Universal GRID Autosport (By Feral Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Nov 24, 2017.

1. edddeduck_feral

edddeduck_feral Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2016
    If depends on your device, on the lower end devices you'll see the driver in your car but not all the other cars. For higher end devices the animation is visible for all drivers in all cars.

This is because we tune the game to look the best on every device while meeting our performance criteria. This means some graphics options are not enabled or run at lower settings on less powerful devices.

Thanks for the very useful extra detail, we'll pass that onto our team here for further testing.

2. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Hi guys, i'd just like to write a small post to thank Feral, especially Edwin and Ellie, for the super good supporting they did.

Thanks guys, not all AAA developpers take the time to give the after-launch support like you do, I hope that more developpers follow your example.

3. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Hi Ellie, how about us iPhone 8 Plus users, are we now invisible? Why no update to optimize this device? Our phones are also heating up like an oven when playing this game and causing the brightness to be permanently reduce. Aren’t we worth an update or is it now all about the iPhone X. Aren’t these devices supposed to be almost identical?

I dropped a comment here regarding the overheating and dimmed brightness issue we are having on the iPhone 8 Plus but it was completely ignored.

I hope Grid Autosport support isn’t going to be all about the iPhone X.

Thanks

4. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Thank you. I'm on a 6s Plus, so I'm just glad it works at all! The game is, by far, the best mobile game I've ever played, so if the cars have no drivers, that's a really small thing to me.

5. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Nimbus arrived yesterday, whole new level of awesome.

Depth for days, love it.

Could do with a bit of optimisation for the Pro 9.7 (latest iOS) though, frame rate is a little choppy when a lot of cars are on screen.

My solution? Lead the race ...

6. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Agreed. I get the “X” is the hot new toy but the 8 plus should also be considered for optimizing.

7. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    It’s absolutely amazing using a controller isn’t it, using the gamevice with my 6s it runs really really well, and if there are any unpleasant judders you can rewind! Game of the year on iOS for certain

8. ellie_feral

ellie_feral Well-Known Member

#348 ellie_feral, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Thank you for your kind words!

The optimisations and tuning we’ve done so far impact *all* devices, including the iPhone 8 Plus. We have heard from a number of customers, not just iPhone X users, that 1.2.1 has enhanced their experience.

We focussed on iPhone X in the release notes for 1.2.1. This is because we had received the highest volume of reports about performance issues from iPhone X users.

Our testers have been looking into your dimmed brightness issue but haven't been able to replicate it in 1.2.1. Do keep in mind the TouchArcade forums are not one of our official support channels. We've been trying our best to keep in touch with the community here, but to have your issue registered and counted you will need to contact our support team. If you still have performance issues on your iPhone 8 Plus after updating to 1.2.1, contact support using the in-game support option. If you include as much detail about the issue and what you’re doing when it occurs, that will be of great help to our support team and testers.

9. TheVimFuego

Dec 7, 2014
    Yeh, a big step up from the tilt (I hate tilt generally but this was usable if a little uncomfortable on a Pro for long races). Less said about my liking of the wheel the better ...

Given I’m a fan of racers (and games in general) it’s a wonder it’s taken me this long to get a controller.

Hardly scratched the surface so far but gradually upping the difficulty level. Top game, still can’t drift for sticky toffee. :eek:

10. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Thank you so much Ellie for your reply and sorry if I came across as aggressive and whiny in my initial post.

I was just a tad frustrated, looking into the release note on the AppStore and seeing only the iPhone X being mentioned.

I am glad to hear that this optimization includes the iPhone 8 Plus and will commence downloading the update today after work.

I would have gone for the iPhone X while getting my new iPhone but I simply refuse to use a phone with part of my screen view blocked by a notch.

Though I was just a bit afraid that developers would mainly focus on the iPhone X.

I am glad that it isn’t the case with Feral.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

11. ellie_feral

Thanks, we appreciate it. :) We're committed to continuously supporting GRID Autosport on all supported devices, including your iPhone 8 Plus.

12. GamerLife

GamerLife Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Technical support Apple
    Montreal, Canada
    #352 GamerLife, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    King of mobile racing for now....

Feral performed a miracle here. This game is no doubt, the best racing game that has ever touched a portable console. We’ll leave the karts To Mario...That being said, they are now the targets...in the sense that Nintendo Switch developers must be furious and they will undoubtedly try to dethrone this. Feral gave us what we were craving for, a real PC/PS3 game in the palm of your hands on a thin device. I’m not going to complain but I will point out the obvious. I am using an iPhone 7 Plus with the HD texture pack. The first build of the game was nice but lagged and stuttered sometimes. The device would overheat a lot too. Since the update, this game never lags. It looks so good when the FPS is up. Since the update, some textures on cars seem absent or non reflective/bland. This game is absolutely 10/10. I won’t demand anything from the brilliant people working behind this but I can express what I would love to see in this game. A FPS option between 30-45fps or 30-60fps or a v-sync option? Graphic settings like Grass details option and post-processing effects options ( motion blur?) This could be dubbed the developers graphics menu. A bit more details inside of the car (it’s extra low res), drivers (not animated) in all cars on i7 plus. A online and local multiplayer ( with low battery graphics mode to keep fps smooth) and the ability to play music in the background while playing. Haha:D I looooooove this game so much

13. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Thanks for the help, this and a reboot helped.. cheers

14. DrlRage

DrlRage Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Is this game a spiritual successor to Cruisin' USA or an actual sequel?

15. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Ahh... neither.

16. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    team Feral, i dont know if anyone mentioned this, but for the wheel touch controls, the lower part of the screen is a dead area.

That means, my finger has to be almost on the map for the steering wheel to register, while if it goes to the bottom left part of the screen mid-turn, the steering wheel disappears and the car starts to go straight. The dead area starts somewhere around the left of the pause button.

Please make the whole lower part of the screen register the steering wheel.

17. ellie_feral

Many thanks for the kind words and feedback! We'll continue to update and support GRID Autosport, so we're happy to take all your comments on board.

On the bottom left, you swipe right or left to change team orders; I think you're touching this while steering.
    Please do feel free to register your feedback using the in-game support option, then the support team can follow up with you if they have anything that might help.

18. TheVimFuego

Dec 7, 2014
    #358 TheVimFuego, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Please

Team Feral,

Whilst I continue to enjoy this despite a congenital inability to drift effectively I offer the following suggestion ...

Could you please implement a “Stating The Bleeding Obvious” level for the muppet on the team radio?

Whilst I like knowing my front right tire has a puncture and adjusting my race accordingly I suspect the observation that I’m leading the championship and this is right where I need to be is superfluous.

Kind Regards,
    Vim

19. ellie_feral

Hi Vim, thank you for your eloquently phrased request! Sometimes the bleeding obvious is hard to avoid. Edwin (one of our GRID leads) suggests drawing inspiration from this Kimi classic: "Leave Me Alone I Know What To Do".

While I'm here, I have a quick message for Touch Arcade forum posters! Your comments and feedback have been an enormous help to our development of GRID Autosport, and will continue to be. So thank you, and keep them coming. Please be aware that we're moving into holiday season now, so we won't be as present in this thread over the next couple of weeks. Make sure you email [email protected] if you run into any snags at all.

I look forward to speaking to you all again in the New Year. Happy holidays, and happy racing. ;)

20. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Thank you Ellie and Eddde and the rest of the Feral team, like last year with the Rome:Total War port the years ending with another fantastic port that will again have me fixed to my screen over Xmas and new year.

All the best for the holiday and looking forward to what you're working on for 2018!