Grimnight Heroes - 16 Bit Fantasy Action Roguelike

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by breban1, May 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Honestly, I think having different stat caps between characters would provide more diversity for characters, hence more replayability.

Having cap for stats would provide you with more option when designing new characters in the future.

Moreover, multiple non offensive passive with upgrades for each character would add even more variety and longevity to the game.

As of you thinking people would feel cheated because of stat caps for unlockable characters, I don’t think it would be the case with your game since characters aren’t locked behind a paywall.

If you are so concerned, you may provide the description of characters.

2. breban1

breban1 Well-Known Member

I agree that this would allow for more variety/specialization rather than allowing "maxed" stats for the unlockable Heroes. The problem is, this is opening a can of worms because I have already balanced all of the stages along with the unlockable game modes (extreme/insane) assuming players would eventually be maxed out. Now look what you've done!

If I could get some more feedback from others, that would help make the decision easier. In the meantime, I will try to make some adjustments and "shelve" them so they are ready to go if I decide to go that route.

That sounds really cool and will give it some thought! Unfortunately with only a week before launch it will have to wait for now.

Can you explain what you are asking? Sorry, I'm just not understanding.

If I make any of these changes, I will have to push the release out at least a week :(

3. breban1

I'm making the changes as we speak. This would allow for more expansion for sure, especially if I increase the # of upgrades per attribute. So far it's feeling pretty good.

Would you want to give the game a try on iOS? I can set up a Testflight account for you. PM me if so.

Once I get some feedback on difficulty, I think delaying release a little bit and starting a Beta test might be the way to go here.

4. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    The description I meant is something as simple as

William 5/5/5 (health/damage/speed)
    Shade 4/5/6
    Samson /7/6/3

5. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    #25 Jstorm, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
    I think the only thing that might trigger players would be releasing the game with unlockable characters with maxed out stats and then reducing them.

I understand it’s a week before release. You can add stuff as post release contents.

I can help with the beta test.

6. breban1

Gotcha.

The max attribute in the game is currently 10 (health/damage/speed):
    William starts 3/3/4, ends 8/7/6
    Shade starts 4/4/6, ends 10/10/10
    Samson starts 6/5/5 ends 10/10/10

Based on the suggestions you made, I bumped up the max attribute to 15 so I have some more room to expand with new Heroes. Here are the current starting/ending attributes:
    William starts 5/5/6, ends 11/9/9
    Shade starts6/6/9, ends 11/10/13
    Samson starts9/7/7, ends 13/12/11

The starting values are still about the same base % that they were before the change, but the maxes have changed to be more unique per hero.

I do want to mention that although there isn't a paywall, players can choose to unlock the last 2 Heroes with IAP instead of "grinding" for coins.

Jstorm likes this.
  7. breban1

Send me PM

8. breban1

Just added a bunch of Quests into the game! Quests give coin rewards when complete.

[​IMG]

Could use one more! If you are interested please send me a PM :)

Jstorm and AltsKev like this.
  9. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
    I think putting numbers to the character stats would help with showing who's better at doing what. I also think passive abilities would be cool too.

I'm not sure if you have to delay the game to add these things. Adding them after release and building upon the base game would let people know that you are an active developers and intend to support the game.

10. breban1

Delaying the game just a little bit will allow me to make adjustments based on the limited beta feedback. I promise not to delay further unless something *catastrophic* happens!

I may even add another level with the extra time. I always thought 3 seemed a little light. We'll see!

11. breban1

Sorry, I commented your 2nd question, but not your first.

I'm giving some thought about showing the numbers 6/10, 12/15, etc... but it may get a big crowded on the screen. I think I'm going to see how players react to the graphical bars on release and adjust if necessary.

Actually there are passive abilities already :) The "default" Hero doesn't have one, but the unlockables do. Shade has "Orbital Attack", and Samson has "Reborn". One is offensive, the other is non-offensive (basically a 2nd life).

Thanks for your comments!

12. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    #32 solarnya, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
    I bought full IAPs of Gothic Survival(VS like game) and fond of that.

I'm looking forward to this one as well.

wait... no Japanese release?
    many games out here in English so no worries I guess however...

Lull4by likes this.
  13. breban1

Thanks so much! Working hard to making it the best game possible :)

If English is accepted there, then there will be a Japanese release but it will come after the US release most likely.

14. breban1

Hey TA!

Just wrapping up a new stage and thought I'd share a quick .gif! It's called "The Underworld". The final boss is being worked on as we speak!

[​IMG]

For some reason, I'm seeing a broken link for the .gif so here are a couple pics until I figure that out!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Please consider pre-ordering because there's more to come, I promise! Thanks TA!

iOS: USA/Canada
    App Store

Android: USA/Canada
    Google Play Store

sebgo likes this.
  15. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

#35 sebgo, May 28, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
    45095AA0-464A-43AA-9E6C-0B4CD96D15C4.gif 635CB3A9-5174-49FE-9AB6-E6D0745938E1.gif

breban1 likes this.
  16. Hulkino

Hulkino Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Is an european release planned?

17. breban1

Thanks for your interest!

Yes, I do plan on releasing to Europe. It will most likely be after the US/Canada release as I have to finalize all the text before translation.

I'm also trying to get a feel for which Nations are okay with English-only mobile games. If you have any insight, feel free to share!

18. Hulkino

Hulkino Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Perfect!
    Usually here in Italy english-only games are often seen not too well but that doesn’t mean they don’t work or they cannot spread across the country. Usually it depends on the game itself, i.e. if it’s action oriented or based on many sentences, words and those kind of things.
    If you will be looking for some TestFlight testing please let me know!

19. breban1

Understood! I will definitely give it thought before release to Italy :)

I am not currently in need of testers, but PM me so I can contact you if that changes.

Thanks again!

20. breban1

Greetings TA!

I made some improvements to the game and thought I would share!

Heroes can now bring a "Tome" along with them each run that will give special abilities. Tomes are unlocked by using treasure found while playing.

Here's a screenshot with some Tomes currently in the game. (Up to 9 now, but adding more as we speak!)

[​IMG]

With that said...

In my quest to create the best game possible, I am delaying the game a couple more weeks. I *really* want to make this game special.

Please consider pre-ordering because there's more to come, I promise! Thanks TA!

iOS: USA/Canada
    App Store

Android: USA/Canada
    Google Play Store