Universal Grimvalor (by Direlight Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redribbon, Oct 9, 2018.

1. TouchiMedia

TouchiMedia Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    This is one of the best games I’ve played on iOS. Really solid mechanics, tight controls even with touch.. great graphics and details. Love the physics/ragdolls!

2. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    #62 chief78, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Wow started this last night and am totally hooked. The story and world are actually pretty cool and the levels are larger than they appear, with multiple levels in the background and a camera that pans slowly as you progress forward or back. The gear aspect is always welcome, and character leveling is icing. This game is an easy recommendation.

EDIT: Commenting on the awesome controls would be redundant at this point But I have to agree, this is one of the very few games I’ve downloaded and not been disappointed with lately. Devs, I hope there’s some extra content we can pay for down the road

lezrock and drunk_vader like this.
  3. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Definitely not a pushover in the difficultly aspect. You have to be pretty darn fast with your dashes and attacks and jumps. And when, in certain instances, you’re being hunted, there are a ton of enemies that just keep spawning until you eventually kill a huge sheilded brute. And some of the boss fights have been not overly hard, but you have to once again time your dashes and attacks etc.

drunk_vader and Gwarmaxx like this.
  4. Procco

Procco New Member

Nov 25, 2016
    This game is fantastic (as everyone else has already said)! The controls are unbelievably tight. Kudos to the dev team!

drunk_vader likes this.
  5. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Just to sing in the same chorus...

A BIG phenomenal WOW to this brilliant pearl and my GOTY contender. Never been that easy for me!

Congrats Devs!

PS: *cough* now i‘m expecting Swordigo II *cough*

drunk_vader and brando like this.
  6. drunk_vader

drunk_vader Active Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Barista
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I honestly hope that the developers will earn more than enough $ to not just continue supporting the game but to make a sequel to this masterpiece of a (mobile) game. I feel like praises are not enough - will do my best to share it on Twitter, Facebook and other social media channels.

Hopefully it'll get featured soon by Apple on the front page of the AppStore.

7. WjndWalk3r

WjndWalk3r Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    lol the hunted system is so smart xD i was so scare of invasion system in darksoul lol xD

8. scottsoapbox

scottsoapbox Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

#68 scottsoapbox, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    How do you fast travel? It shows the map but touching anything just exits the map.

EDIT: You select where to fast travel to on the obelisk but to go there you run out of the sides of that area. So I guess the nexus is moving around the map instead of the typical you are stepping through a gateway. Not very intuitive.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There are specific points you can travel to and from. Each node has the gate, the merchant, and the forge (as well as the mysterious white-haired woman). Once you open a node, it will be marked on the map.

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #70 Vovin, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    I could post a lenghty description now but this might be even better. But it is important to get (dash) away as far as possible when the slayer announces this move (he’s growling in a special way) and jump the second he slams his sword on the ground. Be sure not to get cornered. That is the most secure way to get out of range of his special move. But this move isn‘t the most dangerous. The spin attack is more dangerous, because it can catch you at the end of your invincibility frames and works in front and behind him, especially in his second phase, when he becomes much faster.

11. duxter90

duxter90 Active Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Has anyone played on iphone 6? I would like to try it...

12. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    How is the battery drain? Thanks!

13. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    what about the replayability ?

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It’s an 18-20 hour game for less than $10. Is replayability really the thing that will convince you to buy it?

In any event, the maps are handcrafted, so they do not change. Enemies are somewhat randomized, so a second playthrough will be a bit different. And frankly, it’s such a big game that it’s hard to remembered the beginning after 14 hours. I should add that you can choose how you allocate skill points, so you do get to shape your character to some degree. Also, there are multiple weapons classes that can be used as either primaries or secondaries. Different choices may lead to somewhat different experiences. (And, of course, you can play as either male or female, though the effects are only aesthetic).

If I remember correctly, there are no difficulty options. I could see the dev adding a new game + in the future, perhaps with additional difficulties. Regardless, Grimvalor is well worth buying now, as is.

15. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    If it helps I played on an iPhone 6 plus and it plays as smooth as silk.

16. aussiepaul

aussiepaul Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2013
    iPhone 6s and SE, excellent :)

17. duxter90

duxter90 Active Member

Feb 27, 2017
  18. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    finally finished the game yesterday and it took me less then 15 hours. easily the best hack and slash action adventure on mobile right now.
    here is the final boss battle, maybe some of you guys are interested to watch:

CrayonWarrior likes this.
  19. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    There is no way I’m going to finish this game in 15 hours. I’m sure I’m passed that and I’m only at chapter two lol.
    And as much as I want to.....I am not tapping on the play button.

20. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Masterful. This was how my second slayer encounter went - the dodge can work if you jump-dodge when he brings the sword down.

My THIRD encounter, this was going very nicely, almost full health until i get there ( took some spider hits on the way) and i am getting him down, he summons the next one, and they BOTH do the ground slam so i dodge one and fall into the instakill of the second. Now i know i must lure them both to one corner to dodge both.

WHAT -A - GAME! i am seriously happy i gave them 2 euros more instead of the preorder discount :)