iPad Greats: The War of Reversi by Wisetap

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wisetap, Sep 23, 2010.

1. wisetap

wisetap Member

Sep 23, 2010
    #1 wisetap, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #2 New England Gamer, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    Wow a twist on one of my faves. Looks quite intriguing.

Edit: Rather than double posting I wanted to add some impressions since of course I couldn't resist. The game is a unique take on the Reversi / Othello board game. It adds a new dimension in that there are a series of opponents you must face and beat. It plays well albeit a little laggy and has a bit of a lack of direction. The description mentions levels of difficulty based on your opponent but since it doesn't explain the level of your opponent (from what I can see) you might end up playing backwards. I chose one character to be without really knowing what would be any advantage or disadvantage to playing that character at the time and can choose any of the other leaders. I think it would be more effective and more fun if you had a progression of opponents to unlock. Each leader has 8 (I think) battles to conquer their land.

The interface is pretty intuitive and the graphics are a nice touch. Love the board pieces, though they look a little Chess like and not Othello like. It certainly is a different take on the game and if you are a fan of the game you should look into this. If you have not played Reversi or Othello before I couldn't find any instructions or tutorial to help you out. Since I have played a lot that wasn't a problem for me but if it is your first try at it maybe pick up a game with some more basics before delving into this.

3. wisetap

wisetap Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Thank you for your review and your suggestion on the design of our game in particular. We will take them into consideration in the next update and add some new content to improve the gameplay.

4. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Any multiplayer?

5. Catigao

Catigao Member

Sep 24, 2010
    I guess this one is not a multiplayer type, though I hope so. It could be of more fun, right?

;)

6. New England Gamer

Staff Member

Jul 30, 2009
    No multiplayer that I can find. But the game puts more emphasis on the progression and conquering of countries and leaders. Doesn't honestly lend itself to multiplayer with this set up.

7. BazookaTime

Okay thanks. Most reversi games I have played have offered a two player mode. Even as far back as Spot on the gameboy.

8. wisetap

wisetap Member

Sep 23, 2010
    We will add Two-Player Mode and Game Center to our later updates in the near future.

9. BazookaTime

Sounds good, I really like the look.

10. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Hmm, I always liked Reversi. Adding this to my wish list.

11. New England Gamer

Staff Member

Jul 30, 2009
    As I play more of it it gets more and more interesting and intriguing. I was in the middle of conquering England when I got another challenge by another leader. Then when I went back to England I realized someone else had been fighting for it as well (evidenced by someone else's flag in an area of England). Definitely some strategy involved with trying to take over a territory.

All in all a very different experience for this game (at the risk of sounding like a broken record) and definitely a must have for fans of this board game. Just so many twists that I am discovering the more I play that I realize tons of thought has gone into this.

I applaud the developer for taking an old game and making a whole new concept instead of re-skinning the same old same old. I, like BazookaTime, have played several of these on several platforms and this is the most unique of the bunch. While multiplayer would be nice, the premise of this game stands on its own. There are plenty of other Reversi games that implement multiplayer so I am happy that this game has a whole new look. Graphics and animations are top notch too, right down to your opponent shaking their head in disgust as you flip their pieces.

12. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

#12 badmanj, Sep 26, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
    Like this alot - though I'd LOVE to be able to play this with more traditional board pieces though - don't like the chess-style pieces in this... and would prefer them not to leave the playing area when being reversed - a flip animation may look nicer...

But the game itself - VERY nice!

Jamie

13. New England Gamer

Staff Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #13 New England Gamer, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
    I don't mind the game pieces as much as I mind it feeling disjointed sometimes. All the leaders are attacking one another at once I have found out. So if I am on a campaign suddenly I have to leave it and go defend something I already conquered. While that has a nice little twist to it, it just feels distracting. And then when you successfully defend that attack you are brought to the country of attacker - not back to your original spot. So then I have to go through all the countries and leaders to find where I was and continue.

I really AM enjoying the game, I am just pointing out a few little tweaks that can be made. It's quite enjoyable to play this game with a purpose as opposed to the others on the appstore that allow you to play just to play. Though I really like that too, it is a welcome change to have the campaign to finish - a goal so to speak.

Good work @wisetap - just a few tweaks and a couple additions and the game will appeal to the masses. Right now I can only recommend it for those that already know the gameplay of Reversi / Othello.

14. wisetap

wisetap Member

Sep 23, 2010
    #14 wisetap, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
    Thank you for supporting GREATS, Jamie.

We will consider adding an option to our later updates for a traditional style of the pieces that has a flip animation.

15. Catigao

Catigao Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Me too. I was thinking the country is to be attacked one by one. It seems the wars are going on everywhere, much like another world war taking place. Though sometimes I would be confused, I am somehow surprised.

16. iMikei

iMikei Member

Sep 28, 2010
    The game is great, but I don't like the sound after I finished a turn. Quite like a telephone. I enjoyed this alot and can't wait its update.

17. wisetap

wisetap Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Now 50% OFF for a limited time!
    Hope you enjoy the game!

:)