Universal Growtopia (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Seil

Seil Growtopia Seed Master

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    I just learned more about how locks work! Nifty. I hadn't really experimented with them since I've used a world lock for my main world and seediary haha.

2. QWERTYthebold

QWERTYthebold Active Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Thanks for the help. It's a bit of a hassle but it works! I have a couple questions about the servers too.

When you create a server, is it private or public? And is there a way to change that?

When I create a server, it gets added to the server list in the game. How exactly does that server list work? Does it change for different people? Am I the only one who sees my server?

3. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    This game is pretty amazing for today's IOS online games, I'm still a newb learning the ins and outs. Il be on the thread more when my phone runs out of batteries!

4. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    #84 Seil, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    Worlds are public upon generation. The ones shown on the world list are displayed to people in a number of ways, though. The most popular ones are generally shown, and then I guess it just kind of randomizes similarly low population ones. So it's possible one with one person will slide under the radar. I only know what I've gathered from observation, though. Seth could elaborate more on the inner workings of this.

The signal jammer item in the shop can allow you to hide your world to keep that from happening and can be toggled on and off. And the use of locks(especially the World Lock), of course, allows extra privacy.

Edit: Oh, and the list also shows your previous few worlds. Like the ones you've entered recently, regardless of their population. That's unique to the user.

5. Seth A Robinson

Seth A Robinson Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Game developer
    Japan
    Nothing is private, in truth there is only one server with 15,000+ user created maps. (worlds).

There is really no way for a user to list all the active worlds - the world select screen shows the most popular, and sort of randomly shows some others. It also shows the last 6 or so that you've visited, in a slightly different color.

You CAN sort of achieve the same thing as private server by making a world, then putting a lock around the white door, which is the only way people can get in. (.. except for direct door to door warps, but they'd have to know the doorID of the target to do that)

But instead of private, you'll get people appearing and demanded to be "let in", cajoling and offering gifts. Who do you trust? Ignore them all?

I feel like the most interesting aspect of online play is the interaction/friendship/feuding with real humans so everything is focused around that.

For instance, more people in a single world makes "Special Events" more likely to happen, so there is an incentive to share your worlds or work together with more people.

6. Seth A Robinson

Jun 27, 2009
    Game developer
    Japan
    Oops, totally forgot about that. Yep, what Seil said. :) If someone still knows the NAME of your world they could directly type it in though.

7. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    On that note. I have a signal jammer(not that my private world's name is difficult for anyone that knows my username to find out lol) but haven't tested this. Does broadcasting while in a world with a signal jammer still show the world name? And if so, any chance that could be changed? Because that would partially reduce its usefulness haha.

8. Seth A Robinson

Jun 27, 2009
    Game developer
    Japan
    You'll appear as being from "JAMMED!".. so it's safe to broadcast.

9. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Cool, nice to know. I do enjoy public worlds from time to time, but since a lot of my time has been experimenting with combinations, peacefulness is nice haha.

10. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Here's what you do make one world private just for you (world lock) then make one public for people where you have a chance for special events

11. QWERTYthebold

QWERTYthebold Active Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Thanks for the response. That helped a bit. I have just ONE more question, then I'll shut my mouth:

Can you delete worlds? I assume each world is identified by the name it's given, so once a name is used you can't have another world with that name. So what happens when there are 200,000 worlds with maybe 50,000 being used, and it's really hard to find a name you want?

12. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Hope that the one you want that isn't being used doesn't contain any locks I guess haha x.x

Perhaps there could be an expiry thing? Like if a world hasn't been visited in a long time it resets? Dunno.(Idea, not an assumption of an existing mechanic)

13. Seth A Robinson

Jun 27, 2009
    Game developer
    Japan
    Well, we've been talking about it.

I think the server should be able to handle 500k+ of worlds, there is really no shortage if you don't mind weird names. COOLWORLD2500YEAH for instance is still open... :)

I could be horribly wrong and server issues force us to start scanning and deleting worlds that have no locks and haven't been visited in X amount of days though. But the best would be just to keep everything forever.

14. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    And poop and nipple world is still open I believe lol *facepalm*

15. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    #95 Tannorexic, Jan 12, 2013
    >TO THE WORLD CREATOR I GO! Lol
    How do you know they're free? Once you type it in, if it doesn't exist it creates it. So you are the proud new owner of poop and nipple land xD

I don't understand why I have to carry all my clothes.. Most games with clothes once you equip the clothes/armour you no longer have to clog your inventory with it.. I'm contemplating going nude in protest so I can have 6 extra backpack slots!

