GameClub Hail to the King: Deathbat (by Avenged Sevenfold)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 15, 2014.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It sucks that you have to post this sort of "disclaimer" or back up your actions, but what the hell can you do? Both of us are defending a game that needs no defending at all. If people would just take a leap of faith, forget all (positive and negative) reviews, videos and comments about the game and just try this out...I'm sure they'll find tons and tons to love about it. Alas, it's looking like 95% of the people complaining about the game haven't tried it (perhaps because "ERMAGAWD FAIV DOLLIRS~!") and/or can't get past the graphics...which is a bloody shame. The handful of guys who have given this a try are falling in love with it, despite the faults. Oh well...don't wanna try it? Your loss. *throws arms up in the air*

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Disappointing a users given the game one star in the initial post but hasn't explained what's so wrong with it in his view. Like it or love it but it's a forum for discussion. Tell us why 1 star

3. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    That's why I kinda stayed out of this thread as much as possible. It was turning out to be an argument between people who have played the game and liked it and people who watched a couple of videos and hated it. It was a never ending battle. I stand by my original comments so far. I'm still loving the game.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    What's the installed size ?

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    911 mb

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    As do I. This game has a tiny special place in my heart and (like I said in the comment section of the GOTW article) a massive special place on all my devices for the rest of time...as long as it's supported. :p

7. PlaystationPaul

PlaystationPaul New Member

Dec 13, 2012
    #107 PlaystationPaul, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    I'm not the biggest fan of metal and haven't even heard of this band, but I love, I mean frikkin LOVE games that have a "metal" vibe in their environments, I'm talking Brutal Legend, Darksiders etc I also love a lot of the games that have been name checked in this thread Legacy of Kain, PS1 fantasy hack n slash, hell even Castlevania 64 (it's good, AVGN has a lot to answer for with that one). I also have a soft spot for overhead dungeon crawlers, Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance, Gauntlet Dark Legacy, yay. So something tells me I should give this a go despite the fact that many people seem to think it's crap. Unfortunatly the biggest caveat for me is it's on iOS7 and I'm still rockin iOS6 with no plans to update till I get a new device, seems like this game doesn't actually need to be running on 7 but oh well, I'll wait, in watch list anyway.

Edit - Come to think of it as this is also on Android I wonder if there's any plans to bring it to Ouya? Would be perfect for me, would even shell out more for it (Ouya tends to be more expensive than iOS but generally worth it for the extra "console" frills). Devs?

8. PlaystationPaul

PlaystationPaul New Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Castlevania 64 was actually quite well received at the time of release if you check the archived reviews from back then, AVGN is probably responsible for the hate it gets, love the guy but he really didn't get that game, to be fair (from his own admission in a later vid) he didn't know how to play it properly and got stuck over something really stupid. He's also locked in the old school "classic" CV tip and clearly finds it hard to appreciate anything that's moved on from that, especially 3D. He thinks Super CV on SNES is the best one which wouldn't even dent my CV top 10 to be honest. The camera issues are nothing compared to the myriad of problems many old school CV games have. The Legacy of Darkness version of 64 is even better.

9. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    #109 bigjack66, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    This game is dreadful and severely broken! I'm stuck on a bit where I can't get to the cursed corpse that I defeated already and even when I did and found the key, I couldn't find where it was supposed to go! I haven't seen anything this bad in a very long time! Maybe some one could explain why I spent a thousand coins on the poison sword only to get 2 more hit points of damage? That was a complete waste of time and very frustrating, just like the game itself. Don't take the plunge! It's an excersise in futility!
    DeathBat? More like dingbat!
    The 1990's called they want their game back!

10. DeathbatGameDev

Oct 15, 2014
    Bigjack -
    Everything you seem to be explaining is a part of the game. You can't figure out where to go? Well figure it out. Do you want a hand to pop up and lead the way for you? Not trying to be cynical, just wondering.

"I'm stuck on a bit where I can't get to the cursed corpse that I defeated already and even when I did and found the key, I couldn't find where it was supposed to go!" I'm not sure if this is your problem or an actual glitch. But then again, it doesnt seem like you want to figure things out, you just want to walk through the game and kill stuff, fair enough. You will only be much more disappointed further along.
    Also if you bought a sword and it only has plus 2 in terms of the melee attack, it surely has a much more powerful charged magic attack. It may also cater to someones style of play. Have you ever thought of that? or do you just look at numbers and rage about it? You must be young, because I consider "1990 wants their game back" as a compliment. :)

11. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #111 Qwertz555, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    Nice saturday evening, nobody is disturbing me at home, all time on my side to beat this game...what i just did. Fabulous fun this was, and not one boring minute, or crash !

Wondering, if i would buy the M.Shadow sword for nightmare mode, would it be as equal as playing normal mode with the "most expensive blue sword all to the right" ?

