iPad GunBird 2 (Psikyo/Capcom) FREE!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Blodia, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I just hope we didn't sign up for the korean military service.

Nice Cave-y shooter and it seems to have different branches to start out, at least two. No gamecenter and the screen is not fully optimized for iphone 5, but in this case i don't care, it's a free game.
    But i wonder if we have member here who could translate the screen when you pause the game ?

2. toby7ten

toby7ten Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    KaKao Talk is excellent, easily as good as WhatsApp and free. It's non intrusive and actually good if you have Asian friends.

Another bonus is you can get DJ Max Technika Q via Kakao and that is easily the best rhythm game in the iOS universe!!

Gunbird 2 pretty sick too haha

3. Blodia

Blodia Active Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Turns out there IS a "play as guest" feature with these Kakao apps that lets you play without Kakao. Just tap the button without the word balloon or look for English text that says "play as guest".

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Hopefully that comes with no limitations. I remember trying that on another game and it just repeated the tutorial.

Anyhow, downloading KaoKao is pretty easy to set up (there's an English version). However this app is in Korean so I can't help you with those check boxes - but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

5. funny_man_vanya

Sep 24, 2013
    Ummmmmm, Korea?

6. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Wait a sec.
    Is this mobile light force?

7. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Haven't played the original, but compared to other bullet-hell games, it seems that the Kakao/Freemium restrictions on this one is that you only get one life, no continues, no auto-bombing, etc.

I'm assuming that if you're good enough to 1CC it, then you're basically getting the full game for free. That's a guess though, as I've only gotten past the first couple of levels so far.

8. I got a draft notice saying I have to go fight in North Korea.

Got it working, it's not bad though, got no idea what the menus say, and it better not charge me for some inapps.

9. GGLV

GGLV Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Is it just me or does the app icon look like a ripped of version of Saber from
    Fate stay night?

10. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Im making you a care package.

11. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Sorta! Mobile Light Force was a port of the first Gunbird, and this is the sequel. If you liked MLF, you have to get this app. Gunbird 2 is even better than the first, and hands down the best non-Treasure vertical shmup I've played.

12. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I agree, they do have strong similarities. But

Gunbird - 1994
    Gunbird 2 - 1998
    Fate/Stay Night - 2004

13. CecilMcW00t

CecilMcW00t Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Played around with this for a little bit. This was my most played game on Dreamcast! The graphics are amazing and the framerate is perfect!

So if you play in guest mode (the top option), you are given one life to see how far you can get with Marion. I managed to get to the 4th stage before I was taken out. When you die you taken right back to the title screen.

So I installed KakaoTalk and made an account so I could mess around with the entire game. And whoo boy is there a lot a crazy stuff. I attached a screenshot of the main menu right before you start your game.

You are still limited to one life but there seems to be a "relay" feature upon death where any other characters you've unlocked can be sent out to continue. Not sure if they can be sent out for free though because I don't have enough gems to unlock the others. The cheapest char is like 50 gems... And another character is tied to an event I think but I have no idea what the requirement is.

There are lots of boosts to buy, will have to experiment with them later to see what they do. You can also level up your character by paying gold. Not sure what each stat means though. Wish this had an English option. Oh and there is an energy system of course lol... You get 5 wings. They are refilled if you beat your high score and I think you can request more from friends.

The difficulty feels like it is set to level 4 or 5 from the Dreamcast version according to the bullet density. So they weren't too sadistic in that regard.

Attached Files:

14. wingsofdestiny89

wingsofdestiny89 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2012
    SG
    I agree with you. It's tough but still retains the fun.

15. Kind of sucks we can't play this offline, jist crashes.

16. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    This game is so bad cant justify how it works, you start the game with only one plane, each additional plain IAP is required, can't possibly finish this type of game with one life unless you have infinite credits or have played the console version then you would know the bullets.

17. SuperDanX

SuperDanX Member

Apr 20, 2013
    London
    What a great port! Such a shame it's so restrictive.

18. CecilMcW00t

CecilMcW00t Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Yeah... The port is indeed wonderful but I wish it wasn't F2P.

19. But isn't that how it was designed, so you would buy more inapps?

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Oh how I wish this was in English and premium. Never played the original but this seems like a fantastic port.

Damn freemium models. It's one thing when you've got crap like Candy Crush being freemium, but this week we've had two what I would say are hard core gamer type games, this, and that Tales game. And it's the type of gamer who wants games like these that would shell out premium prices. That same population isn't going to put up with bastardizing games like this.

...sigh...