Universal Gridrunner [Llamasoft]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Feb 24, 2012.

1. scottish_usa

scottish_usa Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Great, and another iCade compat shooter to boot

Now we just need a remake of Sheep n Space or maybe C64 ROTMC.

2. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    +1! Tempest is the only reason I keep Atari Greatest Hits on my iPhone ;-)

3. frankthechicken

frankthechicken Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Yeah, my first choice would be Tempest, but didn't know whether Atari had more claim to the name than Jeff.

So I plumped for his later take on the game.

Love them all though. I was utterly hooked on Tempest when I was younger.

4. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Me too. Im still obsessed to this day. I got an atari jaguar with a custom tempest spinner controller. A guy custom altered the jag controller and put a ball bearing spinner on it. It's just like the arcade. Love it!

5. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    A tempest remake would be sweeeet

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Yeah, Tempest 2000 was great! ;)

7. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    This game is retarded good. Llamasoft continues to be my favorite app store developer. Wish he would explain more about it in the app description though, I had no idea about the superior expert controls until it was pointed out here.

8. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    I agree. This is their first game that is barebone in instructions. Still love it though

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #69 crunc, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    I switched to expert controls, thought they were worse, then thought they were better, then over the weekend I tried going back novice and did much better with novice controls and now I don't really see any reason why expert controls would be better. It's harder to control and gives no obvious benefit. Finally cracked 100k with novice controls, then got up to 130. Best I'd done with expert was about 80. YMMV.

I asked Minter on twitter about Tempest 2K and he made it pretty clear that this was impossible due to Atari having the rights and not ever giving them up. He said he would love to do it, but he can't. Oh well.

Anyway, this game is awesome. Two great high score games in one week. This and ZiGGURAT. Yeah!

10. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Thans for the info on Tempest. I googled Jeff Minter and found photo pages, quotes and interviews. Would love to meet him and share a pint sometime.

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I find the Vic-20 and C64 versions a lot harder to play. The main problem is I can't shoot individual segments easily due to not being able to control when you shoot. Also because those games start the level over when you die, unlike the updated game. Also for some reason they seem harder to control, but I can't put my finger on why. Anyway, I did manage to get over 50k on the vic-20 version, so got that achievement. I don't think I'll ever play that version again. LOL. I haven't gotten even close to 64k on the C64 version yet.

12. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Instead of Atari forcing developers to remove Apps if there is any resemblance to any of their back catalog they should redeem themselves... by asking Jeff Minter to do Tempest for the iPad. Now that would be pretty cool!

13. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Brilliant idea, sadly I fear too brilliant for Atari :p

14. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    #74 J.R. Jalapeno, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    [.

I asked Minter on twitter about Tempest 2K and he made it pretty clear that this was impossible due to Atari having the rights and not ever giving them up. He said he would love to do it, but he can't. Oh well.

Anyway, this game is awesome. Two great high score games in one week. This and ZiGGURAT. Yeah![/QUOTE]

Maybe he can just use tempest as a basic blueprint and make it different enough to keep Atari at bay. How did the dude who made space giraffe get the ok? Was it licensed by Atari?

15. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    Maybe he can just use tempest as a basic blueprint and make it different enough to keep Atari at bay. How did the dude who made space giraffe get the ok? Was it licensed by Atari? Sorry bout the double post.

16. frankthechicken

Jul 3, 2011
    At this moment I am insanely jealous, and need one right now.

I'm guessing Space Giraffe was sufficiently different to the original for him to release it, though I honestly have no idea. Especially given how aggressively Atari usually protects their trademarks.

Absolutely love the manicness of the game though.

And JR JalapeƱo, Jeff Minter made Space Giraffe (and Tempest 2k/3k).

17. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009

Well I think that Sapce Giraffe is developped AND published by Llamasoft itself, so that should be possible on IOS no?

18. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I don't see Space Giraffe working well on the iOS at all. Don't get me wrong it is an awesome game and all just not suited for touch screen controls on the iOS.

19. frankthechicken

Jul 3, 2011
    I was thinking Space Giraffe could work really well with tilt controls.

And even if you went touch, in all honesty the game is pretty similar to most Space Invader style games, so touch controls are not completely out of the range of possibility.

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I didn't care for Space Giraffe at all, so if it didn't show up I wouldn't sweat it. That game took eye exploding effects to the extreme. I could barely see what was going on. Then again if he toned the thing down it might be fun. :)