Universal Guardian Sword (by Picsoft Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jul 19, 2015.

1. ReluctantFr0g

ReluctantFr0g Member

May 21, 2013
    So did I hit a bug in the fortress? I solved the puzzle to get the red zone key but then I am stuck. It doesn't show the key in my inventory and the key is gone from the pedestal. I go to the door to fight the boss and there is a red door but it won't open. And a bolder too but I can't break it. The dwarf mine is blocked cause my torch is wet and the sewer has a bolder blocking progress. Help!!!

2. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Played this for a few hours and it's
    Pretty awesome—the hero is a jerk but then even the Paladins in this world are pricks so—what can I say. The script is really the weak point as far as I'm concerned. But totally recommend if you like matching RPGs! The little quests and map really keep me going for the next thing, and boss battles are exciting.

3. LillyP

LillyP Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2015
    #103 LillyP, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    I want to help but not sure about the key.
    You need
    new teammate from fortress 3 by solving those stone plates and heart
    then go to
    fortress 4
    and try to break it again.

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Great game. Requires grinding, but not a bad thing. Wish you great success.

5. LillyP

LillyP Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Sorry. Here's my too late reply... :eek: I'm lvl 47 now heading to
    the last demon stone.
    How about you?

6. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    Can anyone speak to the "super rare items" that the gnome can steal? Wondering if it's worth it.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I picked this one up being free without expecting much and now im totally blown away.

The early stages were a bit difficult coz i didnt upgrade the shield til much later, but upon realizing and correcting that, the game really opened up to be pretty deep.

Sharp visuals, decent sounds, a sort of anti-hero main character together with a few other interesting ones, deep gameplay and RPG mechanics based around connect-match-3, very good sense of exploration and adventure and a premium balance (based on playing for 2 hours straight).

The only downside so far was even before i downloaded the game. I didnt expect this to be fantastic at first because there are tons of freemium match-3s around and im tired of seeing new ones, and this week in particular got a stampede of match-3s.

Highly recommended. :)

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Level 27, have about 10 hours and starting to see the "freemium" aspects. Upgrading to level 6 armor is 8500 gold, at about 300 coins / battle, takes close to 30 battles. With 6 pieces of equipment to upgrade, that is lots and lots of grinding. Of course, one can always buy gold rather than grind for a couple hours. (I suspect that is the whole point)

Balance was much, much better til i got over level 20 about 7 or 8 hours in. Now, all I am doing is endless battles, with the highest level enemies i have encountered, merely to upgrade equipment. My fear is this is going to get even worse, as the rise in equipment costs far outstrip the money gained in battle.

I really, really liked the game for the first 8 hours, but i know i am going to give up on it when i have to spend a couple hours grinding to purchase equipment so i can move forward against new enemies and bosses.

9. LillyP

LillyP Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Pretty sure they are those in Rare Item catalog.

10. LillyP

LillyP Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2015
    #110 LillyP, Jul 25, 2015
    Well, I didn't grind much and haven't bought any IAP so far. Now I'm level 50. If you tell me more about those enemies, maybe I can help. Or just check out the strategy guide on the website.

11. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    I have 26 hours invested in the game. I am level 62, with the best purchasable gear. There is no freemium issue, and there is no paywall. Yes, I had to grind at times. Sometimes for an hour or two. It's an RPG. RPGs have grinding. Was it a terribly long time? No. Was it tedious? Not really. Is there an option to bypass the grinding? Yep. Do you need it? Absolutely not.

You "really really liked the game", but you aren't willing to grind (in an RPG), or support the developers for a game you enjoyed and put time into?

12. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    #112 zeroex, Jul 25, 2015
    How do I unlock skull gates?

13. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    There is no paywall at all. All the iAPs are there in case you aren't used to JRPGs or don't want to invest time in the game.

14. modus_ataraxia

Jan 7, 2015
    Skull Key. It's quite late into the game.

If you aren't in the 60s, you're not near it.

15. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military

Hmmm... I read my post over several times never once mentioned a paywall, but everyone is responding like I mentioned a paywall.. I think folks are spoiling for an argument or something.

I brought up that I think the balance of the game is not as good as I have increased levels and the grinding is just battling the same enemies in the highest level place for a couple hours merely to be able to get better gear. No further exploration, no testing battle styles, just battle, rinse and repeat. Grinding is a part of many, many RPGs, but I guess I have found there is tedious grinding, and fun grinding, and this is becoming tedious grinding to me. If the balance were better, the enemies would drop more coins and it wouldn't take 150 battles to upgrade your stuff.

Anyways, the developer has dropped in a couple times and I think the balance needs some tweaking. If most people are OK with it, then I am in the minority, and the game won't get changed. It is all good.

16. modus_ataraxia

Jan 7, 2015
    You discussed giving up on the game because you didn't like how the game's freemium aspects prevented you from progressing without grinding or paying. Then you expressed how you thought the grinding was becoming too much for you. That's describing a paywall.

YMMV, but I have about 3 hours of grinding total in this game, and I'm practically at its end.

I agree with you, though, that as a paid app, there shouldn't be IAP, just better balance. The game is fantastic, but devs should always pick one or the other.

17. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    Lol yeah thanks I hadn't gotten that far yet. Nice to see that gems are purchasable with in game money. I won't necessarily be so stingy with them now when I face a tough boss.

18. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Where do you see that? When i tap on the gems it says, not purchasable in-game. Am i missing something?

19. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Gems cannot be purchased with in-game currency, just shows how much gems you have. Gems are IAP only :(

20. LillyP

LillyP Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Sorry. For me, just want to give more ideas in case it works. I didn't buy all gears. Only the ones I need, usually swords and armors(+1 forge sometimes) and skip some crossbows and capes. I thought you met swamp boss coz I met him when I was level 27 and thought we might play the same way, I mean didn't grind much.