Universal Grimvalor (by Direlight Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redribbon, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Ok finally defeated the end boss, but just didn’t finish that red globule path that was talked about a page or two ago. That was just sadistic, I’m giving up on that. Don’t need the 100% more than my sanity.

For sure my game of the year! I can’t wait for the next game from these folks. Please keep them coming!

2. baconbits

baconbits New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Thanks!! that's exactly it. not sure how i got this far without realizing that.

Psac42 likes this.
  3. sleepmeower

sleepmeower New Member

Feb 26, 2019
    Female
    I just started trying it today, and I can't get past The Executioner. Just fire itself hurts so much, even with armor and the fire effigy trinket, so I don't know if I'll be able to fight later bosses. Which brings up another problem: trying to figure out which trinket to equip, and when, then remembering to switch them for each scenario.

Thankfully I got the no damage guardian achievement from one of the slayer stages, but only because it took me so long to beat the tutorial boss the first time. :(

moshgra likes this.
  4. User58394

User58394 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    #184 User58394, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Dragonbane

For people that have defeated Slayer during the tutorial, how useful is Dragonbane?

I was able to beat Ancient Beast lvl. 1 with level 2 gauntlets; the strategy is to get onto section that has the shrine, then wait at the leftmost part next to the gap until a lizard spawns there, then dash to the shrine and wait for the second lizard spawn. Jump up then make your way to Ancient beast, then duel him until there are too many lizard lackeys, then repeat the spawning thing. The lizards around ancient beast should despawn. This lets you fight a fair 1v2 or 3 instead of just getting clawed by 30 lizards.

Fighting airborne units: if you land a hit on an enemy while you are midair, you can jump again.

For the treasure chests that require hitting grappling orbs where you are in your jump arch matters. If you hit it while you are still going up in your jump, you get more air; if you are falling when you hit it, you get less air. Found it to be easier with light swords as well.

If using dragonbane or axes, the third hit of the ground combo locks you out from actions like dodging for a brief period. You can counteract this using jump attack after the second ground combo hit.

Alyssia level 1 is not fun; the air portion is simply frustrating. She can one shot you with the spreadshot attack, the platforms are only reachable for like a quarter of its cycle where it hovers up and down, the dodging is inconsistent with the balls because you can't dodge when she is about to throw them, only after so if you're too close it's literally undodgable, and ecen if you dodge one ball, you are still vulnerable to the others. It is so frustrating to have to dodge one of her attacks then realize you have to wait another hour just for all of the platforms align perfectly so that you actually double jump dash onto a platform, only to get obliterated by her clones that just fire at you non stop. Also, multiple times have occured where she does the teleport-dash and dodging just does not work properly. Quite a few times where her jab attack just doesn't activate your dodge, especially after she turns halfway through the battle.

Having gotten to the end with mostly gauntlets and light swords, I have to admit that using heavy weapons for a light attack is just utterly pointless. I'm certain that the light weapons do more dps and require less skill because you don't need to constantly jump to cancel the third combo attack. For a move with such high risk, there is very little benefit to using it.

5. User58394

User58394 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    #185 User58394, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Finally got through level 1 run. Here are some combat and boss tips:

Combat
    Boss' yellow health bar
    Bosses have a yellow overlay on their health bar. From what I can tell, this doesn't affect the damage you to their red health bar. Once the yellow bar depletes, the boss is vulnerable to knockdowns from attacks such as heavy attacks (dragging the attack button). This knocks the enemy down, allowing you to pummel them until they recover and regain their yellow overlay. When the yellow overlay is depleted, the text will say 'break'.

Invincibility
    Dodging is when the character rolls to avoid the enemy attack, while granting a bit of invincibility. Dodging or dashing can only occur after a light attack lands, so keep this mind when it seems like dodging fails. Power attacks also grant invincibility during the charging/attacking portion, but not after the attack.

Weapons
    Three categories of weapons: gauntlets, light weapons and heavy weapons.
    Gauntlets and light weapons can continuously attack when holding the attack buttons. However, the heavy weapon does a three hit combo. During the third hit, the user leaps then smashes the weapon. This third hit can knock some enemies down, and even knock some bosses down when their yellow armor is broken, but the user is locked out of all actions during this attack. This means that the third attack should often be avoided, which is done by jumping after doing the second attack. The user can then continuously attack by attacking in midair, returning to the ground, then repeating the attacks. This allows for dodging at any point during this sequence of attacks.

