iPad GW Octopus

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Fazzy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

Looks like another game clone from Nintendo has entered the app store...

Thoughts?

2. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Kinda cool in a retro-80's kind of way. i'd love to play these (both GW Chef & GW Octopus), but there's no way i'll pay $1.99 each. Even $.99 is pushing it. Maybe when they get some more games like this and package them as 1 game, then i'll bite...

3. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I just got GW chef... While it is a very cool retro port, it probably isn't worth 1.99... Games got better for a reason. But it is a cool little blast from the past. I won't be getting the GW octopus, unless they drop it to .99

4. Exactly. I can't see the point myself. You may argue that these games are nice and simple to play. Well so is PapiJump and many others. I used to buy these type of games, but I will leave them where they are best kept- in the past.

5. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Sure, there's something about retro gaming for some people, but this like taking gaming back to the stone age. Pointless in my opinion.
    I just don't understand having a high powered device, to play (and pay) for such a "game", I really don't.
    I'm not telling people not to buy it, as whatever floats your boat, I just don't understand how that floats your boat. :)

6. Mr Charley, you said what I was trying to say, a lot better than I actually did.

7. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    #7 BATTLE BORN, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
    it's Bioshock for iphone! finally!
    [​IMG]
    ;)

EDIT: I guess nobody else thought that was funny haha

8. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    LoL, I understood ya :p
    But I agree My $1.99 would have been better spent at the chinese restaurant next door. I have such an impulse buy finger I need anti-app buying gloves or something. I have all the LED games and the aqua hoops and aqua punt. Now game and watch. WTH is wrong with me??? Maybe I am a retro junkie in denial...

9. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I understand the appeal

I understand the appeal of these "retro" game ports. But even so I wouldn't pay $1.99 for just one of these retro games. Maybe for a pack of retro games and only if I had fond memories of playing them.

I've found that some of the games for the iphone remind me of my Commodore 64 game playing days. That is waiting for the game to load reminds me of how I used to sit and wait for games to load from the old 5 1/2 inch floppy disks (we were lucky in my family and actually had one of the first disk drives instead of a tape drive!) :D

I am waiting for someone to work out how to port Impossible Mission, Bounty Bob and Monty Mole.

Of course when you talk fondly of 5 1/2 inch floppies these days people think you are being rude! I think I'll go and shuffle off with my zimmer frame. There must be some kids I can yet at to get of my lawn...

10. SLDROFHLA

SLDROFHLA Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    that joke was funny about bioshock

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Nintendo's Game & Watch Gallery collections cost more per game then this, and with this approach you can pick and choose what you want. Having said that, what makes Nintend's versions are the updated/enhanced versions. I actually really like these old games, and would pay $1.99 pet game, but only if they add such enhanced versions of the games.

12. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    What kind of enhancements???

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    First the graphics are greatly improved including smooth animation, but also they added to the games. For example in Fire they added multiple (Nintendo) characters, each of which bounces differently. Donkey Kong, for example, doesn't bounce very high, while another character bounces high, and another in between. It gets crazy when you've got to juggle different characters at the same time. Also they added stars and bombs. Bombs you want to let fall, while stars are worth more points. Fire is my favorite of the ones I've played. The game also has unlockables. This is G&W Gallery 1, which is an original Gameboy game. It has 3 other G&W games in it including Octopus. I definitely recommend it if you have a Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advance/Gameboy Player. It can be found for cheap on eBay.

14. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    you guys are hard to please :) - but keep your comments coming!

i've been working in the mobile development space for over 10 years now; and i've done a bunch of games ranging from simple g&w engines right through to emulation systems for atari 2600, gameboy etc.

at $1.99 - you have to realise that apple takes 30%; leaving $1.40 - then, there are taxation agreements (specifically japan) that take another 20%; leaving $1.12 - which then ends up being taxed in your local country at your personal income tax. in the end, a $1.99 game - ends up being around $0.40.

where is your money going? apple and governments (taxes)

i miss the days where i would send people games for just sending me a postcard :) its a pity apple controls all the digitial rights management on the App Store where it isn't even possible for a developer to give out copies.

// Aaron Ardiri
    http://www.mobile1up.com/

15. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    != clones

i just wanted to point out that these are not clones - these are in fact, simulators. they simulator the original LCD hardware games that were released back in the 1980's.

in fact, for every game being developed; i still have a working version of the original game which i use for reference purposes. a lot goes into goes into producing such a simulation, to reproduce what was once a gold mine for kids (thinks: demographics of most iphone users = 30+).

the next one up is GW Parachute, followed by GW Fire!

// Aaron Ardiri

16. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

Wow, I inspired a developer to come on here. I'd like to see how GW Fire looks like, is it gonna be another simulation, or are you gonna make some enhancements to the gameplay?

17. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    I've always been an active developer who gets close with his users :)

GW Fire! will be another simulation. I actually picked up the game on an ebay like site a few days ago so I can start the whole process. I should document it so you guys see what goes into creating one of these simulations :)

There is a niche for these games; specifically in Japan (93% of my sales from there). I also enjoyed them as a kid myself - but there are some titles I cannot do; due to character infringements (donkey kong, mario etc). I did a similar set for Palm OS years ago (www.ardiri.com) - and was contacted by Nintendo to remove some.

If you visit my other sites www.ardiri.com and www.mobilewizardry.com - you'll see what I've been working on during the years (its been a hobby); - if we get heavily involved with the iphone/ipod touch platform depends on two things, a) the interest level and b) if apple opens up some "hidden" API's :p (CoreSurface).

// Aaron Ardiri

18. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    @mobile1up
    I have to be honest and say I'm not interested in how much money you get to keep and what percentage goes to taxes.

19. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Semantics. It's not a clone because it's not the same hardware for instance, but it's a clone of the glameplay. There's nothing new being added. Instead of playing this on an old, big and clunky "device", it's now on a small, sleek and sexy device.
    The game is the same. Therefore it can be argued that it's a clone, a replica, a simulator, whatever. In my opinion, it doesn't offer anything new, other than a retrospective game we used to play when we were young. ;)

Sure, I can understand there being a niche, and I too used to enjoy these myself as a kid. I played them because this was cutting edge back then. There was nothing else. This was top of the line for the times...hard to imagine but it was. :)
    Just because I used to watch TV on a black and white screen doesn't mean I want to revisit black and white tv's. :)

20. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    @ Mr. Charley
    no-one is asking you to buy their applications.

you are welcome to write your own though and submit them to the app store yourself. i actually created these games for myself and because a few of my friends wanted them - i didn't do it for you. :)

in fact; i still enjoy the big clunky version of the games (the originals) - its just you cannot turn off the sound and why carry around multiple devices when i can put them all on one device?

but honestly; if you don't have anything nice or constructive to say - simply don't say anything at all - i know its a bit much to ask with today's Internet standards, but a community stays a community when people play nice together.

just my 2c.

// Aaron Ardiri