
    Reno Gazette-Journal

I was surprised that TouchArcade didn't pick it up though since it started here.

9. AgentSimon

AgentSimon Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Male
    Game Designer
    Melbourne
    Well... it looks like Train Conductor should be donating more than $1000!!
    Can't give exact figures just yet because we haven't finished the donation period, but it should definitely be more than 1K. So thanks to everyone who picked it up so far.

We no longer appear on apprelief.com even though we're still giving (i think thats being fixed), so here's the app store link: http://bit.ly/8NHRr3

10. MMP

MMP Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Wow! Great news.

11. Charmed raised US$164 in 7 days for Haitian relief. Less than I had hoped, but every little bit helps!

I just rounded that up and donated CDN$200 through the RedCross.ca website.

Thanks to everyone who helped support App Relief so far, but remember, there are still apps participating until at least the end of the month, including some new ones!

Go check out the site now: www.appRelief.com

12. I was more thinking of widespread TV coverage to millions rather than to the smaller audiences of the listed sites and TA.

Pretty sure TA knew about appRelief.com, so I guess they had some reason to not mention the effort.

13. AgentSimon

AgentSimon Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Male
    Game Designer
    Melbourne
  14. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    It just struck me the other day, what if certain developers received, say, $200 from certain countries but can't cash it in from Apple?

Also, just a minor request to people - The Red Cross and other charities have been asking people not to specifically allocate their donations for going to Haiti relief, as the money for Haiti is quite substantial now but other efforts around the world are in more need of donations. And if it is earmarked only for Haiti, the charities can't ethically use any of that money for elsewhere in need of it.

15. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    $150 is the minimum payment that goes out from other countries. We already discussed this issue earlier in the thread- I got a few sales from places like Turkey.

I will still donate 100% of the sales, regardless of the country. I will never be reimbursed through Apple, but it is pretty obvious that those sales came through just because of AppRelief.com. So I don't mind donating.

Good point about donations being earmarked for Haiti.

16. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    That's good you're going to donate those purchases anyway :)

No no, it should be not earmarked for Haiti. :p

17. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    Skeleton Key and teh internets made slightly less than $60 during the week, so I donated $60 to the Red Cross.

18. Pheebau

Pheebau Well-Known Member

Bitwise Operations donation

Between indierelief and apprelief, we donated $175 to the red cross.

Thanks again guys for organizing such great effort.

--Frank