It's much easier to just use gauntlets/light weapons for the light attack, and use heavy weapons for heavy attacks. The only time one would need a different heavy attack is equipping gauntlets for the upwards heavy attack to gain altitude for grabbing lootpiles or treasure.

Weapon summary:
    Heavy weapon's third ground attack locks user out of actions, avoid by using jumping attack instead of third ground attack.
    Sequence looks like: ground attack, ground attack, jump attack, repeat.
    Use gauntlet or light weapon for the light attack slot, use heavy weapon for heavy attack slot.

Witch's watch
    Witch's watch slows down time when dodging. This trinket allows you to attack enemies aggressively between their attacks and allows you to dodge successive attacks much easier, and makes a level 1 run actually bearable to play. Definitely look for this trinket and equip it all times unless equipping fire resistance or moonlight rosary trinket to regenerate energy at rest shrines.

Prologue
    Slayer:
    Spin attack - this attack tracks which side you are on unless you dodge, so look to dodge slightly later to avoid missing the dodge
    Ground slam - Slayer raises sword for 1-2 seconds, then slams down; this attack can actually hit the air, even behind the boss so to avoid it you have to either dash outside the width of the attack, or you can actually dodge it if you are in front of the boss. Dodge timing occurs somewhere around the time that the Slayer sword starts moving downwards.

Slayer drops heavy weapon Dragonbane.

Act I
    Ancient Beast: If you really want to kill him before moving on, use Dragonbane for most damage per hit. Stay at the ledge to the left of where ancient beast is. Dash through the air and aerial attack him once from the right, then dash left and hop back onto the ledge. Repeat until it dies. If lizards start spawning on your ledge, bait them off the ledge. This is very difficult, but gets much easier if you come back after you get gauntlets from Act II. With gauntlets, you can just keep dueling the ancient beast, then flee to the left past the cage and the gap. Once lizards spawn here, go back to the ancient beast and the lizards should despawn, allowing you to duel him again. He drops a Moonlight Rosary.

Corrupted Sentinel: Heavy weapons seem to stagger him.
    Running attack: He will barrel towards one side, dealing damage to his minions as well as you. Try to avoid getting hit by dodging after every attack that you do.

Soul of the depths & Spirit of the depths: Has no armor, so just charge attack then hack away.

Gorlag the bloodbound: Same as above, but you can also break his shield.

Siege Breaker: Has dangerous ground immolation attack that is often followed by a flying hook attack. It is easier to just jump out of the hook on the returning portion, rather than trying to dodge it.

Act V
    Archmage Cromwell:
    Kind of frustrating because if you die, you have to walk through a few levels to get back to him.
    Energy is not greatly beneficial, so no need to keep replenishing energy between tries. Furnace effigy is beneficial during the second phase of Cromwell.

First phase:
    Ground or aerial swipe - These can be dodged, but the timing is a bit strange. Dodging registers better if you are slightly early than slightly later. His swiping hand and his other hand are vulnerable, but it is very difficult to attack so don't bother.

One sided flame attack - Cromwell breathes fire on one side of the screen. Dash to the other side to attack the outstretched arm.

Ground pound - Cromwell raises his fists for 1-2 seconds, then slams down. Thankfully, the dodge timing is very forgiving so you can actually dodge very early. Here, witch's watch is great because if you dodge too early, you can dodge again to try to maximize the attacking you do once Cromwell's fists are on the ground. Make sure you are directly under his fists though or else the dodge might not register, leaving you vulnerable.

Second phase:
    Ground flame attack - Cromwell breathes fire across the entire ground. This can dodged by double jumping towards the sides of the map. This attack can be difficult to avoid, so swapping Witch's Watch to Furnace Effigy is a great choice here.

Alyssia:

There are two main phases, ground and aerial phases. Halfway through, Alyssia changes and gains more damage, and gains a modified ground weapon slam, as well as a modified aerial firing attack.

Notable ground phase attacks:
    Stab: This attack is very quick and dodging occasionally does not register. She often follows this up with either a ground slam or another stab.
    Ground slam: Same as most of her other attacks. When Alyssia changes halfway through the battle, this attack sometimes sends a wave of energy towards you. If Alyssia does this special ground slam after her change, she will immediately attack again, so look to dodge early after the special ground slam.
    Spear dash: Alyssia turns into a spear and dashes to a direction. Dodging in the same direction that the spear goes can be risky because the dodge timing is strange. It is best to do a short dodge to the opposite direction, then chase her.

