Universal GT Racing 2: The Real Car Experience - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 2, 2013.

1. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Anyone here tried it on iPad 2 with iOS 7.0.2 (5.9GB free, but 645 Apps installed)?
    I synced via iTunes at first and menus were sluggish, races like a slideshow and frequent crashes. Deleted and downloaded again over the air, but same issues.

Ryan, if i can help optimizing before the worldwide launch drop me a line here or via pm

Good thing, cloud saves work reliable like in Asphalt 8 (wish they would implement that in Zombiewood :) )

2. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Hey Grace, where did you find the cloud save? Thanks

3. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    #43 killy billy, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    I just saw that you can create teams in online multiplayer.
    We should make a "toucharcade" team!!

4. amusing Grace

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Cloud saves pop up after Game Center recognition, like in Asphalt 8. Maybe you have to connect to your account first in the in-game profile settings

5. luckycharmz75

luckycharmz75 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    I have the exact same issues on an ipad mini. I downloaded because of an earlier post by someone saying it runs silky smooth on the mini. Am I missing a setting? Runs well on iPhone 5, but at my age, I prefer playing on the larger screen. Any help would be appreciated.

6. amusing Grace

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Can you give some more information for Gameloft Ryan, like which iOS, space available, number of installed apps?

7. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Not a bad idea.
    I think we can guess the usual suspects would be up for it.

8. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I'll join when it comes out . Having a lot of PC problems so can't create an account

9. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I have had a few instances of the game going from a silky smooth frame rate to a slide show. I think it might be a cloud saving/reading problem? It is prevalent when resuming the app, and normally recovers after a minute. It also happened once mid race though so I could be wrong. This is on iPhone 5, haven't tried the iPad yet.

10. luckycharmz75

luckycharmz75 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Sure. iPad mini 64 gig, 7.9 free, 138 installed apps, ios 7.02.

11. amusing Grace

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Count me in :)

12. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I'm in. Is it started already or needs to be formed?

Gamecenter ID: NO3N

13. Gameloft_Ryan

Gameloft_Ryan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Community Manager
    San Francisco
    Not sure if sensitivity affects that or not, but maybe try altering that to see if you notice an improvement.

Glad to hear it :)

I can ask about it but I don't know of any plans to save replays for future viewing. I think that'd either have to take up space on your device or a ton of space on our servers. I'll make a note of it though and see if I hear anything back on this.

Yeah, definitely try logging in with a social account or Game Center to prompt the cloud save. That should work!

Might be an issue with iOS 7. We've noticed that since it uses up more memory than iOS 6 it sometimes is causing hiccups with game performance. It's something our Devs are working hard at because it's affecting some of our more intense games like GTR 2 and Asphalt 8.

14. amusing Grace

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Glad to know you´re already aware of the hiccups and crashes.

15. benfica88

benfica88 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2009
    No manual gears???

16. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Second that(or third, fourth... Whatever we are up to). If I saw correctly though, it cost to start a team.is that right?

17. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Ah, another sidgoku post comparing another game to the "amazing" RR3, and complaining about a game not being optimized to play on equipment that's, how old? At least this time it's a racing game.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game, I'd have liked manual gear shifting options. The thing that really hurt this game the most to me was the collisions with other cars. It seems like they're not effected at all by them. I can ram my opponent into a wall, lose all my speed and see them rocket off like my car and the wall didn't exist. It's basically time trial with ghosts cars to me.

18. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #58 Rip73, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    Yeah, it's also amazing how from the 28th February to now equates to "almost a year". Isn't that just over half a year or seven months to be more precise.
    That might exemplify the lack of accuracy in the first place.

Some seem to forget that a soft launch isn't actually the final product either or that iOS 7 has caused many developers issues because of the increased amount of front end memory the os now uses and causes a direct impact on framerates.

Anyway, beyond that, RR3 could be considered (and is by many) to have still being essentially in development until version 1.2 came out which was the start of July, not too long ago, considering the massive changes that were implemented with that version and while RR3 is still very high up on my list of games and is visually the pinnacle due to a highly efficient and effective game engine, it does have some serious flaws in the latest version and this makes a very strong effort to offer something different, still visually excellent and entertaining with less road blocks.

And as I said before many other times in other threads, it is in soft launch.
    A soft launch serves a purpose to identify possible issues on a much larger scale than any closed beta test could provide, make appropriate tweaks and adjustments to incorporate in to the final version. Whether those tweaks be graphics, physics, collision detection and effect, assist adjustments, device specific optimisations or anything else related.
    Its to identify these is what a soft launch is for.

It is still just a very large open beta test so making a final judgement on a game at this stage would not necessarily be representative of the final product. As fully exemplified by the changes that went on with the structure, monetisation and physics of RR3 between first soft launch and even up to v1.3. And 2K Drive. And Blitz Brigade. And numerous other examples.

19. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    I would say this is an arcade style sim racer. I'm really enjoying it. The handling takes some time to adjust to, but once you get in the groove it's very satisfying. This game will always get the RR3 comparison, which is fair, but they are two quite different approaches. RR3 is one of my all time favorite racers, period. (Except for the cash grab it has become). But this is gonna come mighty close. I think graphically it is very different to RR3 but there is a tremendous amount of detail and polish here. I agree with the crashing bit mentioned previously, any impact between cars seems to have no effect on the opponent, but massively effects your own speed.
    The only thing I would like to have is a view with the bonnet visible.

20. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Funny how I always find myself agreeing with you:)
    RR3 will also be one of my all time favourites (and I agree the latest version with pr/gold upgrades system is a miss step) but I also like the approach this one takes as it is different enough.
    If I wanted an RR3 clone, well, I'd just play RR3.
    This offers something very different that gives me even more choice when I want to play and enjoy a racer.
    And considering I have NFS MW, RR3, Asphalt 8, 2K Drive, Table Top Racing and now this installed on each device, I'm covered across the board no matter what kind of race I want to run and each one is excellent in their own way and without doubt the top racing games on iOS.
    That kind of choice, I certainly didn't have available a year ago and its gonna take something really special to come along to get me to stop playing and delete any of those games.
    I simply consider this to be an excellent addition to an area that developers have gotten better and better at.

On the points you made about collision, Gameloft is reading all the feedback and Ryan is doing an excellent job of noting all of it and passing in on directly to the development team and as it is soft launch, you can be assured it will all be taken in to account.
    Something Gameloft have taken very seriously in the last couple of years in particular as demonstrated by the new level of excellence they've achieved while developing these new titles.