iPad Great Leaping Lambrettinis

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Devilishly Good, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    itunes link - 99 cents

Great Leaping Lambrettinis

The Great Leaping Lambrettinis, a famous italian circus artist family, rehearse their new and daring teeterboard act. However, the coordination among the Lambrettinis has yet to improve. Since they are all involved in the show they for once hire a coach who is not a member of the family but still a world-accepted authority in the realm of the teeterboard: YOU!
    Now it's your job to assure that the Labrettinis make it to the next teeterborad and not to the next hospital.

This game is a tribute to the glorious electronic handheld games of the 80s, like the Nintendos Game & Watch series, Tricotronic, Tomy or Tiger Electronics. However, this is not a mere copy of an existing game but a new development, that has the look and the gameplay feeling of the originals.

Quick manual:
    - The Lambrettinis keep jumping from the platform on the righe onto the first teeterboard
    - If you tap on a teeterboard the Lambrettini who stands on it jumps to the other side
    - If you tap on a human pyramid the top Lambrettini jumps down
    - Make sure not to jump on someones head when jumping down
    - The Lambrettinis can build human pyramids three man high but no more
    - Every 100 points you get a new life and get up one level
    - The aim of the game is the triumphant landing on the very left side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    has anyone tried this? love the retro look

3. nickcaveman

nickcaveman Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    illustrator and graphic-designer
    bremen/germany
    #3 nickcaveman, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
    yeah, did anybody tried it?
    i`m really interested in comments, because i made the graphics for this game.

as you can see at my birthdate, i`m really old. and so, i still remember as i got my first game&watch game. it was octopus and i love it.

and a friend and me always wanted to make a computergame of ourself, but we only thought about complicated games so we never did it.

but at the start of this year we decided to make a little game and which kind of little games could be fun?
    yes, these old LCD handheld games.

but we didn`t want to make a clone of an old game, it should be something new.

so we make great leaping lambrettinis.

we tried to make it as realistic as it could, but there is a little mistake in it.
    the teeterboard isn`t possible in this style, if you made a real lcd game.

and the gameplay is a little bit different.

nevermind.

hope, there will be anybody out there, who like the game.

and i hope, my friend and i will have time to make other games for the iphone soon.

oh, btw. english isn`t my native language, so if there are any bad mistakes just be kind.

ps: there is a global highscore, so you can mess you with other gamers worldwide.

4. shawn_10

shawn_10 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    cool, seems fun

5. nickcaveman

Jul 8, 2009
    bremen/germany
    too sad, that apple didn`t allowed us to use this picture:[​IMG]

6. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    lol, that is pretty funny

7. costanza

costanza Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Looks cool. I'll buy if first impressions are good.

8. happyhappyboy

happyhappyboy Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Freelancer
    Bremen/Germany
    Playing Tips

Hello there,

I'm also eager to see how you people like this game, because I'm the coder and me and my friend (that nickcaveman guy) had been talking about making a game together for 15 years (no exaggeration!) and now we finally did it and this is all very exiting :)

Here's a little playing tip: The game starts pretty slow, so there is enough time to build up triple towers. They give you twice as much points and you can reach something like 200 points quickly and easily. As the Lambrettinis start to jump from the start position in shorter intervals you have to go down to double towers or you won't make it. Finding the right moment for that is crucial. Once you are down to double towers you can play that game infinitely long. Theoretically, that is :) It gets pretty tough and you have to concentrate like hell so at some point you will crack up, but it will be interesting to see how far the limit can be pushed...

Regards and have fun
    Sebastian Mecklenburg

9. nickcaveman

Jul 8, 2009
    bremen/germany
    promo codes

it`s seems to be normal to give away promocodes, if a new game release, so we do it too.
    first 5 people, who write me gets a promocode.

10. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
  11. armoredisamu

armoredisamu Active Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Mr. nickcaveman, is it possible to put on a video of gameplay please? :)

12. exalep

exalep Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Sent a pm :)

13. nickcaveman

Jul 8, 2009
    bremen/germany
    hello everybody.
    the promo codes are gone, thanks for your interesting in our little oldschool game.
    hope you will like it.

aloha from germany,
    nickcaveman aka maura

14. nickcaveman

Jul 8, 2009
    bremen/germany
    howdy.

as i wrote, this is our first game, we puplished, so we didn`t know, how to promote it.

we will try to make a video and post a link as soon as possible.

thanks for your tip.

15. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    #15 Devilishly Good, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
    Holy Leaping Lambrettinis!!!

This game has the look, feel, and beeping sounds of one of those little LCD games on a handheld or on a watch...but it's on your iDevice instead! Absolutely polished and charming graphics, great retro sounds, and a touch interface means you don't have to try and mash itty bitty buttons while playing this engaging game.

Press "Flipside" on the main menu and you flip over the game's "box" to look at product info on the other side...a very cute touch.

Your goal: Help the Lambrettinis perform their circus act by managing who leaps when. Be careful, if a performer lands on the wrong spot, a Lambrettini is rushed off to the hospital and if 3 Lambrettinis are injured the show must go on...but your game ends; however, for every 100 points scored, a Lambrettini returns from the hospital (you earn a life back).

There are 3 teeterboards and human pyramids. Every couple of seconds a Lambrettini will jump off the platform onto the first teeterboard so you must make sure it is safe for him to jump. This is where the challenge comes in. Human pyramids can only be 3 people high and you cannot have two people on one side of a teeterboard. You will be constantly telling performers to jump the next position so there will be a free space for the next incoming performer.

[​IMG]

The one thing that is not clear in the directions is that once you have gotten a Lambrettini to the very end, you will need to "dismount" them off the screen to earn points and clear that spot.

The game is a combination of rhthym and management as you try to maintain a groove of constantly leaping Labmbrettinis and making sure the way is clear to keep the whole show moving along smoothly.

The game interface is very easy to use. A simple touch will get a Lambrettini to jump off the top of a human pyramid or move from one side of a teeterboard to another. Just press on the desired pyramid or teeterboard to get a performer to do their corresponding action.

[​IMG]

You gain extra points by having a Lambrettini jumping to the high spot on a pyramid so the game really encourages you to not leave yourself a cushion by keeping pyramid size low...higher risk gives you higher rewards.

A great plus in my book - the game respects your iphone's mute button so this game is perfect for a surreptitious bathroom break at work or while waiting for a meeting ('cause I know you'd never play during a meeting ;))

There are also local and global leaderboards so you can demonstrate your mad skillz to everyone.

Pros:
    -polished retro looks and sounds of an LCD game
    -easy to learn, challenging to master
    -respects mute button
    -local/global leaderboards

Cons (more wishes than detriments to the game):
    -it would be great if the global leaderboards allowed you to specify your country
    -clarify final step in directions that you must clear the Lambrettini off the board
    -it would be really funny when you pressed Flipside, if the pic was random between different sets of shoes/type of dress

Absolutely recommended as an easy to play, challenging, fun, pick up and play game...especially if you have any fond memories of those LCD type games. This has earned a permanent spot on my iphone. Easily worth the 99 cent asking price. Buy now.

16. costanza

costanza Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Went ahead and bought it after reading Devilishly's review. :D

17. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    cool, see you on the leaderboards, i am 3rd on global with 347

18. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Same here. Thanks, Devilishly Good.

19. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    left a review in itunes as well

@the devs, you really have done a great job with this game, i truly hope you will be bringing future projects to the app store...especially in this retro style

20. happyhappyboy

happyhappyboy Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Freelancer
    Bremen/Germany
    Great you like it!

Hey, thanks for the great review. I'm glad you like it. Of course I agree with all your pros :)
    Regarding the cons: Yes, we were already thinking about different leaderboards. An all time leaderboard, a weekly, monthly and daily one for example. Various country leaderboards would be cool too, you are right.
    What dou you mean by the second point? Was it not made clear that you have to jump down from the last pyramid? After you jumped down from the last pyramid the Labrettini disappears automatically after the triumphant fanfare. Sorry for asking, after being in the guts of that game for months some things are sometimes hard to understand :)
    About the last point: The flipside effect is nice, isn't it? Did you notice the original 80s chucks? We thought about different backgrounds, but we were afraid, that the game would be become too big. Its almost 4 MB already. Maybe we are too oldschool about that too.
    Way to go for the next release! We have a number of other ideas, but at some point you just have to make a feature freeze or otherwise you will never get something out of the door. We don't like that either :)

Thanks and regards and have fun,
    Sebastian Mecklenburg