iPad Great Puzzle Game! - BrainFreeze

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Burton, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    This is a 1 week old app the just went on sale for FREE in the app store, it doesn't look like it's gotten much attention at all, but it definitely deserves some!

Here's a screenshot of 1 level:
    [​IMG]
    The object is to match tiles of the same colour side by side, by pressing the sides of the screen (Accelerator can also be used) to make all of the tiles fall that way. There are obstacles on the levels to make it more challenging.

DEFINITELY check it out.

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/browserRedirect?url=itms%253A%252F%252Fitunes.apple.com%252FWebObjects%252FMZStore.woa%252Fwa%252FviewSoftware%253Fid%253D300883758%2526mt%253D8%2526partnerId%253D30%2526siteID%253DDARO91t1GGA-hBACAazc6bYksjYoY1eOJg

(On sale for 1 week)

2. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    downloading now
    might write a review

3. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Is this similar experience to Puzzle FLIP?

Only matching instead of getting to the correct space.

4. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Looks decent. I'll try it and come back with a report.

5. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Played it for awhile and was impressed with it so that I left a nice review about it. First levels easy but as you progress it gets more complicated. Nice game for all who like puzzles. Glad to see its free or would probably passed over it.

6. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    Yea, I might have paid $0.99 for it, but it used to be $1.99.

I'm glad that I posted this on here, cuz before it had no reviews, but now thanks to us it has 3, and that may boost their sales a bit. :)

It's always good to help out other people with their apps that they put a lot of effort into. :)

7. LizArd

LizArd Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Looks like a nice game. Release date shows December though - so it's beenaround for almost two months:confused:

Thanks for finding this - I was looking for a new game today to keep me entertained on the road.

8. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #8 Coldar, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
    Especially when they lower it down to being free......if I like the game (or not) I feel I owe it to the dev to post a review.

Edit: Thanks for the post by the way. (was actually on my way back to TA to do the same thing but you beat me to it....heh)

9. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    Oh yea you're right, on AppShopper it says Feb 9th, but that's just the update I guess, it doesn't show the date of release. But then I checked iTunes and it says December 22nd.

10. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #10 Misguided, Feb 19, 2009
    Oh wow.

Great, GREAT game. Easily worth a couple of bucks, but available for free. This is the reason the app store is so damned addictive and compelling, because you find little gems like this.

To clarify how this works, you can touch the screen or use the accelerometer to apply gravity to all blocks either up, down, left, or right. All blocks (well, movable blocks) will go that direction until they can't go any further. You move the blocks in different directions to get blocks of the same color next to each other and remove them.

This is a logic game, NOT a twitch puzzler. I'm on level 20 and the game is getting fiendishly challenging, with the inclusion of fixed barrier, "lock blocks" that will stick a block in place like glue if they slide over the lock, directional spaces on the floor that only allow movement in one direction, and blocks that break after they are hit a certain number of times.

The game is very well polished. The visuals and sounds are simple, but clean and suit the game really well. If you're still reading this, then for goodness sakes, just go download it already!

11. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Misguided, have you ever tried Puzzle FLIP? Any comparisons?

Might have to move this game up on my backlog if no one can answer this for me. :p

12. Not sure but I know this one is very similar too Vexed!! ..anyone tried both? Which one would you recommend if Vexed!! (538 levels) is $1 and BrainFreeze (100 levels) is $1 (theoritically speaking probably happen in week or so).

Still though probably Ivory Tiles (80 levels) try demo and Shift (70 levels) try demo are the best of this type of game.

13. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    100+ levels* actually.

And they're going to be adding more in new updates.

14. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Great find! Thanks for pointing it out! I'm on level 30 so far.

15. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I was just thinking about this the other day. If I get a game for free (promo code or store offer) and I like it, I will rave about it. But if it sucks, I just don't leave a review. It may not be free to others and I don't want to misguide others into spending money into a crappy game. So I feel bad if I get a promo code and the game sucks, but I'd rather keep my mouth shut than leave a bad review for free games :)

16. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    #16 GatorDeb, Feb 19, 2009
    If the dev is reading this: Can you update it so that when you touch the direction arrows don't touch? Thanks! :)

P.S. I love this game and will leave a good review sometime this week :) (busy at the moment).

And OMG... Thanks for mentioning Vexed, I checked it out and I played that game FOR HOURS on the Palm eons ago. Bought both Vexed apps. Awesomeness :D

17. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #17 Coldar, Feb 19, 2009
    GatorDeb-

I originally stated I was leaving a nice review about this game a few posts before this one that you quoted me on. But I do disagree with you on not leaving a review even if its a bad game as this will also help out the dev in making a better game with updates, etc. It is most noted that a lot of devs ask for constructive criticism, feedback, etc within their game description or even on TA. Most of my 'bad' reviews try to keep it suggestive and helpful and in fact its just the opposite of misguiding anyone but TO guide them in their purchase from my reviews. It is of course up to them to purchase or not but by me giving an honest/unbiased opinion of the game it will be helpful to most that read it (hopefuly). I'll admit there has been a dev or two that obviously never tried their own game and letting it go out in a somewhat premature beta form that gets my dander up and by letting the other people be aware of a the status of a game at that time is helpful to most as I would appreciate this as well and have avoided a lot of games from them. Possibly your thinking of raking a dev over the coals when you think of 'bad' reveiws? Anyway, just wanted to clarify where I was coming from in regards to a bad review for the most part.

18. Yea I leave bad reviews even if promo code. Definitely try to provide more constructive cristicism than anything else though. Anyway I wanna get vexed!! Gatordeb too so tell me are the controls fine? tilt or touch or both?

19. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    The Dev isn't on this forum, but you can make it so that it's JUST tilt controlled, touch controlled, or both.

You can go into the Settings and press "On or Off"

20. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA