Hacking the apple in-line remote/mic earbuds with higher quality buds?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Vertrucio, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Vertrucio

Vertrucio New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I got an iTouch for a grad gift recently, but the only problem I'm having now is lack of decent physical controls that I can quickly access while occupied, such as driving, exercising, at work, or even just going about my day with it in my pocket.

Turns out the trendy new in-line remote and mic for the new buttonless ipod shuffle works with the itouch 2nd generation, which is great since while there are other in-line remote options, they're all flashy or bulky, where that little nub on the apple ones seem to do the trick. Unfortunately, as usual per apple audio products, the earbuds are crap, even the $80 in-ear phones are crap.

I'm considering buying a pair of the cheaper $30 apple in-line remote/mic earphones and hacking off the buds, then soldering the wires with a better pair like those from my current sennheisers, and taping it up with electrical tape. This way I get a quality pair of in-ear headphones, the in-line remote functionality, all without throwing too much money away.

Is this a good idea or am I just kidding myself?

I also heard about some kind of DRM chip in these new headphones, will this affect my plans?

Has anyone else tried this, or perhaps are there alternatives from other manufacturers?