Universal Griblers (by Anton Lovygin)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Anton Lovygin

Anton Lovygin Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Thanks for feedback!
    I did the game when Iphone X was still not released and did not think that it would turn out so bad. I'll figure out how to fix this situation.

2. Anton Lovygin

Anton Lovygin Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Please mail me to [email protected]

3. deresi

deresi Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2018
    I've tried it, and so far it's okay. Game design is simple, but the way the game works is interesting.

If there is an improvement I want, I wish I had the function to undo the action of characters. If it improves, I can play more strategic.

4. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I think the explanation given in the App Store is a good description of this game. In addition to that, the story is simple, but the dialogues are very nice. Kindly, you can set the difficulty level of the game at startup. And this may be a different concept than the RPG you think. But it is interesting in its own way. This is a dynamic board game with both adventure and strategy. I will have fun with this for a while. :)

P.S There is also a brief introduction of APPSPY for this game recently. Check if you are curious.

http://www.appspy.com/news/11623/griblers-combines-charming-city-building-with-board-game-tactics-out-now-on-ios-and-android

5. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I’m hovering firmly at “ok.” Ok, but kinda unexciting.

First hour or so has me potter about, collect some stuff, finally work out what acorns are useful for, bodge some crafting, finally work out what skills are for, kill some ants, and get unexpectedly / without warning slaughtered by an unkillable scorpion.

The scorpion appears to be a plot device, wreaking necessary destruction for the next task.

However, being unaware of this, I threw two of my three creatures into kamikaze death.

Which feels pretty disappointing.

Mechanics are also frustrating. Two actions per turn. Which is basically “move, move” or “move, gather resources.” Then switch to another char, do the same. Etc. It’s pretty slow, and pretty repetitive.

Idk. It looks like the game expands as buildings are levelled up, but this currently feels like quite a slow adaptation of (presumably) quite a slow board game.

6. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Ok - my earlier review was harsh.

I pushed through yesterday, and the game greatly improved. I’m now probably at about 6-7hrs.

Chars regenerate every 7 days / turns, so my ragequit and restart above proved unnecessary. (Even though I spent a tonne of time levelling up my warrior next time round, he still got slaughtered.)

Turns / moves are insignificant, for the most part. Worrying about my two moves was mostly irrelevant. Certainly in early game.

If is quite an enjoyable, well balanced game - scout scouts, warrior then kills, resource gatherer gathers resources. Ideally. In practice they’ll never work that closely together (it would be monumentally slow) but there’s a broad principle there. And one that becomes increasingly necessary as the game progresses, as only the scout can remove spider webs. Which litter every chuffing second square, and trap your chars for c.2 turns.

I have hit several points where the gameplay felt as if it was becoming unmanageable - with chars that were neither levelled up enough not responsive enough to do anything but get repeatedly slaughtered by a wave of monsters regenerating too quickly from bases that I could literally not progress far enough to kill. (Think warrior being repeatedly surrounded on 4 aides by spiders / scorpions, with a new one arriving every turn).

The game can also become a bit stultifying - collecting resources for the sake of it, unable to remember exactly why I’m doing so (particularly after an hour or two of constant play). And grass (needed for rope) seemed to stop regenerating for an hour or three around mid game, and remains exceptionally scarce.

But. Yeah. Played a fair bit. Got some decent enjoyment out of it. Better than I first thought.

7. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    An overriding point from the above is that tutorials are not great. I kept on accidentally discovering core mechanics (like regeneration, and useable items) which had felt like game breaking problems.

8. Anton Lovygin

Anton Lovygin Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Hello! I resolved this issue in the new release. Just update the game.

9. Anton Lovygin

Anton Lovygin Member

Mar 29, 2018
    #29 Anton Lovygin, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Thank you for your criticism and comments!
    I will try to make some changes in the future updates.

10. Roxton

Roxton Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2015
    That was a fun challenge. The Bookworm quest was a really nice touch. I’m going to have nightmares about those endgame foes. #

Many thanks to Lovygin, Bogdanov, and Fabio for the great title.

11. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017

I agree with you. This is a pretty decent game. :D

If you are hesitant to play this game because you do not have enough user ratings for iOS, check out the Google Play user ratings below. Users are positive about this game, and the developer communicates with the users quite actively. Perhaps this is because for certain developers, Google Play is a more developer-friendly environment. ;)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.GrumpyGames.Griblers&hl=en&showAllReviews=true

12. Grimafacia

Grimafacia New Member

Apr 28, 2018
    #32 Grimafacia, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Edit: Nevermind got the solution But great game BTW. Highly recommended.