GTA 3 Graphics modding guide (must see)!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dan007, Dec 19, 2011.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA

Until myself or Thirstydude or anyone else uploads something newer and better, that's correct. I don't think the .set can be improved further beyond greater draw distance, the particle.cfg is pretty much the best I could find short of making my own. (which I would love to do if I knew how...)

The .img file is the latest and greatest, but hopefully I (or anyone who wishes to) will be able to add more cars soon for the iPad 3. Looks as though, for the first time, us iPad 3 owners are finally getting improved eye candy vs iPad 2; Ten cars or so is as much as 512 mb of RAM can take, according to K0N3.

***Consider this .img the A5 file***

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    NVM looks as though I didn't read very closely...was that 15 cars and the iPad 3 20? Would the .img be considered the A4???

Somebody help me out :eek: Now's when I wish I had my iTouch 4 still...

3. K0N3

K0N3 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    #283 K0N3, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
    15 Cars seems to be the max for 512mb Ram using the iPhone 4S/iPad 2 A5 Processor (iPhone 4/iPad and below may struggle at 15 because of the A4 processor) Every Mod uses ram, that's the only reason I only made 10 custom cars, so I could also add new buildings, new maps etc and to also find a stable balance for all generations.

As for the iPad3, I'm not sure how many custom cars you would be able to add (I don't own one to test, but you do have the luxury of an A5x processor 1Gb Ram and a dedicated GPU). Also don't forget about the different GPU's in each generation of iPhone/iPad/iTouch. This also plays a factor when adding anything custom, especially if it's at a higher resolution/higher polygons...

Also the iTouch 4 only holds 256Mb ram... making it not great for playing modded games, hope this helps.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA

Thanks. I guess, since iPad 3 is the only iOS device I own right now, some other people will have to test a5 and a4 devices.

Anyone with an itouch 4 want to test the img file and tell us how it goes? If it runs fine in the 4g touch, it'll be ok on the iPhone with its 512 mb of ram.

I'll add 5 more cars soon and post it as the a5 img file. Anyone want to test it? If it runs ok then I'll try adding the stung park and any other maps I can find. If those don't run ok then we can cut back on the cars.

As for a5x I'm just going to keep going and add all the mods I can find until I get the framerate to drop below 45, or it starts crashing. I'm hoping for 20 or so cars. My problem is more finding hi-res ones than the crashing. For now.

K0N3, where did you find those map mods that turned buildings into higher res real-life ones? If you could give us the links I could add them to my next .img. Also, any other ideas for good mods? I read earlier on this or another thread that some guy was working to get VC missions and maps. Is that even possible?

5. K0N3

K0N3 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I was pulling the textures from the 'GTAIII Real Life Mod' and manually replacing the relevant textures, then recompiling the files.

Sure... I can give you a link to the textures from that mod Planet Grand Theft Auto There is over 108 texture replacements for you there

Well some/most mods came be recompiled to work for GTAIII as long as it's not script based. As for other mods you could use... the Ghost Town with a drivable bridge seems cool, as-well as some of the total conversions, although you don't have to include the all the changes from the conversions, just the ones you like or that work, this should give you at least something to start on.

I was planning on adding various different mods for this game as it is basically the PC version of the game (Hint-Hint for more mods and research) with the new X-Box textures added to the A5/A5x versions of the game. But since January 11 of this year we had our first baby... as you can imagine this has taken up all of my free time (I thought I could sneak an hour here or there, but no such luck) so I no longer have the time needed to perform these mods, or even for testing and feedback... But I can try to give you any advice on anything that you may not quite yet understand.

Good luck and I look forward in seeing some of the your work posted on these forums :D

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Thank you and congratulations on the baby!!

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Do any of you guys have gta3 (PC game) on your computer with the "RealGTA" mod installed? Please upload the texture files!!! I cannot just download the mod myself because it's an installer and I don't own the PC edition. It won't install unless I have the game, and that mod is basically a compilation of the best vehicles and textures.

8. K0N3

K0N3 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    #288 K0N3, May 24, 2012
    Erm... I don't know what file you are downloading, but the link that I provided for you has all of the .tga files needed for that mod, it's called gta3modspack and should be 14.2Mb. What's this talk about an installer, I wouldn't link you to anything of the sort, you have to manually add these .tga files yourself and you certainly don't need the PC version of the game to gain these textures... let me know if you need any more help/advice

Here is another link, uploaded by myself http://www.mediafire.com/?55shq9t4ymxx703

EDIT:
    Ahh, my apologies, you were talking about the complete or final edition RealGta3... You would have to extract the installer :eek:

9. K0N3

K0N3 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    #289 K0N3, May 24, 2012
    Because I'm feeling in a good mood... I've extracted the RealGTA files for you and I don't own the PC version either, uploading as we speak, give me 20mins or so and I will have a link for you, it's about 106Mb :D

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Little embarrassed to ask this (and take time away from your family), but how would I extract the installer? I take it using winrar? Once the file is extracted it's an installer that will only install to a gta3 directory. Should I just make a fake directory labeled gta3?

All I'm looking for is a comprehensive collection of quality vehicles and textures to swap. It's tedious to scour the internet looking for cars only to find that they don't load or look like crap. RealGTA or any website with a big mod pack like that would be greatly helpful. Until then, what I've been doing is googling the mods that you uploaded and using those. However, of I could get my hands on RealGTA then I could do a complete overhaul of the game. Who knows if it'll work, even, but it's worth a try.

