Universal Guild of Dungeoneering (by Gambrinous)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 20, 2016.

1. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    #21 orangecan, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    Yep that was the one!

Thanks very much I kept thinking of the name Galaxy Quest but I knew it wasn't that because of the film.

Ok this sounds a lot more up my street, very tempted....

EDIT:
    Read this:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/14340-Guild-of-Dungeoneering-Review-Gambrinous#&gid=gallery_4437&pid=1
    And bought it - never thought of reading the steam reviews. Sounds mint.

2. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Nope.. Purchased, and excited to give it some play time..

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Still learning the ins and outs, but this is nigh impossible to put down. :)

4. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Orange let me know what you think because I too bought that other game you mentioned and didn't like it to much, so let me know what you think about this one !

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    If it makes a difference, I couldn't get into Galactic Keep either and as you can see I'm very much into this.

6. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    Will do but won't get a chance to play till tomorrow tho.

7. gambrinous

gambrinous Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hey folks, we're out! woop woop

By the way the soundtrack is here if you are into that kind of thing (streamable there for free too):
    https://gambrinous.bandcamp.com/album/guild-of-dungeoneering-original-soundtrack

We have a patch with a bunch of fixes we're going to submit to Apple tomorrow. I'll put together the patch notes here now in case any of you bump into something odd or buggy. Also very happy to listen to anyone's feedback!

Yeah it's a weird one, pricing. We decided to embrace it (well spotted on Rocketcat: wayward souls was the direct pricing inspiration). It's $3.99 right now for the base game (what we launched with on PC last year). We're going to add our first expansion Pirate's Cove as an update to the game (not an IAP), and bump up the price probably to $4.99 once it's in. If you buy now you get it free of course.

I like this model actually. Reward people for buying at the start, rather than going into deeper and deeper discounts or bundles on PC and in an odd way punish those early buyers for paying full price.

Sure we'll see. Hopefully it works out!

We have a lower resolution option that might make it work on the iPad mini. Will see if we can set it up to switch to that. Thanks for letting us know.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Crossing my fingers it does. You have practically done EVERYTHING to ensure the hardcore TA gaming crowd gets behind this right from the get-go. Hopefully it pays off both here and "out there" on the charts and whatnot.

Put your money where your mouth is, folks. Premium experience, no IAP, a universal (that was once supposed to be iPad only, iirc) release, no IAP, launch sale + free updates. What's not to love here?

9. gambrinous

Jul 7, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    I like to say it's an RPG where the thing you level up is your guild, not one (disposable) hero. Every quest you start your hero from scratch, and build them up by finding different loot (it's kinda like deckbuilding here). They can gain battle scars if they win quests, which persist, but otherwise it's kinda like a roguelike where you start each dungeon run fresh.

Thanks! There's well over an hour of original soundtrack in there :)

Yeah we really didn't do a good job of teaching how the dungeoneers move in-game. Something to improve! The quick version is they are drawn to treasure, monsters the same level as them, and unexplored areas with clouds over them. That should let you figure it out from there, mostly. On levelling: you start at level 1 and every time you beat a monster of your level or higher you go up a level and gain +1 heart.

It's built in flash via Adobe AIR. The problem is the mini has very little RAM compared to other devices. Still, we'll see if we can get it working on it.

10. gambrinous

Jul 7, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    Oh and we're live on Android, too. Is it bad karma to mention that here? Hope not :p

11. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    Ok with the caveat that I've only played through the tutorial mission this seems like a very wonderful thing indeed.

The link I posted and the other comments give a better description of the gameplay than I can but its nothing like Galaxy Keep.

I was going to bed but I'm about to delve deeper - huge thumbs up for me there's a lot of love gone into this and it shows.

12. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Nope that's awesome. My kids played this with me on PC/MAC as well and I had planned on buying them a copy on Android too. It's just too awesome not to own everywhere. Happy to see it's out now.

Also thanks again for letting all of us test the mobile game. I love when Devs post mobile beta info on the Steam forums for currents supporters like that.

13. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Nice price! Smash...hurry up and download, will you!?

14. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Bug:
    Help tips for Traits when opening the character menu in a dungeon do not show up as they do in the pc version.

Crash:
    When entering the dungeon "Adventure-A victimless crime" with Apprentice character, caused the game to crash to a black screen with "An error occurred 1009" message.
    Has not repeated.

iPad Pro 12.9 inch, iOS 9.3.2

15. gambrinous

Jul 7, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    We have a fix ready for both of those. Going to put a patch forward for apple review tomorrow. Here's the likely patch notes, just in case you guys run into something we've got a fix ready for:

PATCH NOTES
    - fix scars tooltips to show 2nd scar info too
    - bigger tappable area on victory screen to get more info on new scars
    - tap any trait in character sheet to see tooltip info for all traits at once
    - fixed blessing not being applied when loading straight into a dungeon
    - fixed a number of crashes after finishing quests w/ bosses
    - updated UI for cards in hand in battle. Tap once to select & get more info; tap a second time to play it
    - updated UI for phones to use some bigger elements
    - moved options cog to top-right in most screens and made it bigger (phone layout)
    - in battle, the single heart showing HP with a number in it now empties down to help spot when stuff like fury is going to trigger (phone layout)
    - added 49 achievements
    - UI & legibility improvements in phone mode
    - tweaked carousel feel
    - optional scars work again

16. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Am I missing something or why cant I ever choose the gear from the right side when I win the fight? Theres never equip option there

17. gambrinous

Jul 7, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    Just a bug in the carousel. Fix ready in next patch! You can work around it for now by tapping to the right of the 2nd-last item, instead of swiping over.

18. I think it's a bug. Try tapping on the card instead of swiping. I was confused at first also, but then one point I was able to get the equip button (and cards) to appear by tapping, then it would disappear again if I swiped. The swiping between cards is a little fiddly anyway, so I keep trying to train my brain to just tap.

19. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Thank you both

20. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Won't get chance to launch my game until tomorrow now but looking forward to it and nice to see the dev feedback here. It's a shame characters don't really have persistant upgrades, but as you said with the battle scars they kind of are and I'm guessing the guild is too?

First game I've actually purchased in weeks maybe more as there hasn't been that much making me want to stop playing games I already play.