Universal Gun Rounds (by Tobin Huitt)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brightsiderus, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Mikeyz

Mikeyz Active Member

Aug 2, 2018
    Male
    Just get this game. Will post my impressions later when l come back home.

2. nlesgold

nlesgold Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 22, 2011
    RN
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Just got the boomerang for the first time - might be my new favorite weapon. I love that you get ammo back for catching it.

Like others I was a bit taken aback when I beat easy mode on the first try - I didn't check to see what the two-gun icon was when I started my game; it absolutely looks like it leads to some kind of multiplayer mode. Anyway, much like Downwell I really enjoy the gameplay while being extremely bad at it. Great game.

blabberf and sebgo like this.
  3. blabberf

blabberf Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Hey ya'll, in my free time lately I've been thinking of update content for Gun Rounds. I'm about to submit an update that has a few minor tweaks (most notably, Easy Mode will be a little harder), but at some point I'll be releasing a bigger update that has a bunch of new content!

Now, I'm wanting to add a new game mode. I have some ideas, and I'd like to ask what everyone thinks sounds more appealing:
    1) Lightning Mode: only 1 battle per world! You'd start with 4 weapons, and earn more money per kill so you could still buy items in the shop.
    2) Endless Mode: when you beat the boss, you are sent back to the first world. Enemies get gradually stronger each time you beat the boss (they deal more damage, and maybe their projectiles get slightly faster).
    3) Random Mode: every single enemy is given a random sprite, movement pattern, and 2 random attacks. The boss would probably be the same, but with new attacks unique to random mode.
    4) Endless Random: basically combines random and endless. It's endless, but also random!

Anyway, please let me know if any of these appeal to you, or if you have any ideas yourself!

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    While playing hard mode I was thinking that the REAL hard mode would be using only the basic pistol. Doesn’t even have to be the fancy hard mode difficulty, just normal mode with only the one basic weapon.

Or heck, give us a random weapon at the start and lock us into using only that one. I’m less fond of this idea, but it could be neat!

Other than that, hit us with your best shot. :D

5. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I don’t understand why you are trying to disconnect enemy models and their characteristics.

Say an enemy with a bat model, that can use attack pattern of all the enemies, that moves like a crab doesn’t need to have a bat model anymore. Just draw a circle with a letter E in it and it would serve the same purpose.

I think you nailed the balance on normal but I feel like you are breaking it yourself, starting with the hard mode, and even further with your new game mode ideas.

If you want to expand the replayability, I think it’s better to ADD something instead of mixing up existing assets. Say a player character with lower health but more ammo or something.

Lull4by likes this.
  6. blabberf

Apr 21, 2020
    That would definitely be pretty dang hard:D The only thing about having one weapon is that depending on the weapon, it might get kind of agonizing since it would significantly increase how long each fight lasted (imagine having to defeat an enemy with 10 HP with only the pistol, that's 5 turns just for that one guy!). Limited weapon runs are an interesting idea though, I might be able to work that in with some other twist!

I know you aren't personally a fan of how hard mode works, but I have gotten quite a bit of positive feedback about it, enough that I think most players do enjoy it:) I personally have a lot of fun with it, since for me I know all the enemy patterns so intimately that normal mode is not much of a challenge!

Anyway, I will be adding new enemies and stuff like that to the update, but for now I was looking for feedback on a 4th game mode. I don't find the idea of lowering the player health but giving them more ammo enough to really constitute a whole new game mode, but stat changes could definitely be a part of it. We'll see!

7. ilsilvano

ilsilvano Member

Nov 26, 2015
    I would really love a "daily challenge" (or "weekly challenge") mode, where the exact same "seed" is used by all players that will meet the same enemies and the same weapons. Together with an online scoring table this will make for an endless game!

Also: I think the final boss battle should be removed by the "Easy" mode, otherwise players who just want to get good at the game will be spoiled by the fun of reaching and beating the boss.
    You can add a different "miniboss" for the easy mode, and have a message in the end that says that now you are ready for the REAL challenge...

sebgo likes this.
  8. ilsilvano

ilsilvano Member

Nov 26, 2015
    I am also totally against the random attack modes, it makes no sense for me and I have no fun playing the HARD game for this reason.
    Maybe just having less energy and only two weapons slot will make it more interesting.
    Or (sorry, shooting random ideas here) having some "clouds" that randomly pass over the screen, or a flickering light that makes more difficult to time the blocks.

9. Pluglord

Pluglord New Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Male
    just bought this 3 hours ago and I’ve played more than I played castlevania still stuck at coast easy mode tho

sebgo likes this.
  10. blabberf

Apr 21, 2020
    Thanks for picking the game up!:) I'm actually just about to release an update in a few days that'll make easy mode a little easier (among a few other tweaks), so you're just in time!

sebgo likes this.
  11. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    I really try to like your game, but even on easy mode its much too hard for me. I play a lot of rogue like games and don‘t tend to get frustrated with endless deaths. But your game frustrates me to death. I really hope you work for the sequel the defense part out. Cause putting all on reflexes destroys for me the game. And learning all attack patterns is just not much tactics.
    Don't get me wrong, i reached the end boss many times, but i feel your game has so much more potential and your wasting it all on a too high difficulty. You should put in more ideas for the defense part.
    I can absolutely understand the ratings on the app store for this game. And the easy option wont change a thing, cause its still too hard and depends too much on luck with weapon and shop items.

12. blabberf

Apr 21, 2020
    Hey, thanks for giving the game a try and taking the time to post your thoughts in the thread! I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it, but unfortunately we'll have to disagree on the design. I like it just fine as is! I don't have any plans for a sequel, and that'll probably not happen since there isn't really anywhere to go to expand on this concept tbh. But I am currently working on another game, hopefully you'll enjoy that one more!

13. Donkeygrave

Donkeygrave Active Member

Feb 28, 2013
    After many attempts I was able to beat the game on normal without taking a hit. I technically took two but the Bubble saved me so I guess there’s room for improvement. Sorry if this isn’t the place for this but I had to share it somewhere. Love this game.

Attached Files:

blabberf and Anotherkellydown like this.
  14. blabberf

Apr 21, 2020
    tundra_opt.gif

Hey ya'll it's been a while! Just wanted to pop in and mention that I've been working on a content update lately, and made a short GIF to show off a new world, new weapon(s), and a new type of shop! The new update will basically double the content, having 4 new worlds, a new boss, and a bunch of new items and weapons. I'll also be releasing an update probably later next week that just has a bunch of bug fixes, optimization, and tweaks to various things (ex I changed critical hits to be much more useful with skills that fire a bunch of shots at once).

15. Donkeygrave

Feb 28, 2013
    This is awesome! When will the update drop?

16. blabberf

Apr 21, 2020
    Hopefully within the next few months!

17. Donkeygrave

Feb 28, 2013
    Is the update still in the works?

Alex DeLargest and sebgo like this.