Universal Grimvalor (by Direlight Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redribbon, Oct 9, 2018.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's tough, don't worry. Like, TOUGH tough.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #22 psj3809, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Oozes quality. Just done the initial tutorial. I know I’m going to love this !

Edit - A few levels in and its great, very polished, total quality game so far

3. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    It is tough. Oh yeah you are going to love it. Although i can not tell you how long it takes to finish it since i have not finished it yet

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #24 Pitta, Oct 10, 2018
    You completed Oddmar in half an hour???
    Woah, must be a world record!!! Took me several hours to fully complete it, congrats!!!

For what is worth, I fully completed Grimvalor in 22 hours, and it took around 18 (can’t really remember) to see the ending.

(Image edited to avoid spoilers)

[​IMG]

I highly recommend to fully 100% it, you can see some sections only doing so and trying to do so gives you powers and weapons that will make your life easier later on.
    Game can be pretty brutal, expecially bosses (which are a lot).
    (I also recommend to fully 3 star Oddmar, I would say that levels fundamentally change in gameplay depending on which mission you are going to star).

It’s an awesome game, basically Swordigo meets Dark Souls with an emphasis on action (but good luck exploring to 100% it).
    It’s super polished and buttery smooth on latest devices (played on iPhone X, was blown away).
    Currently my GOTY.

Lull4by, Gwarmaxx and ramzarules like this.
  5. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    well, i missed the preorder price cut (i am against preorders in principle) but on the plus side, i am giving more money to an awesome game and developer :)
    Will finish it just in time for Stardew Valley ;)

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I dont get why people 'speed rush' to complete games, eg Oddmar in '30 minutes' ?

When i buy a game i take my time with it, look at the amazing graphics or backgrounds etc, bit of exploration. I dont worry for any speed runs just enjoy the game and play it in a relaxing way !

Very good game so far though. Some quality games coming out next few weeks as well

lezrock and stubbieoz like this.
  7. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    A few minutes in and i am LOVING it!
    Imagine a mix of Diablo-esque music, Souls-like setting, and Shadow Blade combat.
    The previous time i was so happy with a purchase was Wonder Blade.

Also, question / semi-spoiler

is it possible to beat the Slayer, and does anything change? I got one shotted by his ultra mega sword ground slam.

8. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    So the combat is fast paced action platform then?
    If thats the case then obvious question is how are the touch controls?
    I personally don’t like that sort of game (I’m getting old and my reflexes are slowing down somewhat these days) but if the touch controls work really responsively it might make me purchase.
    Thanks.

9. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Mfi = bought! :)

10. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    touch controls are instant responsive. When you get the dodge timing you will be moving like water around the enemies trying to hit you, while the jump button allows you to hop, jump, and double jump controlling every second of it.
    The only thing i would wish for is customisable button placement, although there are scale sliders.

stubbieoz likes this.
  11. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    Anyone know how to beat the hunters in the shattered rift? They keep regenerating.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    You haven’t beaten the actual hunter yet — those are his minions. You’ll see the actual hunter soon enough.

To answer a couple of questions:

1: I put about 14 hours into the beta and I’m still on chapter 4 of 5. And that’s with little grinding — the game is huge. (I took a bit of a break but I am planning to finish the game soon). The report of 18 hours to finish, 20+ to 100% sounds right, perhaps a little fast.

2: I am 51 and I usually find these kind of action games frustrating (even on consoles). Not Grimvalor. The controls are fantastic, and once you get the timing for dodges, it’s like magic. But here’s the thing: even poorly-timed dodges help you a bit, which encourages you to keep working at it until you master the move. And the special attack controls are simply brilliant.

3: Making your way through the levels is it’s own challenge. You get no damage from falls, but the platforming can still be tricky at times, and exploration is deeply rewarded: there is some choice loot at the end of tricky traversal sections, making the effort very much worth it.

4: This game has some of the best designed boss fights I’ve ever seen. There is one boss called the Executioner that took me 6 tries to beat, when I finally did, it was literally one the single most exhilarating moment I’ve had in gaming.

I could go on and on. Let me just finish by saying that Grimvalor brings together the best of console gaming (challenge, depth, visuals, animation) with the best of mobile gaming (accessibility, mobile-friendly design) and created one of the best experiences I’ve had on any platform. If you enjoy action gaming, this is not to be missed.

13. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #33 Gambler, Oct 10, 2018
    Wow, this game is absolutely AMAZING!

Alas I had lost a lot of my year-long enthusiasm for mobile gaming as the release of decent premium stuff just has slowed down quite much lately (even in the adventure genre which has been bristling with regular new releases up until about a year ago).

In an environment like this, Grimvalor is an absolute godsend! The game hits every right button, polished, beautiful optics, excellent, varied, challenging gameplay, cool story, smooth controls including mfi support, long overall playing time, all in all just insanely good production value for the meager price of $5.99!

Can’t remember the last time I was this excited about a new iOS release - One, if not the best, hack’n’slash title I ever played on mobile!

Everybody who is on the fence about this game and even remotely likes the genre - This is a must-buy :)

drunk_vader likes this.
  14. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Mfi works great. Could be nice to have the move on the cross :)

Taeles likes this.
  15. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #35 Gwarmaxx, Oct 10, 2018
    thanks guys, sold!

hey psj, you know me, i'm an old school gamer, not a hardcore "speed rush" kind of guy... now, IMHO Oddmar is a graphical masterbation and nothing more, too linear and without any challenge, i hate that kind of games, couldn't care less about grafx (in fact i still play daily old tough games in that bunch of emulators on iOS), i need challenge in a game... but hey, like i said, it's all a matter of taste.

back to the topic, i'm going to buy Grimvalor, seems to be really good and from what i see here,
    it has a lot in common with masterpieces of playability like Swordigo and Icey, which i loved a lot.

16. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Both my Steelseries Nimbus and my Gamevice work fine with this game :)

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah good point, i do ilke my old skool platformers good graphics or not.

Playing more Grimvalor at lunchtime, loving it still. I was always gutted there wasnt a Swordigo II but i'm happy as hell with this one. So far just the right level of difficulty, not too easy and not too frustrating

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Let me add one more thing: the more you play, the better you’ll get at the game (obviously) and the easier time you’ll have with the regular minions. What makes Grimvalor special is that totally destroying your enemies is actually a blast — it makes you feel like the baddest bad ass.

But don’t worry: the game will keeps coming up with new challenges to keep you on your toes.

drunk_vader, raravan and Gwarmaxx like this.
  19. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #39 ramzarules, Oct 10, 2018
    ok stupid question : how do i enable icloud saves on my iphone ios 11? i want to sync it with my ipad which is ios 10, but logging on/ off the itunes account doesnt seem to work on the ios 11 as icloud. Help?
    EDIT: DIsregard, it worked and synced.

20. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Stop reading the forums and go buy it ya cheap bastard.