iPad Gunstar Heroes - by SEGA [Out Now]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #1 ImNoSuperMan, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Is this a port?

3. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Ooooh!
    One of my favorite Genesis games from days gone by.
    I'm very curious as to how this will control on the touch screen.

4. Wander

Wander Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Animator
    Los Angeles
    Insta-buy when it hits the US store :D

5. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Oh man I hope they've fixed their emulator engine for this. A solid port would be amazing.

Heck, why not just skip Sega altogether, and get Treasure to make a version of Bangai-O for iDevice. Something like the NDS version that generates random levels based on sound would be a perfect match for iDevices.

Anyways, I'll probably wait on this one until I hear how the controls and framerate holds up.

6. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    #6 Bad Hanson, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
    They could be making BIG bucks if they brought shiny re-booted versions of some of their games to ios. I've said this before but there are so many dev's would die to have the brand recognition SEGA have got. Sadly SEGA are squandering their opportunities big time - I have given up on their ios efforts long ago. If they took the Namco model of what was done with PAC Man (Championship) in terms of the re-skinning and updating they could really have a presence on the app store to be proud of. As stands they are running their name into the dirt. SEGA have a history of making poor choices where it comes to their market, the decision to come out of the hardware side of the business was supposed to be to help them produce and promote their greatness on other systems. Let's just say for the most part they have not lived up to that ideal and they have had plenty of time. If they took say...Daytona and made a really sweet ios version 60fps nice 3d models, gave it the works, and made it a full game (no DLC dilution), and made it for the newer devices capable of running it the way it should, then they would be making a good start. Games like Gunstar here in it's current form should be reserved for the older devices but are being pushed as being the vanguard. It's not good enough for them, or for my money.
    P.S. I agree Strivemind it would be great to see Bangai or anything else from Treasure. A new ios I.P. would be great. :)

7. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    I want a port of bonk

8. khaotikbk

khaotikbk Active Member

May 11, 2010
    Oh please, PLEASE, next SEGA/Treasure game to be ported to iOS should be Guardian Heroes, one of the best beat'em-up ever made! The game was released for S.Saturn in 1996. Excellent art, huge campaing, 5 campaing characters, tons of different enemies (playable through multiplayer arena, up to 6 players), tons of stages with different paths/different finishes, nice music. Really, a very very nice game.

9. khaotikbk

khaotikbk Active Member

May 11, 2010
    As a matter of fact, there is some excellent classics released for Sega Saturn that would kick serious ass if ported to whatever modern platform

10. NiKKoM

NiKKoM Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Graphic/Web/Motion Designer
    the Netherlands
    Love this game but it really needs pinpoint accurate controls.. I don't think Sega did that.. I wish Sega ported some Saturn games like panzer dragoon, sega rally or daytona usa..

11. tomheroes

tomheroes Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    There are so many Sega games that I would love to see ported. From their great arcade collection with games like Jambo! Safari and Baku Baku to Saturn classics like the Panzer Dragoon series (especially Panzer Dragoon Saga), Nights and Burning Rangers. Then there is the ton of great Dreamcast games, I hope Chu Chu Rocket isn't the only Dreamcast game to be ported. I really want to see a multi player Oooga Boogo and especially Phantasy Star Online. Heck, a strange game like Seaman would probably do well.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member

In an interview in Slide to Play, the developer of the ChuChu Rocket iPhone port went through a list of games he would like to tackle next, including Seaman, Jet Set Radio, and Shenmue. Perhaps a wish list, but it seems like we're not the only ones interested in mining the Dreamcast Catalog.

13. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Sega, please please port over DRAGON FORCE!!

14. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    f***. Stop ruining classics sega. Gunstar heroes is hard enough on a normal system, this port will not work well >.>

15. Bucko

Bucko Member

Nov 21, 2010
    difficulty

I remember playing this when i was a kid. it is going to be very challenging to play it on a touch screen. they can not just port it they should remake it for the touch screen.

16. asr10 user

asr10 user Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Wow. Probably one of my fave games of all time. Not too long ago I fired it up on my Nomad and actually sat for a few hours and beat the game.

Ill be buying this, just am worried about controls.

17. krisko6

krisko6 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    College Student, Intern at an engineering company.
    Bakersfield, CA
    There is no way that this game will even be playable on the touchscreen. I have it on my Wii, and let me tell you, you absolutely need physical buttons to play this game and finish it. I bought their emulation of Ecco and I was throw-my-phone-against-the-wall frustrated by it, and this could only be worse. SEGA is bonkers if they think people will want to play this on a touchscreen.

18. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    #18 Bad Hanson, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
    Exactly it's like they have taken a real 'by the numbers' approach in porting out their games to iOS. I might even use the word whoring- and we are their bitch.

19. agemon

agemon Member

Jan 23, 2010
    france
    One of the best game of treasure for the genesis/megadrive/gba.

20. CyberData4

CyberData4 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I mean, do we REALLY expect Sega to put the fiscal effort into making top notch iOS games when players typically flat out refuse to pay more then 4.99 for a game??

We get upset that companies don't put more of an effort into iOS game development...but from their perspective there's just not much reason to make a game of such high caliber when people won't even pay for it.

I personally would LOVE to see a brand new Panzer Dragoon game on the iOS platform. I think the touchscreen would be perfect for it.

But for something other than a bare boned port....I expect to pay more than 5 bucks for it.