Universal Grey Cubes (by Deion Mobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 29, 2014.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    What are you talking a out? I don't see any graphic quality options available in the settings menu, there's just music and sound.
    Are you sure you're in the correct game's thread?;)

2. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#42 Habakuk, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    Also, there is a tiny, tiny lag when the paddle follows your finger. It doesn't disturb too much, and it's present in almost ANY brick breaker/breakout clone, but I wonder why? Because it would be too easy otherwise? Technically impossible?

Yes I am sure. In my copy I have the graphics quality options after hitting the pause button. Four steps to choose from. Difference worst/best at iPad Air 2 & some Grey Cubes (click for full res):

Attached Files:

3. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    I think the lag is quite bad when theres two part room. After you switch sides its too easy to lose a ball cos of lag

4. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #44 Lazer Kat, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    Are the red power ups always negative?

There isn't a graphics quality option for me either. Just sound and music.

5. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Yes. As usual in all good Brick Breaker games. And the worst (okay, it's a great challenge and a sign how well thought through the software is): The red power-downs are kind of magnetic in Grey Cubes. The paddle seems to attract/lure (sorry I can't find the proper English term right now) them! Never seen and experienced before.

Strange. :confused: As I said before: Start a level, hit the pause button. Still no graphics options? (It's NOT in the "regular" in-game settings and I can switch them at any time via pause.)

6. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Habakuk, you are right. There's graphics quality option in the pause menu as you said. It's really strange these options are not included in the main options menu. I didn't push the pause button even once until you said about the settings hidden there. Anyway, on my iPad with Retina it's set to 3/4 quality and when I set it higher, the FPS drop is significant and the game is unplayble so I really wonder for what devices the highest settings is.

7. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I can use the highest setting on my iPhone 5S with little to no lag. And I'd say this option is in the pause menu so you can see how it affects the graphics while you're playing, if they just put it in the regular settings you'd be like "hmm highest setting... Oh well my device is handling this just fine" as you are transitioning menu screens, but then when you got to the action of the game that's where you'd actually see if it's working or not. ;)

8. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Darn, price went up to 1.99. I should have picked it up at .99 cents. Oh well.

9. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I only paid a buck, but it's easily worth two ;)

10. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I paid 2
    Rich's right
    Glad I did

11. diegohostettler

diegohostettler Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    I'm at lvl 20 now and I quite like this. The only complaint I have is that the gameplay could be a tad faster. This could be either done in speeding up the balls a bit, have more power ups or let the magnet charge faster.

12. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Up to Level 17. Quite enjoying this one. I like the way you can play some levels landscape and some portrait -- adds some nice variety.

Using iPhone 5S there is some slight stutter as others have mentioned, but knocking down the graphic detail level to three dots instead of four helped (and I didn't even know this was in the pause menu until someone mentioned it here).

I also like the magnet power-up, but not really sure how it gets charged. It's also quite hard to see when it's ready on the smaller screen iPhone. The placement is fine (after all you only need to press it once) but perhaps a little flashing indicator in the top 'status bar' to let players know it's ready could be helpful!

13. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    They just added a shop and iap. I'm afraid to update. Has anyone updated yet and did they ruin the game or did they make it better?

14. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    You can buy coins you can use to buy powerups. So optional I guess

15. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    So these are consumable power ups? So essentially does that mean the person with the most cash can do better on the leaderboards? Did they add anything that is non consumable?

16. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Geeze! I updated it and it erased my game. :(
    Also, it seems there is no way to get the in game currency unless you pay for the currency. It seems like it's permanent upgrades. I am on the 4th level and I have not seen a single coin. :(

17. fiskadoro

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah. Not sure what the deal is with the shop. I clicked on one of the items and it said "Not enough coins! Would you like to get more coins?" I clicked "yes" and the game crashed. Tried again, and it looks like the only way to obtain coins is to purchase them.

I've noticed there is less lag/slow-down on the highest graphics setting now in this update. One odd thing: when I hit the magnet now, the paddle zips directly across the screen above it -- did it always do that? Kinda inconvenient. Shouldn't activating the magnet be independent of the slider?

Just got through Level 30.

18. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    I've been on a block breaker binge the past couple of weeks and this is probably the best one I've found.

19. fiskadoro

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Grimstone82: you should definitely check out Impulse! then, it's really exceptional. I bought it after reading all the praise for it on this thread:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=251549

You can play the first four or five levels for free, then it's $1.99 to unlock the rest -- I like that model.

20. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Agreed!!