GTA 3 Graphics modding guide (must see)!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dan007, Dec 19, 2011.

1. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
  2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Well I took a banshee for a spin and got in a big firefight with the police to test the performance. And it appears to run fine. There were no noticeable drops in frame rate and no crashes. The lower resolution seems to be keeping the game running smooth. So I can understand why Rockstar made the game run at a lower resolution on A4 devices, but I'm still not quite sure why the took away the lighting, shadow and blood effects as the game runs just as smooth when they are included.

I think you're probably right about Rockstar being on the cautious side and taking away the effects to ensure the game runs smoothly on all A4 devices. There are many people who leave lots of apps running in the background and never reboot their device. I see so many 1-star reviews for iOS games, complaining about games crashing.

3. blood_sam

blood_sam Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Hi,

I've just registered especially to thank you and your great job. I tried several of the files available here and I've made my own file to keep my commands and the language of my game (I'm french), but I noticed some value for the draw distance that are not listed on the first post, like CC CC AC or 99 99 C9 (the value on my iPad, that seems superior to the medium value...), if it can help...

4. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    The game chugs along nicely with your config file on my iPad 1. It's alright when it's not raining, but when it rains, ooooh boy. And it rains quite a bit. I wish I could turn it off. Still, I do prefer the game like this, but I definitely understand why these effects were disabled on iPad 1, don't know about iPhone 4.
    P.S
    Does anyone get some serious slowdown around Salvatore's mansion?

5. blood_sam

blood_sam Member

Dec 21, 2011
    #65 blood_sam, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    I also have these slowdowns when it rains, and around Salvatore's mansion, with the trees.

Here is my settings file for iPad 1, with all effects on, and view distance reduced to iPhone 4's one http://www.mediafire.com/?j834o800i1x1w6r if someone wants to test it... (some values are not the same as the iPhone 4's ones, I don't know if it changes something)

6. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    How did you fix the problem?

7. blood_sam

blood_sam Member

Dec 21, 2011
    You have to put your device in sleep mode while connected, then launch iExplorer.

8. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
  9. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    #69 jjjmedia, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    I've tried that, also restarting my idevice/PC, and I'm still getting that error. Any other ideas?

EDIT: It took me around 15 times to get past that glitch!

10. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Does anyone have a preset for running it better on an iPod 3rd Gen? Not really bothered about effects, just need a smoother frame rate.

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Try this. It has no effects and I reduced the draw distance to minimum so it should run a bit smoother.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2KRWRT8A

12. maxgz

maxgz New Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks a bunch man

When Vice city and San andreas come out hopefully can u do the same. Knowing apple they will probably do the same think. And again THANKS!!!. Looks much better.

13. blood_sam

blood_sam Member

Dec 21, 2011
    #73 blood_sam, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  14. Oapples

Oapples New Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Hi Dan,

I was wondering if you could make a gta3.set file with the lowest possible graphic settings (lowest texture, effects etc.) but keep the same resolution?

Thanks

15. blood_sam

blood_sam Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Take the file uploaded by LBG on the first post of this page ;)

16. Oapples

Oapples New Member

Dec 23, 2011
    #76 Oapples, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
    I did and it does run smoother however the resolution is messed up.

How can I change it to no more than 480*800.

Thanks

EDIT: I use the old one and the framerate is better but it goes out of the screen.

17. blood_sam

blood_sam Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Which device are you running the game on ?
    If the buttons have been moved, you can restore their position in the options.

Which old one ?

18. Oapples

Oapples New Member

Dec 23, 2011
    #78 Oapples, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
    I have an android phone. I know everything here is for iPhone and iPods and you all love apple but this is the only place I could find that helped with running gta on my uncompatible phone.

The "old" one was the gta3.set posted by LBG.

EDIT: I tried to move the buttons back into the screen but that didn't work because some of the buttons aren't in the screen at all. And I can't see the little arrow at the bottom that skips scenes. =(

EDIT 2: This is my default gta3.set file:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JDXWLDMG

Now I can't seem to figure out your instructions to change the hex file.

All I want to do is edit this file and turn off all special effects (blood, traffic lights and other good graphics) and make it the lowest possible settings that are playable (not absolutely no viewing distance because then I'm just driving in black space).

I also heard removing sound helps too. So somehow remove sound and improve gameplay.

Do you think you can help me. Androids and Apples aside?

19. blood_sam

blood_sam Member

Dec 21, 2011
    The file that LBG posted was already including the minimum settings possible, but I've made an other (I've edited your original, so your buttons should be well-placed) with frame-limiter off, maybe it will run a little bit better.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3jli77aybw9jfg7

You said you had moved the buttons in the options, but if you select "Restore default position" (or something like that, I don't have an english version), it will replace all buttons depending of the screen size, so everything will be visible :)

Hope it helps

20. matrixhunter

matrixhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    if you guys were able to modify the game like this is it possible for you guys to mod and replace the cars with real life cars like making the banshee into a dodge viper like those typical gta mods for the pc that replace the cars and weapons