Universal Grim Fandango Remastered (by Double Fine Productions, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by klink, May 5, 2015.

1. englandfoxi

englandfoxi Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Correct me if I wrong.No OpoenGL ES3.0 support in iphone 5 is main problem for Grim Fandango to be play on.
    Or can we expect in future update iphone 5 support?

2. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Some of these puzzles are ridiculously hard lol.. Had to refer to walkthrough which I didn't want to do ##

3. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Yeah, at this point I almost always have to refer to a walkthrough.. Some of these puzzles are extremely difficult to figure out.. It's sucking the fun out of the game for me.. ####

4. I think I just miss the eyeball from Broken Age that shows you interactive spots. Maybe I'm a lazy gamer, but I hate pixel hunting to make sure I didn't miss an interactive spot on the screen. :p

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Spoiled.
    By.
    Mobile.
    Games.

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This.
    Guy.
    Gets.
    It.

:p

7. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    It is a challenging game. When it was released I got stuck for months. I finally broke down and found a faq for it. Side note are faq still a thing?

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ha ha yeah its funny how gamers are spoilt now

Lets go back to the 80's. As a 14 year old kid most decent games had a £7.95 price tag so thats about $12 each. Pocket money i got a few dollars a week so it would take about a month to save up for the game

When the game was loaded you wrote down your high score (if you were bothered) and turned off your computer once you had finished playing so your score was 'lost'.

Nowadays if a game doesnt have MFI controllers, game centre, doesnt have hand holding so you coul complete it in 2 hours, is 99c or isnt free then a lot of gamers start moaning.

I dont see the issue here, this game is hard, its a 'proper' old skool game where you wouldnt complete it in 2 hours. Nowadays you have youtube to go through the walkthrough so if youre stuck take a look. Back in the early 90's you had to wait for next month to perhaps get tips etc.

Kids moan when a games too quick and they 'only' get 4 hours gameplay from their 99c game, they moan when a games too difficult !

Granted this games dearer but its a classic, get stuck - look on youtube

9. Wanting to be able to see where hotspots are is not the same as wanting the answers given to you. Games like Broken Sword had those from the beginning. I'm not saying the game *has* to have them. I just appreciated the option in Broken Age, so when you're not sure if you missed something, you can use that instead of going around in circles tapping on everything or looking at a walkthrough. I liked it there, and was kind of disappointed that the option's not available here.

We also don't have to wait a month for a new game these days -- so tapping every pixel to extend the game's playtime is not necessary.

10. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    I absolutely agree with AppUnwrapper.It IS annoying to tap everywhere like an idiot.And Manny tries to keep walking wherever i tap of course.There's just nothing to like about.One (more) reason why i want to see the damn controller support that all other versions have (while cost the same) :p

Great game nonetheless.I'm also looking into the walkthrough here and there but i don't care,there are man(n)y other aspects to enjoy as well.Story,athmosphere,characters,music...

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I've adapted and modernized. Right now my notes are on the iphone, but i use it pretty rarely. I still have MHFU alchemy notes on my phone :D

Back then i had a notebook with game notes that i bring with me to class, figure out puzzles from there. One title i wont forget is 7th Guest when it originally came out. I was bringing chessboards to school, scissors, pieces of cardboard, and other wacky stuff just to bring the puzzles to school and figure them out from there. :D

When i first played Grim Fandango we already had internet of the dial-up kind, so i wasnt able to finish it on my own even if i wanted to, coz all my friends who play it were talking about the game coz of the walkthroughs they found. :D

12. Crabman

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    When i bought it right after the first release i couldn't even get past the wood in year one.Had to wait a while (can't remember how long) until a walkthrough showed up somewhere.

13. TheGribble

TheGribble Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    You can hold and drag to find hotspots just like waving the mouse around.

14. Crabman

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Thanks for the tip,that helped!

15. traderjose

traderjose Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Battery life

Can anyone tell me how big a drain on battery life this is? Thanks.

16. alduinslayer

alduinslayer Active Member

Apr 8, 2015
    #176 alduinslayer, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    I need help

Good game

17. hincy89

hincy89 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2011
    About to buy this game but can't decide over iOS or vita any tried both?

From what I can tell the vita its controller style movement while iOS is more point and click style!

Which woulyou guys advise for this game?

18. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia

I don’t owned the Vita version
    But in my opinion i’ll get the ios version
    It’s kinda more stable platform...
    Dunno what will happen with Vita in a year or two
    Already sold mine a year ago

19. Sniper Caz

Sniper Caz Active Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Community Manager
    Vancouver, BC
    #179 Sniper Caz, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    I've been playing on on PC and it's great! You have the option for point n' click but also for using a controller. I find it more difficult with the controller because you can't hover over items to see if they are interactive or not - you know, the classic 'move your cursor over every pixel to see what you can touch' adventure game thing.

The story and characters are fantastic, a true classic. It can be difficult at times, but not in the way modern games are 'difficult'. This game REALLY makes you think sometimes about how to solve the next puzzle.

I almost forgot to mention! The developer Commentary is GREAT. I recommend turning it on even if you've never played the game before because it doesn't interrupt the play experience.

20. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    How does this play nowadays?

iPad Pro/6S Plus so should run great, yeah?