Edit: this game grows even bigger on me with the fact that i started Nightmare mode with my old sword (the best available) right away. Chapeau to the Devs and i changed my rating to 5 stars with a big happy smile. Imho, it simply deserves it.

My game of the week. Basta.

12. Lucidra

Lucidra Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Bought the game after reading metalcasket's review and I'm glad I did. This game, while falling slightly short in terms of combat or even graphics (which I beg to differ) is one of the games that give me the feeling that it's truly, complete and the way the dev wanted it to be.

I'm gna get so much stick for this but I really really love this game, it's hard to find games that offer expansive and beautiful levels with enemies and traps that make you think twice before yoloing with your sword. The levels are huge but don't let it fool you into thinking that's it's a straightforward run-through-every-level-while-mashing-sword-button affair. There're mini games (upon collection of the 3 deathbats in the level) and a game-long artwork collection quest of sorts that give you something else to do besides the main quests.

The game is hard, that's what it was intended to be and if you like being spoonfed about what to do from location to location during a quest then this game is evidently not for you. There was a certain challenge to the game, having to seek out your objectives really brought me back to all the tough games I've played in the past where you were thrown into the game and left to figure out what to do. It really leaves a sense of satisfaction after hacking down enemies and finishing the level.

This game was not meant to make you go 'wow look at dem graphics' or anything of that sort, but I've found that the graphics, while not too-notch, are good enough to make me come back to this game even if it's 2-3 years later and every game sports graphics like Infinity Blade III.

Overall a great game for me, only made is past the first 2 stages but I've found the experience to be very satisfying and I feel that it definitely deserves the GoTW title. Just my two cents.

13. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    To Deathbatgamedev,

Hi, i am interested in buying this game and from watching gameplay videos, my opinion is that
    1) it begs for a dodge/roll to be implemented. Are there plans to add anything of that sort into the gameplay? That, and
    2) making the sword swing feel like a sword, because from the videos i have the "feel" of a dagger or switchblade.

Graphics i am ok with, it's meant to be that way.
    Music is perfectly fitting for the game.
    I have no problem spending money on a game that i will enjoy ~ i bought Wayward Souls on day 1 and that's 5$ i am never regretting, i want to pay for games that i enjoy. So, if i could get an answer for my questions, i can decide. Thanks in advance.

14. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Love a few spicy replies from a dev like this defending his game. Knocks me off the fence to want to buy this game now. Looks to be a great game, plus helps that I'm a fan of Avenged Sevenfold as well. Gotta wait till I can pick up an iTunes card first...

15. pixelart

pixelart New Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Another false statement... Cant hit enemies... Thats just not true... What a waste of time you are

16. lyace21

lyace21 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Lol I love how bigjack66 just rages when he cant win the argument "DELETED! Im outta here!" :D
    Seriously, I wasnt sure about buying this game. Im just a casual A7X listener, I like some of their stuff but not ALL of it. Yet I love this game! It really brings me back to playing those older games where "Im not sure what the heck to do so I'll just explore!" And boy, its satisfying as hell! I still cant find the 3rd Deathbat in the first level but I like that feeling cuz I keep coming back to it every now and then to find it. Im just not good at finding stuff I guess haha :)

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Week nominee...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hail to the King: Deathbat was nominated for voting in Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Week to occur over the next three days. Participants may vote for their favorite release from the week of October 16. Developers may not vote for their own game, voters must be pre-existing Touch Arcade members.

Vote here --> http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=3379106

18. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I don't know where else to go for this so I'm asking, can anyone tell me where all 3 green bat chests are hidden in the first level? I found 2 but dang it I can't find the last one , I found one down a corridor right before the massive staircase upwards the corridor was line with green lights. The other one was before the castle part protected by a bunch of traps and on a lone piece of land surrounded by lava. I just can't find the other one. On my list of bats found the second and third bat are filled in green so I'm assuming I'm missing the first bat. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

19. pixelart

pixelart New Member

Oct 16, 2014
    One is in Big Mamas arena... Go north and break the destructable wall behind the tree... Hope that helps

20. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Yes, thank you. I've actually been able to find them all now all of a sudden. For some reason I kept missing that one, but each level after that I've been able to find all 3 on first play through. On another note, I like this game even if the combat is a little basic. I noticed under the main list of weapons owned even after buying all the weapons in the shop there's still quite a few spots left open. Is that from the IAP? When you purchase the members from the band to play? Each one comes with their own weapon so I thought those filled the empty spots, either that or there's more weapons out there somewhere like how you receive the second sword in the game. Also this game appears to be much larger than I originally thought. I thought here were only three pieces to the medallion but after I got three I noticed there's at least two spots open and what appears to be 4 or 5 more greyed out levels. I'm not sure, I've only gotten as far as 3 pieces of the medallion so I don't know how many more levels there are to go but I'm enjoying the experience. I pretty much have been farming the bonus levels until I can buy the weapons in the shop, makes the game a bit easier. Althôugh with a little patience the game isn't that difficult to begin with.