grocery apps

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by soup, Apr 9, 2009.

1. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    would like to buy one of these but they are all bloody expensive and dont have lite versions.

Pick&Choose
    Shopalot
    ineedstuff
    SplashShopper
    shopwiz
    shopper
    grocery gadget
    groceries
    shopping list
    foodle

i have found some reviews but they always seem to be two versions out of date at least, and so a lot of there points in the review are no longer valid - which doesn't exactly help matters !

So anyone got any of these ? opinions are welcomed !

tia

2. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    ShopShop is a good one to start on. It's free. I used it for a bit and then decided what it was missing for my needs and started looking for a pay one. GroceryGadget fit perfectly. Especially with it's recent update for a free web portal you can use to sync with other iPhones and computers via shared and password protected groups.

With that and cost calculation with tax I've found my app.

3. jparris1

jparris1 Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I really like Grocery IQ. Simple to use but lots of power.

4. Galley

Galley Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Grocery IQ

5. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    strangely that one Grocery IQ is not in the german store ?

6. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I've tried them ALL (Grocery IQ is slow!) and my favorite is Mid Centuries Shopper. It's updated all the time, you can setup multiple lists and even setup lists of common items so making future lists are a lot quicker. They are about to release another version that supports stores and per-store-pricing. No lite version, but right now it's only 99 cents.

Grocery IQ is actually all right. It has by far the largest food database, so if that's important to you then it's worth a look. I just found it too slow to use for my taste.

GroceryZen supports recipes so you can quickly add items to your list. Shopper can do this too btw using templates though it's not as intuitive. So if you want to do that get groceryzen or shopper. (Not literally recipes, both remember a list of items and their quantities and you can add that to a shopping list. Things like prep instructions and procedures aren't covered and wouldn't work well on the iphone anyway.

Ones to avoid: Splash shopper (ten bucks, and the desktop tool costs another $20... as a shopping app it's pretty plain and hasn't been updated for a long time). Ineedstuff, overpriced as well and tries to overmanage your list by sorting items by the order you check them off. Seems like a good idea but if you backtrack there is no way to easily resort the list next time. Also not updated much.

7. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
  8. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    #8 soup, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
    ok thanks thats helpful - and at that price i can check shopper out :)

also been looking at this one Groceries
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307711028&mt=8

which at least in the german store has good reviews including 1 which says they'd previously had shopper which was the best but this is better

but first i'll check shopper out

edit btw $1.99 The Shopping List has just dropped to 0,00 so i'll check that out too :)
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=309776906&mt=8

9. Spacedoggy

Spacedoggy Member

Jan 17, 2009
    iPhone Dev, Composer
    Tasmania, Australia
    I really like SmartShop :)

10. Need

Need Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I use shoppinglist (one word). I think it is 99 cents. It doesn't have a large built in database, but I can add whatever I want. It remembers the items in a list so you could easily add it back later when it is time to restock. I highly recommend it.

11. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    funnily enough the one i was looking at is now on sale
    Groceries - Grocery shopping today
    Price: $1.99 (down from $2.99)

so i may pick that one up too !
    and i suspect i will have to do a comparison myself soon :)

12. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I got groceries too... it's a very polished looking app with an elegant UI. It's missing some of the more advanced features of Shopper or GroceryIQ though. The thing that REALLY kills it is you can't resort aisles according to how your grocery store is laid out. I would find myself backtracking a lot more when using that app. Love that corkboard/notebook look though! :)

13. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Don't be surprised if Apple pulls The Shopping List, its way to close to "Shopper".

It looks like the Lite version has already been pulled.

14. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    well glad i grabbed it before its pulled :)

15. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    just buy it it is not like it is braking the bank dude its $.99 i could buy something much worse than a shopping list with $.99 all the paper you spend on lists costs more than the $.99 that a shopping app would cost.