Universal Guns of Boom (By Game Insight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 17, 2017.

1. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Looks like it's zoom in/out. Nice.

2. Velx

Velx Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    Male
    Indiana
    This is the first shooter I've played with the automatic fire. It's nice in that it keeps the movement smooth, your able to strife and maneuver without any clunky controls. The maps are done really well. They allow for good strategy, always able to flank, and there's enough variety to keep them interesting. The freemium mechanics are there, and do occasionally make for some very unbalanced matches, but for the most part they're fair. I've bought the first few beginner packs which seem like good deals, after that I can't imagine spending. My one big complaint is that the grenades and health packs have to be bought. I don't mind spending, but this is a set up for a money trap. Overall a pretty good shooter.

3. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    #43 funem, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    I usually hate these type of games and the FTP mechanics but I can honestly say I enjoy this game. I played it non stop for over two hours from the point of installing it. The game is pretty generous with currency as long as you keep playing and completing quests. The only down side is the speed at which you earn health capsules and grenades. One of the best bits is the way it helps balance you against opponents that pay to win.if you kill one of them then you can pickup their weapon and use it until you die again then you go back to your own load out.they don't actually lose their weapon for that time you just gain the short term ability to us it.

My current stats are 47 battles 21 wins (your win loss is as good as your team really) and a 16 kill record. Don't know how good or bad that is. I highly recommend it right now with ftp mechanics I will be interested to see how my opinion is after more people start playing and paying.

I tried to join one of the two touch arcade clans but one is full and the other has reached its request limit. :(

4. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    I'll reject some requests that hopefully aren't TAers. Try again in 2 mins or later from this post.

5. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    You just nailed it... I have paid some money for better guns and armor (and some cosmetic enhancements) and you're right, when I die I inevitably wind up battling someone using my gun. At first it made me mad, but I fully understand why this mechanic is in play and it is the one thing that balances the game.

Something the devs could really focus on improving is their servers. At night I get some lag when a ton of people are trying to play. And sometimes the match wait time is...ugh. Hopefully these will be improved as they see profits rolling in.

I really hope Game Insight continues to support Guns of Boom and adds to the game regularly. If so, they have me hooked for the foreseeable future.

6. TopherW

TopherW Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    I have requested to join. Umfhockey

7. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    Welcome aboard.

8. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Requested to join TARC still to many I think

9. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    Nope; you're good. Welcome.

10. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    ....and thanks again.

11. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    After quite a few hours played and a few weapons grinded out, I can see a few changes that need to be made.

First, incendiary rounds are a little too powerful. They do quite a bit of damage for a long period of time. Either the time of effect or the damage need to be decreased. Unless you have pills (which sometimes you are short of) you will die with a third of your health still left. It just feels pretty cheap that you win a gun fight by a good margin and end up dying anyways.

Second, there are quite a few glitches that I have encountered with respawning and matchmaking. When I died in one game I would respawn IMMEDIATELY when I died. This happened half of the game and then I spawned with no guns and no ability to switch to any of them. It was strange. Matchmaking will sometimes crash on me while loading up and just stay on a frozen screen. I have an iPhone 7 Plus so I don't think it's due to my device.

Third, I don't like the current grenade/pill system in place. It's bearable but it just feels stupid that this is so different from other first person shooters. I also think grenades need to be nerfed a bit. They are by far the most effective way to kill someone in this game. They explode on impact and can kill someone without armor in one hit. I found myself primarily using grenades until they were gone and then switching to using my weapons. Weapons shouldn't take a backseat to grenades.

All in all, this is a fantastic game. I've had a ton of fun with it and it's refreshing how mobile-friendly the controls are. I love it.

12. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    Agreed all round (although no glitching for lucky me), the grenade part especially. Maybe if they didn't explode on impact it would encourage their "proper" use.

13. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    There're some amazing fps games on mobile and most people seem to ignore them? But the moment an auto shooting game comes out people love it? Hmm.

14. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    It's hardly the first auto shooter.

I think a lot of the appeal of this one is that it's pretty stripped down, easy to get into.

15. MintCity

Jun 24, 2016
    #55 MintCity, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    I've played Bullet-Force and Critical Ops as a partnered streamer for A LONG time. They are great games with different styles of play. I think the same can be said about Guns of Boom. People like it for it's casual, cartoony, wacky style of play. It's not that people don't realize there are other great first person shooters on mobile, it's just that they might like the unique style of play this game has to offer. I play all of them regularly and enjoy them each for what they have to offer.

16. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I agree about the incendiary rounds in the stinger I think it is but the grenades are only a sure kill if you have no armour. I can take a hit fine, apart from that you can see them being thrown in most cases and run backwards to avoid the blast.

17. MintCity

Jun 24, 2016
    If you read my post that you quoted me on I said that it kills someone without armor in 1 hit. I'm well aware that it cannot kill people with armor in 1 hit. However, it does 1000 damage. That's a good chunk of health, even to someone with armor. I rarely miss my grenade throws. Movement is a bit slow in this game and doesn't allow effective avoidance of direct impact grenades. I think the easiest fix (mentioned by someone else in the thread) is to make it so grenades don't explode upon impact with enemies.

18. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    For me usually would say shooting games ain't design for iOS, but the controls are simple which good thing

19. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    It's just a fun quirky accessible shooter that doesn't take itself seriously. The auto shooting fits the platform perfectly. Mobile really isn't the ideal place to be playing FPS, this game strips everything down and makes a simple shooter everyone can play. IAP's aren't extremely aggressive either.

20. Ivica

Ivica Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Can i join TARC, there are 7/10 atm but cant send a request