Universal Guitar Hero® Live (by Activision Publishing, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by hellscaretaker, Oct 20, 2015.

1. henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    usa
    thats absurd.......... so they kind released something that cannot be bought
    what about that connect guitar to the game and unlocks the full game thing ? is it still not works now or what........
    don't wanna rush out and have it bought when i can't even play it

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm pretty sure it's not Activision's fault. I think it all ties in to Apple's problem with Game Center. I've been able to buy the game and play it, but when that ****ing bug decides to show its ugly face: No more Guitar Hero Live.

3. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC
    I too was able to purchase the full unlock. I did this on my 6+ by turning off wi-fi and restarting the game. It then had no problems logging in to Game Center. Once I made the purchase, I could go through the list of songs in the "Live" section, and like Metalcasket I found it to be an all around bad lineup (for my taste anyway). I could then turn wi-fi back on and at least play a couple songs. If I had to switch apps or temporarily leave the app for any reason, once I came back, I would be signed out of Game Center again and couldn't continue. I would have to close the app and start the process over again....frustrating. Having said all of this, I'm sure a fix is well on its way to address the problem.

4. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I've tried countless times on my iPad Air 2 with wifi, iPhone 6 with and without wifi, all to no avail. I'm really just about giving up on it. If it's anything like the console version, you have to earn play credits to play the 200 Live songs. I'm not spending $50 on a game, then having in-game currency to have to earn also.

5. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    #85 Dailon80, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    i had to delete my response it was too harsh and I'm a good guy it didn't set will with me to say the things to you that I did.
    So now I'm gonna be nice about it
    If You had taken the time to read my later comments you would see that that was an early impression And that I later commented on this very thread that the price is fair because at the time I didn't realize it had as many songs as it does and when you factor that it it's worth it. Actually it's a great deal! Go buy those songs on iTunes and see what it would cost. I only play premium games and spend lots of money on games. Also I thought at the time it was a scaled down version of the console.
    Wish you would've seen my later comments before you attacked me. I have been on this site for a while and no one has ever talked to me that way. I have kids and one is in the hospital I have more worries than what you say to me about a game.

6. zazzer

zazzer Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Global Community Manager, Arena of Valor
    Palo Alto, CA
    After a lot of frustration with this over the weekend, I've gotten it to work. To summarize:
    1) works just fine on work Wi-Fi network
    2) never signs into Game Center on home Wi-Fi network (same room as the router)
    3) works just fine when tethering to my AT&T cell phone network

So naturally I don't want to burn through my cell data, but it's strange this game doesn't want to connect to my home Wi-Fi but will connect to a hotspot with no issues.

7. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    still on the fence of buying the full game. The price...

8. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Updated!!

I tried it out and GC issue seems to be fixed. Tomorrow I'm going to hit the buy button. I'm surprised in a good way that the problem has been resolved quickly.

9. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    So for anyone who bought it. Does it work great now? I really want to buy this. #

10. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    Bought it and it plays great on my 5s! Really happy I bought it even though the price is steep.

Ps: I don't have any Game Center problems. The game also was updated earlier today so that probably fixed it then.

11. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    #91 DonnyDJ76, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    I revised my written review on the App Store from one star to five stars. I love rhythm games and it's better paying $50 than $100. I have no desire to run out and get a guitar either.

12. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    I feel ya. I'm fine with touch either. Although i'm considering to buy it for my PS4 too, but only if i'm gonna play this game long enough and holds my interest. Also the negative feedback of the guitar isn't promising. I will see. :)

13. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Observation : latest update fixed the over sensitivity of the multi tapping in songs. Just went 100% on fallout boy trial, before the update I couldn't go five notes without missing on a double tap.

-thumbs up-

14. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    took the plunge, observations :

. The ipad version is the more acurate to the console choice. Landscape view, check. All buttons everywhere in the same place as console, check. Note board fades in and out during beginning and during guitar free portions of the songs so you can enjoy videos/stage going's on's. The ipad version is not playable in hand without some extreme finger reaching, best played sitting on a flat surface infront of you.
    . The iphone version is more convient in some ways, more annoying in one particular way. Portrait mode only. The note board is always present and takes bottom 2/3rds of screen. The videos and stage going's on's are always present top 1/3rd of screen only. The only draw back? The power button is almost at the top 1/3rd of the screen so while your big ol thumbs will be note bashing at the bottom of the screen you'll be stopping and reaching almost to the top of your screen if you want to hit power.

I didn't pick up the guitar, and ta's review was all about it so here's the observations regarding touch. As of latest update touch/tap game play is spot on. Its fun, fast, the slides are in everything works great! Touch players get a fourth note line since there was no way to represent the no-key-strum-only note that is present in all guitar versions of the game.

As mentioned in the ta review, the tv feature is watered down. You earn score... that serves no purpose really and there is no experience, no currencies, no other special abilities aside from the bomb, no additional boards to unlock, no notes, nothing. just play whats on the station you choose and move on to the next song when it starts. This watered down version presents one major flaw to be honest. The console version the currencies you earn from leveling and performing well can be used to buy plays in the online library of songs. You don't have to touch the iap button if you don't want to. Mobile versions since there is no currency or plays to purchase you have to iap to play the songs you want. And with 3/4 of this games library locked behind tv, this is a serious serious double dip on activion's part. Premium and forced freemium if you want to play all the same music on demand that console gamers don't have to deal with. :/

Activision needs to bring the full feature version of tv to our devices.

All that said, really fun finally enjoying rythym games on my mobile. -wonders if tap tap will make a return to follow this wave-

15. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Wow, so you can't even earn the plays/credits to play the tv section... smh. I'm glad I haven't bought it yet. I started getting back on the fence.. now, jumped back off.

16. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    yup, ive put in a refund on itunes. without the exp/currency/leaderboard system, this game is a watered down one time play iap paywall experience in its current state. will keep an eye open though for a full tv featured update, if that ever arrives, this game will be worth every penny.

17. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I appreciate you taking "one for the team" lol.

18. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Wasn't there supposed to be a content update yesterday? TA posted an article...

19. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    doubt it'll come as an update, it sounds more like a server side thing where the iap wall in tv is removed for this weekend only and several new songs start showing up

20. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    So... Even tough I got my refund for some reason the game is still fully play able for me including TV so I decided to take it for a spin using my phone as a hotspot, to test the bandwidth usage.

Don't do that.

30 minutes of play on TV burned a little over 500 mb of bandwidth.

Definitely do not play TV over your cellular.