Aerial phase:
    Very difficult and frustrating because of moving platforms and punishing nature of the orbs that Alyssia and her clones fire. For all aerial phases, the maps are the same but get mirrored after the aerial phase. There will be one side of the map that is more available to ascend because of the extra platform. Once you are above the ground, you will find that opposite side also has extra platforms to ascend even higher. This means that the easiest path is to zig-zag between the edges of the map if the closest ledges are not close enough to jump to yet.

The energy ball attack is very punishing because it will knock you down and can completely kill you if you fall onto the other balls. When dodging, the later portion of your dodge is still vulnerable to other energy balls, so look to dodge away from the attack rather than towards.

Here you will often have 2-3 clones, and Alyssia herself. Alyssia drops to the ground once her yellow armor is broken, and it's much easier to do so when there is at most only 1 clone left. Alyssia will do the exact same attack pattern, before dashing to another platform. It is helpful to chase her quickly to prevent Alyssia from throwing energy balls.

For level walkthroughs and loot finding, I found this walkthrough from IWalkthroughHD helpful.

Makara Nou and raravan like this.
  6. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Is it possible to kill the hunters in the shattered rift or are they infinite? So far I kill one and another appears...

7. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    From what I remember you have to kill the boss, I think there’s an area right at the end you have to jump up to

8. sleepmeower

sleepmeower New Member

Feb 26, 2019
    Female
    I had a tough time with this, too. But I just uploaded one...
    I had a light sword and gauntlets equipped, because I found axes too heavy for her to get the air she needed.

Anyone complete the level 1 run? I’m at the end of Act III now, but I can’t get through the maze of spiders without dying. She’s so squishy at level 1. Trying to complete this run gives me a new appreciation for trinkets.

9. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    It’s on discount for $1.99 which is the lowest price yet. If there’s anyone out there who missed it in the past or was hesitant to grab it, it’s not gonna get any better than this. Just go for it.

10. EmilianoDTH

EmilianoDTH Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Male
    Is the dev preparing a new Act for this game or something ?

11. Not as beautiful as Oddmar. But it could be better than Icey.

12. DirelightTuomas

Jul 3, 2018
    Hi again everybody! We've been quietly working on a big update to Grimvalor for quite a while now, and would once again need your help bringing it to final polish.

One of the major features is localization to a large number of different languages, and so we are now looking for one or two native or fluent speakers to do a surface-level sanity check for each language.

The languages we are localizing for are:
    -Chinese (Simplified)
    -Japanese
    -Portuguese
    -German
    -Spanish
    -Italian
    -French
    -Russian

After any amount of testing you would like to do, we'd want you to fill out a short questionnaire about the translation.

A few people have been asking about a new Act to the game, but we'll do one better. In addition to translations, the test build contains a New Game+ game mode. All localization testers will get exclusive early access to this mode, so you would be the first to play it! The NG+ mode includes some surprises and even more challenge. :)

You can contact us here on the toucharcade forums or via our contact email [email protected] to sign up as a tester.

raravan and stubbieoz like this.
  13. Hi, will it be a complete new beta build? Or will it replace the current one that I installed on my device ?

DirelightTuomas likes this.
  14. DirelightTuomas

Jul 3, 2018
    A great question! This build will replace the previous one you have on your device. We will be distributing it through Testflight.

We have tested this build quite a lot and it should work with existing saves pretty well. However it is a beta build. There is a known issue is that going back to the official old version will erase your NG+ progress. Even launching the game on an another device that has the older version will synchronize the NG+ progress erasure to all devices. These are issues that will be fixed for the release of course. We will give detailed instructions to anybody signing up to be a tester.

So basically.. it's a beta, please treat it as such. :)

Makara Nou likes this.
  15. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    I’m in for beta tester.

16. Rohit Bhatia

Rohit Bhatia Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Male
    Youtube
    India
    What about Android version?

17. DirelightTuomas

Jul 3, 2018
    Android and iOS versions will be updated most likely at the same time. No big delays on Android this time. Beta is unfortunately for iOS only due to it being much easier to manage for us. :)

Rohit Bhatia likes this.
  18. Rohit Bhatia

Rohit Bhatia Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Male
    Youtube
    India
    No worries man, keep up the good work ☺️

19. Efgen

Efgen New Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Male