GTA 3 Graphics modding guide (must see)!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dan007, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Someone already improved the graphics to a point that they are even better on a 4s or ipad2?:)

2. gingster

gingster New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    IT something
    Philippines
    wow! is GTA3 available to download for free or by itunes?

3. Defiance211

Defiance211 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Is there any chance that you could do this with real racing 2 on a4 devices, i think the a4 can handle the graphics seen on the 4s and ipad 2

4. Marck527

Marck527 Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Hi i really wanna try this but iexplorer isnt letting me, it sys it cant listen to iphone or something, is there any other alternative to iexplorer that i can use?

5. SCZ77

SCZ77 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    C.R.
    iFunBox worked for me.

6. Marck527

Marck527 Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    dw bro! i used iFile instead! worked like a charm on my ipod 4g! graphics looks like the one on the 4s and it still plays smooth!.

7. gen1521

gen1521 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    internet stalking
    Tokyo, Japan
    Gore.

Ey, would someone make a hack to enable the gore PLEASE? I'M BEEEGINGG. I don't enjoy sniping people and their heads still intact =(. Also, found this
    HTML:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmQbvVXZjoA
    . Think it's possible doing it on iOs?

8. Curleh Mustache

Curleh Mustache Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    So, how well does GTA 3 (Without the mods) run on a regular iPhone 4?

9. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    I now have modded vehicles working in the game and have altered the handling characteristics of every vehicle to suite my liking.

So far the cars I have are:

Audi TT
    Lamborghini Murcielago
    Porche 911
    Ferrari 360

I tried a bunch of other cars (Been at this for about 5 hours so far) and many cars do not work. Either because of a super high poly count, or other .dff or .txd issues.

This guide (Guide) is the best one for beginners and describes in detail how to mod cars. Its best to use a windows based machine because I have not been able to find a working IMG Tool 2.0 for mac. (Bootcamped here)

IF anyone happens to read this and has successfully gotten the Lamborghini Diablo/Countach working on their iDevice would you link the mod please?!!!

The lambo mod is the best looking and greatest handling car in the game so far. So I copied its handling stats and replaced other top end cars with those stats. If you want the Handling.cfg file just message me and Ill give it to you.

Unjailbroken iPad 2 and iPhone 4S 5.0.1.

10. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    It runs fine on my non-jailbroken iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1. Even after I modded it to have the extra lighting & blood effects. Although when I tried it with retina resolution, the frame rate dropped whenever it rained in the game so I changed it back to the lower resolution to keep the frame rate up.

11. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    It's cool that you guys are able to play it with the same
    level of detail as what the 4S can offer.

12. tomi676

tomi676 New Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Hi I also set up MAX graphics but now on my i4 this game slow down :/ and a question is how to disable hi-res (retina) graphics and preserve this setting like (blood, shadows and lights) to improve my frame rate?
    thx 4 answer dude! :)

P.S. And its looks the same without retina resolution or maybe is a huge difference?

13. tomi676

tomi676 New Member

Jan 4, 2012
    And one more question is possible to enable retina graphisc on Chinatown Wars?

14. rhubbard16

rhubbard16 Member

Jan 4, 2012
    #94 rhubbard16, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
    A couple things first to try for GTA3 are as follows: for Jail Breakers's only IOS 5-try Retinasizer it upconverts an Open GL app to native retina resolution-(it does eliminate jaggies on GTA 3). Also change powermanagement.bundle constraints to enable tweak-releases limitations on the Iphone 4 processor to 1ghz through the battery its the same tweak on the Ipad.It seems to do a great job, and have recorded clock speeds, those are it so far. well also disable multitasking that frees up some VMemory too.

I need an add on ext. for ifile hex editor?
    BTW is there any chance someone has thought of increasing the memory cache(system management)to help out with draw distance and pop in?

15. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Here, use this file instead - http://www.mediafire.com/?23rv2iphns2drhi

I lowered the resolution, but kept all the extra lighting & blood effects.

And no, there isn't a big difference between the two resolutions. Retina resolution looks sharper, but the game doesn't look bad in the lower resolution either.

No, not to my knowledge. The game was never made to support retina display so I don't think it's possible.

16. rhubbard16

rhubbard16 Member

Jan 4, 2012
    If jailbroken you can use retinasizer on chinatown wars its on retinasizer touch arcade forums use the search bar for comparison pics!

17. mateofalcone

mateofalcone Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    I decided to see what the max settings file from the first page would do on my iPad 1. Initially, there was no gta3.set file in the rockstar/Documents folder, so I just pasted it in to see what happened.

The good news: The game looks great, with all the bells and whistles we've been discussing.

The bad news: The buttons are now all over-sized, so it's difficult to play. Not surprisingly, the .set file seems to control button sizes and locations, and it's placed them as if the iPad was an iPhone (think x2 mode). Someone with more knowledge of how the buttons are controlled could probably fix it. I'm not sure why the iPad didn't even have the file to begin with.

18. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    on your iPad go to the controls and reset to default, it should return the control sizes back to iPad standards.

19. miumius

miumius Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Will this improve the quality on the iPhone 4S?

20. rhubbard16

rhubbard16 Member

Jan 4, 2012
    My configs:
    Iphone 4-IOS 5,Jail Broken redsnow b3 untethered,Retinasizer GTA3 string enabled,Power.management battery released to 1ghz,background multitasking disabled.

Dragged and dropped max settings GTA3.set in documents folder with iexplorer and in game menu reset controls to defaults!*crossing fingers*

My final impressions are this, razor sharp polygons and well worth the effort. No tearing or lag in frames just smooth-smooth-I have the same version as 4S or Ipad maybe better! What next 5.1 lossless audio?
    Thanks to you I am gonna get cozy with my Custom Sony phones and enjoy the memory lane ride:D:D:D:D

Many, Many Thank You's!