GTA 3 Graphics modding guide (must see)!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dan007, Dec 19, 2011.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA

Found it and downloaded it. Will check it out when I get the chance.

2. Cypher

Cypher Member

May 4, 2012
    Could you post the values settings that should be changed in particle.cfg in order to get reduced smoke effects?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

3. thirstydude

thirstydude Well-Known Member

GTA III particle.cfg modding guide

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

open particle.cfg with textedit (mac) or notepad (windows) search for "rubber" and change the following values from JBRUU's particle.cfg to:

;
    RUBBER_SMOKE 255 255 255 0 0 0 0 0 0.3 0.015 180 15 2 90 10 6 0 0 0 0.0 0 0.0 1 0 0 0 -0.001 90 4000 0.03 0.02 0.0 0 3 1.0 8000.0 4
    BURNINGRUBBER_SMOKE 128 128 128 0 0 0 0 0 0.40 0.05 200 20 2 90 5 8 0 0 0 0.0 0 0.0 1 0 0 0 -0.002 90 1000 0.03 0.01 0.0 0 3 1.0 1000.0 4

simply replace those lines with the ones posted above.

the search further for "rubber" and you will find ;RUBBER between ;BLOOD_SPLASH and ;CARFLAME
    replace the original lines with:

;RUBBER 40 40 40 0.4 0.005 255 1 25 31 0 5 0 0.0 1.0 1000 0.02 0.0 0.0 0 0 1.0 0

If you don't really know what to do with these lines, here's my pre-edited particle.cfg with all effects enabled and fixed smoke!

http://www.4shared.com/file/DXrzEeeY/particle.html?

4. Cypher

Cypher Member

May 4, 2012
    @thirstydude: thanks for the help :) , much less framerate drops when car is smoking!

5. Cypher

Cypher Member

May 4, 2012
    Edit : double post sorry!

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    It helps when editing notepad files in gta like the handling or particle to toggle wordwrap — can't remember which way but basically it let's you see the lines without scrolling to the side.

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Know this is a little off topic, but...
    Anyone have any news about maybe a VC or SA port to ios? I know r* said it was "possible" but is there any other news? Would love to see those games on iOS!

8. thirstydude

Always glad to help ;)

I'd love to see them too, but to be realistic: no infos yet and i don't think they come anytime soon, maybe in a year or so.. Just my 2 cents

9. thirstydude

Anyone got some good .img for me to test out?
    i'm currently working on adjusting the resolution, maybe i can get retina on the new ipad to work, other question is if it will run smoothly....

10. thirstydude

Anyone had success with odie's stunt island? JBRUU?

It'd be awesome if someone could send me the odie's files!

:cool:

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I have mine, if you want it. It's not totally finished and I'm not satisfied with some of the cars, but a good half dozen or more are replaced.

Cheetah
    Stinger
    Infernius
    Idaho
    Manana

And there are probably a few more that I can't recall. I'll upload later today, hopefully.

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Haven't had the chance to work with the stunt park yet...hope to soon. I'll try and upload that, too so you guys can have a go.

13. thirstydude

Yep i'd love to see your img, i can add my cars too i have a lot of cars i'm totally satisfied with

That'd be great I'm looking forward to it!

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    keep in mind my .img file is FAR from complete.

15. thirstydude

Nevermind better than nothing ;)

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    ***New .img***

Hey Guys!

Finally found some time in my schedule to sit down and get to work on our beloved Grand Theft Auto III. I made (some) progress:

-New and much better .img file! Ten cars are now replaced with high-res modded versions. I did a lot of tweaks from my first .img (which was really not worthy to have been uploaded) and here is the fruit of my labors!

-New and improved handling. Mostly minor tweaks, but I went ahead and tuned up some cars while scaling back one or two that were overpowered. Mostly minor, but it should (hopefully) be a better handling set for you guys.

***Please note***

-I am not the creator of these awesome vehicles. Credit to the talented artists who poured their effort and time into making these for us! I merely compiled and test them. The handling file, however, is entirely my own.

-Also, I am far from complete with my quest for a more awesome GTA3. Here are some things that I am going to be uploading in the near future:

---Stunt parks and extra add-ons to the game's world

---Anyone want a custom/modded Claude character?

---A .img file with perhaps 20+ modded cars

---A totally revamped handling file with major mods to all cars

Until then, enjoy ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5835lm08tbk0a49

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Tell me what you think, and any suggestions too would be greatly appreciated.

18. mavere

mavere Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2012
    I just got this game and am quite excited to see that it's moddable. :D

I'm playing this on an iPad 3, and here's what I'm planning to do:

1) Get the particle.cfg from post 263 for faster smoke effects

2) Install thirstydude's mod pack from post 255

3) Replace relevant files with JBRUU's recent .img

Please tell me if those steps are somehow wrong. Well, see you guys on the other side!

19. K0N3

K0N3 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Good luck with that my friend...

If you are planing on adding more then 15 custom cars, then people devices (depending on model) will run out of memory very quickly... Only the iPad3 can achieve these extra benefits because of the 1Gb Ram. Also the better the textures used the more ram needed, ie, if you add building textures, like replacing the petrol stations and such, well this too, also requires ram.

As I have stated before you would have to create three .img files for people to really benefit from your labours... one for the iPad3, one for A5 and one for A4 and below... Hope this advice helps you out :D