GameClub Hail to the King: Deathbat (by Avenged Sevenfold)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 15, 2014.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I still love those early games, Hero of Sparta I and II and Dungeon Hunter I and II. Give me a hack and slash with lower graphics anyday over a 2 gig type game.

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Sure, there's an audience for everything.

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, the thing that bugs me about that hands-on is the fact that it sounds like my impressions after playing the first five minutes only. Also, I'm sorry...but look at the textures in Swordigo. That game had truly laughable graphics, yet here it stands all this time later as a true mobile classic.

4. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Please, tell me that reviewer didn't get paid for that.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    The AppSpy video or my impressions?

6. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I'm sure he meant the video.

Though that's only a hands-on, not a review. You are supposed to just play and say whatever comes to your mind without much thought.

7. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The AppSpy video. It was anything but professional.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup. That pretty much summed it up. The video was made without any hint of thinking.

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    AppSpy hands on videos are consistently some of the least informed videos I've ever watched. They struggle with remembering the price and present plenty of inaccuracies as facts.

I remember cringing through the Bug Heroes 2 one.

10. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    It's the only notable game out tonight. A7X's music's ok I prefer something heavier. Gameplay looks ok but graphics look quite nice I'll give it a go.
    I thought WildBlood did this pretty well!

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's been a little bit since I've played, so I played a couple of hours to make sure I wasn't insane and that James dude was right...but nope, still frickin' fantastic.

I find it highly amusing how the dude thinks there's absolutely no challenge in the game. I don't know if you guys are aware of how hard the game is, but take for example Bat Country (the third level). You have to crawl through 3 caves to obtain crystals, right? Well yeah...would you believe that even if you make it to the third cave and waste all your lives, you'll have to start over from the very, very beginning of the level? Yeah, pure old school mentality, and I can't even count the number of times I've died...using the power-powered M. Shadows. Easy my ass.

12. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Odd how in a supposedly climatic moment of a boss (or mini boss) encounter there is no pumped up music?

The big momma red creature doesn't look very good to begin with and in dead silence the encounter seems depressing. Heck most "boss moments" in any game wouldn't feel threatening without appropriate music so this makes me scratch my head...

Hope this has been fixed... would suck if every boss encounter was in dead silence like that.

I enjoyed the Legacy of Kain games back in the day but I seem to remember them being full of puzzles to balance out the fighting sections.... hmmmm

13. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I'm quite surprised, I frequently listen to Appspy's video reviews and Hand's On and I've never heard them as unfairly opinionated as that. Even with games they clearly don't like, they usually have no problem pointing out the good from the bad and I don't believe I've ever heard them say "this is a big pile of crap" which is basically what that video says. I have to say I was really excited about a new hack n slash dungeon crawler and it has coloured my own opinion, I'll have to find out more about it. I personally tend more towards rpgs, so something like Wildblood, I didn't get on well with at all, not keen on the moving from one set area to another, defeating waves of enemies, I find it really boring.

14. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Finally watched the video and to be fair, it does look really really poor. Like stuff being made for the iPhone back in 2008 or something.

Eh, really disappointing week.

15. themostunclean

themostunclean Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    True, it reminds me of some of the bottom-of-the-bargain-bin games I played back in the PSX days. I'd only spend $5 then too and still feel ripped off.

No collision sounds when hitting enemies, just the swooshing of the sword. Makes it seem like you're attacking with a wiffle-ball bat.

16. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    I was excited for this game but after watching a few videos I gotta say, I'm gonna pass. This looks dreadfully low budget. Aren't A7X like filthy rich now? I met them at BWI once, they were really nice but ya...this game doesn't look that nice.

17. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I don't mind low budget retro graphics. In fact I often love them. But I agree that the game from the videos seems undercooked. The lack of sounds and constant "whiff" sound seem disjointed. I do like the overall look of the game and other stuff.. just not sure this is the hack and slash I've been looking for. Especially with the hack and slash bit seeming a bit neutered.

18. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Meh... After all this I've decided to shine this one on. Was kind of thinking of picking this up, but nah, pass.....

19. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Graphics are ok but fighting is extremely basic. After WildBlood this is not looking good at all! But I've bough it now, so I'll persevere and see how it goes.

20. Septim

Septim Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    It has arrived. Been watching this one a long time and now the wait is over.