Universal Gunbrick (by Nitrome)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sink_or_swim, Jan 7, 2015.

1. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Man, this is a clever lil game! Highly recommend it to anybody that's on the fence. I really hope it does well because I think I'm going finish this game quick and I'm gonna want more when it's over. Lol.

2. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet

Does anybody notice when you crush the people and you step over them it's like a glob that sticks to the brick real quick? Nice little detail :3

3. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #43 coolpepper43, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    Ya, the attention to detail is insane with this game! Did they have to make destructible environments? Extended graphics like if you fly really high they added some cool things to see? No, but they did and I love them for it!:D

4. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Is there a way to tell which levels you've beaten without dying?

5. Nitrome

Nitrome Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    Glad to hear your all enjoying our game. We're thrilled by the reaction it has been getting so far!

Also just letting you sll know that we do read the comments you post on the Touch Arcade forums :)

6. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    This year is off to a great start. Gunbrick is so far in the running for my GOTY. Nitrome, you are a genius!

7. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Oh no, big bug on level 5. It won't let me complete it. When I land in the end box it gets a little glitchy and it never triggers that I completed the level. :(
    I've replayed it 5 times now and it still won't work.

8. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I had a slight problem to buy the game on AppStore yesterday because it kept saying "it's being modified", but it was just because of the increasing prices for all apps in European Union happening for ongoing 36 hours. It's ok now, I was able to buy it with new price 2,99€ today. The game's amazing, controls works flawlessly, pixel art is top-notch, music fits perfectly, it's a masterpiece. Also congrats to PG's 9/10 review and gold award, well deserved. If you still hesitate, just don't. Highly recommended.

9. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    This week was a brilliant start into "the next dimension of ios gaming", at least in my book. This was the first out of seven games (5 paid lovely!) i bought.

While i mislead myself by watching the trailer, i enjoyed this gem very much. Actually i thought this is more of an action shooting platformer than a "put the block in the hole" (can't name that genre). But for a brainy puzzler, which i never can stick to for too long, i played it through in almost one go. The many checkpoints helped immense, thanks for that Nitrome.

To make it short - everything is top-notch!

Now i'm stuck with the last boss and although i had him down to the last missing hit for a couple of times, i can't beat him, yet. I definitely give it a few more trys later, but for now it's time to move on to the next GOTW.

Personally i don't see any replay ability but nevertheless highly recommended.

10. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just finished the first world, it's been a long time since I enjoyed a first world so much and a world end boss. This is pure gaming at it's best, NITROME has a new fan.

11. deadjam

deadjam Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Digital Designer
    London, UK
    The gameplay trailer looks great - lots of character and charm!

Not sure if it's my style of game as I don't tend to go for puzzlers.

12. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    I'm not a giant fan of puzzlers, but this has been one of the best iPhone games I have played for a looong time.

It doesn't feel like a puzzle game, it feels like an action game with puzzles and light platforming.

13. Corky McButterpants

Corky McButterpants Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    That's good to hear Matthew.
    Could I ask why it doesn't support scaling for iPhone6/+ platforms? Does the pixel art style mean assets need re-creating? and if so, is it something that is in the works?

I want to play this so much, but don't want the attention (and hard work) you've obviously put into the fantastic detail to be ruined by shonky scaling...

14. Nitrome

Nitrome Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    The art is scaled on iPhone 6 and 6+ but the same is true for all devices as it is a lower resolution being shown than any modern mobile device runs at. Pixel art is time consuming to produce and you simply can't take a game that takes many months to produce and redraw everything for every device that Apple dreams up. The game looks great on all the devices including the 6s....there really in no issue as far as we're concerned.

15. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Is there a chance of releasing the soundtrack?

16. Corky McButterpants

May 16, 2012
    Well forgive my ignorance/confusion, but if there's no issue with scaling on any device, what's the whole shtick about describing it as… Optimised for iPhone5 about?

17. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #57 Intendro, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    Everything is supposed to be "optimized for iPhone 5" now. Unoptimized apps have untouchable black bars because iPhone 5 has a wider screen ("wider" in horizontal orientation)...

18. Corky McButterpants

May 16, 2012
    Ah! Thanks, so that's more a catch-all term to signify that an app will fit the 16:9 ratio of the 5's and beyond?

With that understood, I was actually trying to get to whether the pixel-art scales properly for the new awkward resolutions; since the iPhone6/+ upset the apple cart (sry:rolleyes:) when it comes to upsizing internal assets.

19. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    I don't typically buy a lot of games that are either original or not based on a property that I already know. That's just me and the type of games I prefer. Not to mention that a lot of games get hyped up here that are either lame or one gimmick games that don't really go anywhere. This game looked so dumb and charming in the trailer that I had to buy it.

This is a super clever game that I can't recommend enough. Super ridiculous premise that knows it isn't serious and basically builds on that with interesting and unique puzzles so far. That's a refreshing change and a great purchase.

20. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    This is a great game thx nitrome <3