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    *Heart jumps*

Thanks! This'll be really interesting, I'll see what I can do with it! :)

12. K0N3

K0N3 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Here you go RealGTA... I haven't had time to sort these files into any type of simple categories, only extracted the files from the .exe... I'm looking forward in seeing your progress :D

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Went over the files for an hour and a half or so...I must say that there's a lot of material in all of them. Unfortunately, the vehicles from real gta (at least the ones I tryed) won't load. That's a real bummer.

As for the texture-swapping around liberty, I saw a great wealth of them. However, I downloaded texture swap and kept getting an error while opening up the .img file. What program did you use, and is there any way to perhaps lower the polygon count on some of these vehicles?

14. K0N3

K0N3 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    #294 K0N3, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
    The program that I was using to open the .img file was IMG tool 2.0... To lower the poly count for the cars you would have to reskin the textures. Once you start to change up the building textures you will learn how to create these .TXD files for yourself, within those files are 4-8 pictures that make up the texture, building or car...

15. #295 Hoggy110, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
    Once i find out how to install it on my iPod touch, I'll try Real GTA

16. thirstydude

thirstydude Well-Known Member

Guys i made big progress the last few days, i fixed bugs with cars, installed the wheel mod and so far i have a LOT of replaced cars, a optimized gta3.set with more draw distance and some minor optical tweaks, map changes with access to cutscene locations, but most awesome of all: a all-new handling mod which changes all driving physics to more realistic ones! Drifting made much easier and more realistic, sports cars and normal cars now have acceleration which fits every different type of car.

17. Cypher

Cypher Member

May 4, 2012
    @thirstydude: Wow good job dude,more draw distance sound great!How is the framerate holding up?If you don't mind please do share your Mods with the rest of us! Thanks in advance for sharing!

18. thirstydude

Yep i'm gonna share it with you, i just need time to upload (i'm at my parents home right now they have shitty internet :( )

I maxed the draw distance out, the performance isn't the best (heavy drops below 20 fps but it IS playable!) so i'm gonna upload 2 versions one with better performance and one with maxed out graphics. (personally i can live with a few drops and if some of you ever played max payne mobile... this is still great in comparison with max payne.. so it's pretty playable even at max settings)

19. thirstydude

#299 thirstydude, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
    Here's a List of all changes i made:

(this pack is meant ONLY for the new retina iPad!)

-----------------------------------
    Savegames

I included a savegame which starts at the first mission that brings you to the third island, so you instantly have (official) access to all three islands in the game. If you DO NOT want this and want to start a fresh game, copy ONLY gta3.set to the documents folder, nothing else!

I patiently tested and optimized this pack so i only have high quality maps and cars in it aswell as long-tested settings. This pack does not limit any of the missions ingame, so you can just install this full pack and start a new game and play it from the start till the end!

HERE'S THE CHANGELIST:

gta3.set

- Leaves and Newspapers floating around Liberty City
    - Uncut Patch for Blood
    - Maximized Draw Distance (reduced annoying popups ingame)
    - All graphical Effects enabled (Lights, Shadows, Smoke...)
    - Enabled AA to enjoy the best possible quality on the new iPad
    - Also added a second gta3.set with normal Drawing Distance for a overall smooth game without affecting any other effects, since this is the iPad3 Setting i didn't turn off AA since high draw distance is way easier to sacrifice than a overall better quality.

particles.cfg

- New Reflection System for all Cars
    - New Effects like Water Splash and Smoke placed all over the City to breathe a little more life into Liberty City
    - Totally new Car-Smoke effects
    - other minor changes

Terrain based Changes:

- Stunt Island
    - Sky Bridge
    - Looping
    - Rooftop Stairs with access to Cutscene Interiors
    - 2 Bridges connection all 3 Islands together
    - Ghost Town Bridge

All new driving physics!

- Now THIS is a real bummer! All cars do now have WAY more realistic characteristics. Ordinary Cars are waaaay slower than the real sports cars, that makes sports cars even funnier to ride. Besides that, heavy engined cars (sports and muscle cars) have a awesome new "slipping" system so, if you are skilled enough, you can drift like never before. for me this is the most awesome change ever made to GTA III!

Car Replacements:

Replaced many cars with real life cars, for example:

- Lamborghini MurciƩlago (I changed the textures of this car by myself to get the best possible model!)
    - Ferrari F50
    - Hot Rod
    - BMW Convertible
    - Porsche 911

and many more!

NOTE: I tested this pack really intensely and with my iPad 3 i had absolutely no crashes, no bugs and no performance problems that cause the game to be unplayable. Please take note this pack is ONLY FOR THE NEW IPAD, i'll do the same pack with optimizations for the iPhone 4 (A4) but this will take it's time so don't ask me for it, i'll upload it as soon as i'm done ;)

Kudos to JBRUU for his helpful settings so i didn't had to start it all from scratch!

Upload is coming later today, so stay tuned at this thread!

20. Cypher

Cypher Member

May 4, 2012
    @thirstydude: It's a shame that maximum draw distance afffects performance but i'm glad you will include a normal draw distance gta3.set :) , looking forward to you upload later his day and thanks to you and JBRUU for sharing your work!

PS.Are burning tyres still A okay like your previous fix in this set?

Many thanks!