Hairline cracks in your iPhone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by learjetzoom, Jul 14, 2009.

1. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    So I've had this second iPhone3GS for a little over a week now and I already have a couple barely visible hairline cracks near the speaker and microphone ports on the bottom of my phone. I had this same problem with my three 3Gs as well. Is this an issue for every 3G/3GS phone? Its sad that Apple didn't redo the plastic shell for the 3GS. Seems like that would have been something simple to fix and would have added added some more value for those who are thinking about upgrading.

2. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I've had mine for 3 weeks now - I haven't had any problems with it, but it's kept in a case 24/7 so that might have something to do with it

3. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I would definitely say that keeping it in a case has something to do with it not getting scratched :p

4. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    i had that with my first 3g iphone, and took it too the apple store and they replaced it right then and there, as long as there's no other damage like if you dropped it or something.but now my one that was replaced with that has light coming from the side of the screen/casing, which is just another manufacturing fault. so i have to take it again, and get a new one so i can get that full plastic case thing they have(that looks like a big screen protector). i cant get it now because the spray they use can get into the iphone because of the spacing, and eff the thing up.

you can probably just take the 3gs to the apple store, and they will replace it im almost positive :)

5. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Mines perfect =D I dont use a case.

6. sundance kid

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    i just use my little sock thing i made, i realized hard plastic ones scratch the back of the iphones :/

7. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    I use an Oakley sunglass soft case for the phone. There are no scratches on the phone, not even the metal bezel. However, under very close inspection I can see 2 hairline cracks running from the microphone/speaker ports to the metal bezel. Barely visible, but very annoying when you pay $699 for a device.

8. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    I've always been proud of how well I've kept my Touch without a case and now I've got this great big bloody crack running along the screen after a bad fall on tarmac. Any ideas on what to do? Do apple replace screens for money? I'm not covered by AppleCare either.

9. sundance kid

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    yeah mostly the hairline cracks they replace at the apple store for free, i and some coming from my camera it was like a little spiderweb, there stress cracks so they deem them manufacturing default.