Universal Guild of Dungeoneering (by Gambrinous)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Air2 box in upper left displays error 1009, but doesn't appear to be impacting play.

Really enjoying this so far, despite the minor issues

2. gambrinous

gambrinous Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    Remember, the barbarian is special. He SEEKS OUT higher level enemies, unlike most dungeoneers who go for same-level ones. However he gets a health bonus when fighting higher levels so he's actually at an advantage. Use that + his deathwish card and he can smash everything

3. gambrinous

Jul 7, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    Able to give me a screenshot of it not filling the screen? Thanks.

Loot selection: both those things are fixed in the patch we're getting ready to submit, now

4. Thanks! I guess I should read up a bit more on each before I run into a dungeon with them. ;)

Looking forward to the little tweaks you have planned. Hoping that stuff will be easier to read/access.

(And still hoping hoping hoping for iCloud sync!)

5. gambrinous

Jul 7, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    If you are looking at the upgrade for a class you can click the class card and see a full breakdown. Tap the trait below their cards to get info on it (barbarian's special rules are listed there, briefly)

iCloud sync would be great, but we haven't started working on that yet

6. dwincelowicz

dwincelowicz Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Security
    Sarasota, FL
    Reminds me quite a bit of Darkest dungeon, minus the party-system and morale and more RNG with the actual quests.

I'm lovin' the Bard that narrates, too, which gives it a great vibe.

My only question is.. replay value? Can we replay the older missions for money?

7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm actually finding it very easy to guide my people the way I want them to go after the devs tips on how they path.

8. Bootsy

Bootsy Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2015
    For my iPad Air 2, I needed to have 1.5 GB free before it would work.

9. Bootsy

Bootsy Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2015
    The game just crashed for me. I got Error Message 1009.

iPad Air 2 with 1.6 GB free.

10. nuutsch

nuutsch Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Great game, but its not optimized for iPhone 6+, isnt it?
    The game looks not sharp, not retina.
    If i turn on the Larger Screen Gui in options, everything is toooooooo small.

11. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    You cant replay missions.

12. gambrinous

Jul 7, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    Actually when you beat a whole region of the game (base game has 3: grasslands, jungle, mines) you get the option to replay random boss fights from that region.

And for real replayability we're building a high score / challenge mode called Trophy Trial. Shelved it for a while to finish mobile but will be going back to it soon. Some details on that here:
    http://blog.gambrinous.com/2015/12/22/coming-soon-the-new-trophy-trial-game-mode/

13. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    - Does the game have some sort of a story?
    - Does it have an ending to work towards?

Thanks!

14. lanedaughtry

lanedaughtry Member
    Patreon Indie

Aug 3, 2013
    Professional Developer
    Seattle, WA
    Some Feedback

First of all, loving the game :)

It's tuned pretty close to my ideal handheld roguelike feedback loop. From a game session point of view I mean. I hope it does really well for you guys. I'll likely pick up on Steam as well to support it.

Now, some feedback. I'm playing on an iPhone 6 Plus currently and the UI is barely big enough to be playable. If my eyes were bad I don't think it would be. Also, many of the interactions to get at detailed information, such as holding down on an amulet, doesn't really work properly on a touch screen. I need to hold down, and the info goes away when I release. It makes for some cumbersome UX. I assume that's a hold over from mouseover interaction in the desktop version. I expect on a touch device that I should be able to tap to get at deeper information, then tap again to hide that information.

Those are very fixable things though. Can't wait for some small functionality updates. And I really can't wait for new content :)

15. lanedaughtry

lanedaughtry Member
    Patreon Indie

Aug 3, 2013
    Professional Developer
    Seattle, WA
    One more thing. When I turn on 3X animation time, that affects all animations in the game. In combat and out. What I really want is 3X combat animations, and normal animation interactions to be at normal speed. Mainly because any of the messages popping up are going away way too quickly.

16. gambrinous

Jul 7, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    There is a bit of story, but it's not a huge amount. And yes you can win it / there is an ending. That said, we did win an award for the writing (Best Writing in an Irish game) so there ya go

Thanks! Glad it's tickling that itch :)

The UI on iphone being a bit unreadable in a lot of places is something we need to work on, I agree. We will look at that again next week. We're submitting a new patch to apple, probably in the next few hours, that has a bunch of fixes to other UI things like you mention having to hold down your finger on things that should be tap and tap again instead. Hopefully it improves the experience for you!

17. lanedaughtry

lanedaughtry Member
    Patreon Indie

Aug 3, 2013
    Professional Developer
    Seattle, WA
    Just out of curiosity, are you guys developing in Unity? If so, what version did you ship on if you don't mind my asking.

18. gambrinous

Jul 7, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    You aren't the first person to ask for that. Will think about it

19. gambrinous

Jul 7, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    It is built with Flash, and delivered via Adobe AIR. :D

More specifically it's AS3 code only, compiled with Flex into a flash movie, then wrapped via Adobe AIR into an executable for desktop / app for mobile.

Oh and we use the Flixel game framework too (as3 libraries)

20. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Man, I suck eggs on this game. Need to stay calm and keep dungeoneering!