Universal Grimvalor (by Direlight Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redribbon, Oct 9, 2018.

1. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    CAN YOU TRAIN FOR A NOTHING BUT DASH RUN, WHERE YOU LITERALLY COMPLETE THE ENTIRE GAME WITHOUT TOUCHING THE GROUND?! I DID IT ALREADY....%120 COMPLETION RATE. IN 5 MINUTES.

sebgo likes this.
  2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    The only Dark Souls comparisons I've seen have been based on aesthetics, I don't think anyone would mistake the gameplay between the two.

3. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    I've read multiple reviews calling this the "dark souls of mobile" not from TA mind you, guess I should clarify that I havent seen it much here, but else where it seems as such.... .

4. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016

would you feel the dead cells comparison is fair? or naw? Im really wanting someone to level with me on this....lol

5. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I wonder how accurate that ingame time keeper really is? I should do a test.
    I just checked and it says I’ve only played for around 6 hours. I could have swore it took me at least three hours to sort out that Siege boss. (it’s a wonder my iPad didnt get a cracked screen from my ferocious tapping on the dash button) :confused:
    And I am a completionist by nature so getting that 100% in every area is almost mandatory for me.

I normally play turn based tactical rpg’s simply because my hand arthritis prevents me from playing on a gamepad for long. :(
    Hence I suck at platform games and tend to steer well clear of them.
    Lucky for me the touch controls in this game are pretty much spot on. It would probably be the best platform game I have installed on my iPad.

My only gripe would be the fact you cannot position the three action buttons seperately. I would much prefer the jump button to be where the dash button is, and vice-versa, but thats just a personal preference. :)

6. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Arthritis sure sounds harsh :(

I heard good about touch controls there from others and from you now, at least theres that, honestly when a game is MFi supported I tend to not use touchscreen much unless its turn based...

You should send the suggestion you have there to the devs, im pretty sure that allowing to customize button placement isnt that hard to implement, if theres demand for it they might just put it there in an update !

With the tweakable stats and all I can see this game getting good enough replayability :)

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    There’s a
    To me, there’s a lot of inspiration from Dark Souls in it. The central hub that connects to the different regions and where the npc characters show up, the statues (bonfires) where you can rest and level up, the dodge/roll mechanic with its invincibility frames, the dark and morbid atmosphere, the upgrading of you healing flask, collecting souls/soul shards to level up or trade with, the reappearing enemies, the soul energy to pull special moves, the light/medium/heavy weapon classes, just to name a few examples. Yeah, it’s still mostly a Metrovania game, but it takes inspirations from different games as well. To me, it also has a strong Souls vibe, because of lots of elements they share.

8. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Go to the siegebreaker, he is just a matter od pattern learn and dodge to his back. Come back to shattered rift with an Act2 weapon :)

9. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Does someone know what to do with the « slashing/jumping » orbs in the upper part of east garrison?

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Leads to a chest/loot area, if I remember correctly

11. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks dude!

sakara214ever and ramzarules like this.
  12. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    #112 Verse, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Question withdrawn.

13. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Thanks for your feedback but i m very surprised as i did not spot anything after going there ... i went by the back side tho... maybe thats why

14. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    Keep trying, im pretty sure that where the charred great axe is at.

15. Darkfyra

Darkfyra Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2017
    How much could I enjoy the game if my experience are the Diablo trilogy,many Diablo like,Tales of because the comparison to Dark Souls feel intimidating.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If you enjoy action platformers like Castlevania or Metroid, you’ll have a good time. As other people have mentioned, the comparisons with DS are overblown. This is a challenging but well balanced game.

17. DanF

DanF Member

May 25, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    I'm having similar problems here. This and the final boss are about all I have left to finish at 100% .

I was a huge fan of Swordigo and always wanted a sequel. This is apparently it ;)

18. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    There are a few spots in act 1 that look like they need a triple jump or something to be able to get to a secret.

There.arent any yellow orbs or anything. I got the teleport trinket thinking that might do it, but that only teleports you to the closes enemy.

So I don't obsess too much over unclaimed loot in hear places, are there any more kind of mobility power ups, or moves that give you more access? I already have the four directions of charged attacks. (Just a little into act III) thanks!

19. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #119 ramzarules, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    protip for the light bulbs: hit the with a sword, the attack arc is much wider. i was using gloves and failing every time, i equipped the starter sword and passed that on the first try

Surprisingly, the first two bosses of act v are the worst bosses in the game so far. One is a snorefest and the other is just annoying with the bullet hell section. I hope the last boss will be at least in par with the Slayer (best bossfighta in the game) in my opinion.

EDIT: this was the final boss? disappointed. Had a blast act1-4, act 5 was a letdown after all this excellence. Still, my Goty along with Wonderblade. Go for grimvalor2 guys!

20. IggyZX_

IggyZX_ Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Male
    I think that the overall atmosphere and storyline is quite reminiscent of Souls series. Gameplay on the other hand has nothing to do with those games.

Just wanted to chime in and say that I've managed to finish the game in 9,5 hours. 100%-ed 3/5 chapters. The final boss fight is super intense, I LOVED IT! Really kept me on my toes and super focused during the entire fight.

I thought that I won't find better games than Oddmar and Wonder Blade this year, but this is my GOTY thus far. The atmosphere, the gameplay, everything is superbly designed. Controls are among the best ever in a mobile game.

Fixing a few small things would make this game even better:

- adding possibility to salvage old equipment for shards (not like I needed any more but could make old/unused weapons at least useful in some way instead of them just sitting there in your inventory)
    - adding even more items (weapons and armors)
    - adding new game+

pathogen541 likes this.