A few ideas:

1.Friends list

2.Notifications when trees have finished growing

3.A in game book with recipes (we fill in our book as we discover recipes, or we can pay $1.99c to unlock all recipes so people still try to figure them out for themselves at first.. It brings mystery to the game, I liked struggling with recipes when I first started)

4. Slot machine - we need something else to spend gems on.. I've bought almost everything on the shop list, while I still need more backpack space and will always probably use my gems for that, I'd really like something else to spend gems on. A slot machine game could be in the shop, it could cost 50 gems for a spin, and you could win things like locks, backpack expansions, exclusive clothes that aren't available elsewhere, vehicles, pets, etc Also, it should be like the recycle feauture, in the way that we should have to have made an IAP to unlock it. Giving people yet another great reason to spend a few bucks of the game to show the devs some love.

5. I wish the recycle feature could actually recycle. Like if you throw in a tier 2 item, you get back a random tier 1 item.. or if you recycle 10 tier 3 items, you get 10 of a random tier 2 item. (all the same, if you bundle them you also get a bundle of the randomised item)
    But if you throw away tier 1 items, you just get gems.

6. Chests to store things in- again, I'd be happy to pay to unlock this feature. maybe it could be in the shop next to backpack expansions, knstead you buy a chest and buy chest expansions.
    Backpack expansions got expensive quickly and there's just so many different items in the game.

7. Trade feature. The game is really about all the different crafted items, people inevitably will want to trade, but without a system in place I'm sure it'll end it alot of scamming.

8. Weapons that make you break blocks faster

9. Weather system. I love how there are many things that are difficult to acquire in the game, that would fuel alot of people to continue playing to get the items, but once we have all those items it'd be good to have more challenges. If we could get certain items depending on things like the time of day, month, and even weather ..like when it's raining we can collect soil, at night we can collect rare funghi, if some items could only be found at specific times like that, it'd make a good challenge.

10: themed worlds-
    I'd be cool if we have more template worlds to choose from.
    Things like Egypt, or rainforest. Kind of like biomes I guess, but not underground. Just a world to start off with, and would give us new elements to discover and mine. Or even just 1 official world, one jungle, one Egypt, you can mine there but every hour the blocks all get refreshed back to normal state, making some of the elements harder to get.

16. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    #96 Seil, Jan 12, 2013
    1. I totally agree, friends list would be awesome.

2. This wouldn't really work because trees aren't actually owned. They just exist. They can be destroyed by anyone when there isn't a lock, and making a system to record if a locked tree is growing to send pushes and stuff could be messy and annoying.

3. Agree except for the paying to unlock. Yes there are public sources, hell I'm making one, but there's an added satisfaction to finding special, rare recipes and having that exclusive knowledge for a bit. This would hold especially true when new higher tier items are added to the game. I think this type of discovery is one of the nice things about Growtopia.

4. I'm indifferent toward the slot machine.

5. Not really sure how I feel about it. Not really against it but not really for it. But not really indifferent either lol.

6. Yup, agree. I'm burning through bag space really quickly, especially since I'm experimenting with all of the combinations x.x You can "store" things by dropping them in a secure location, but even that has potential problems like if a hacker gets around the system or if something wonky happens server side. I would hate to come back and find a rare item I was "storing" has disappeared.

7. A trading system would be nice. I'm wanting to make a trading world with trade buildings(using the concept of Terraria trade towers, but altered to work with what Growtopia offers) for people to use. But I need a World Lock before I consider actually working on it and I need to save gems for inventory space. And both of my world locks are kind of tied up(personal world and seediary)

8. The Pickaxe makes some blocks break faster! Rocks are still annoying to farm since they still take 8 hits, though lol...

9. Eh. I like the systematic uncovering of items and this feels like it would add more annoyance than anything to me.

10. Indifferent.

-------------------------

On another note!

SEEDIARY has now been updated with Fifth Generation trees. 36 total in Gen V, that's more than all of the first four generations of items combined! 69 trees in all so far.

I would also gladly accept seed donations to help further the project. Not just rare seeds, but really any seeds except Dirt and Cave Background. I go through a lot of seeds testing combinations, so I'm constantly low on a lot of things. And farming for lower tier seeds cuts into the time I can spend experimenting! Rock seeds are a huge pain even with the pickaxe lol...

17. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    No they were on the list eariler. I'm more mature then that. Gotta be 10 year olds

18. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    How do I make a pick axe

19. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Portcullis + Cave Background

Portcullis = Death Spikes + Dungeon Door

20. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Ok update needs a gem shop where you can buy what you need with gems.