Great idea for iPhone 3.0 utilizing app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by brewstermax, Mar 19, 2009.

1. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I have come up with an idea for an iPhone app. It would require iPhone 3.0 to be released, and I'm pretty sure that it has been thought of, but still. Using P2P, you could set up a huge close range virtual chat room, within say, a class room or something. Allow basically an IRC setup, using a combo of Bluetooth and Adhoc wireless networks (the two ways that iPhones and iPod touches can communicate with P2P). This could be a great lifesaver, say in class or something where everyone is close together, but talking isn't practical. This could be a great idea, and since access to WiFi networks is often limited in schools, IM or IRC isn't possible. Which is why this would work. It would show off a lot of iPhone OS 3.0 features, too. Push, P2P, and other things.

Also, another idea may be for an iPhone app that could share the iPhone's EDGE or 3G connection with other devices. These would include other iPhones and iPod Touches. It could broadcast this through WiFi, make a virtual, private network, and allow others to have always on internet.

Just a few ideas.

2. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I don't really get it? It would be like texting someone in the same room, or IMing someone in the same room?

Are you talking about when you're in a quiet room or something or in a class and you want to talk to your friends but you have no wifi, nor a phone?

3. brewstermax

More like IRC. But yes basically. For example. You have a room full of people in class. I'd say that 35% have an iPhone or iPod Touch. And everyone is bored, and want to talk. So you have an app that sets up a private adhoc network so that everyone can chat back and forth. If it got large enough, a server phone would possibly be needed to process the messages, but IRC is the best example since you could both send public messages and private message people. I see several uses for it.

The last paragraph sums it up, but it isn't the issue of not having a phone. Its the whole possibilities that iPhone 3.0 unlocks now. You could have something that allows all of this. And more. Social status, pictures, everything. All communticated between devices live over Bluetooth or Ad Hoc WiFi. Short distances, sure. But this targets an audience between 12 and say 20. If you have every had a DS, and used the Pictochat functionality, think very similar to that. Except more robust.

I don't have the equipment to make this. I could potentially make a base code in C++, but don't have a Mac to make it in Obj-C. I'm just throwing this idea out there, hoping that an experienced developer will take it and make it a reality. I could see potential uses in the home as well, but less practical. This has some issues by design, but I think is very possible. You are transmitting a lot of data over WiFi, and that could drain battery quite quickly, so I say have a text only mode option as well to save battery.

Just an idea.

4. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I get it. To communicate without wi-fi; those who are in the same room. Great idea brew!

5. brewstermax

Exactly! Thanks. I'm fairly sure that someone will make this. Maybe not that complex and robust, but something along those lines.

6. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Heck; I really wanna learn coding to make an app. If by the time I get my MacBook (soon) no one has I'll try it out. I also wanna make some games. And don't worry if I make the app I'll give you a promo code. ;)

7. brewstermax

In theory, this should be dead simple to make. Basically taking APIs and wrapping them in a GUI, which Apple provides. If I had a Mac, I would make this. I may have to copyright my idea. ;)

8. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    I thought of this too and I think its a great idea. I get how some people will think it is impractical and all but it would be great for highschool if you have other friends with iPod touches or iphones in your class. ahaha. I think it would be cool if someone made this. I wonder what the range on the bluetooth chips are. hmmm.

9. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Heck if you don't wanna I won't make it. The GUI I would make. And it would be simple for my first app. It would have extras and cool stuff so it would be $1

10. brewstermax

Ok course I do. I could have sworn I put a ;) in there. It will have to evolve over time, to add new stuff.

Exactly. The average ones are about 30 feet max. Ad hoc would be much simpler, and compatible with all devices.

11. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Whoops. It was late. I didin't notice the ;)

12. brewstermax

Yea. Go ahead and do this. I'll take 20.

13. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Sounds good brewster. Really good. It would be a hard product to market. The DS has this I think. Annd when 3.0 comes touch people can use it to. Could u play multi-player using the same method?

14. brewstermax

I don't think that it would be hard to market, just have to keyword it right and make a great name. The DS has this, except it sucks pretty bad. Mainly having that sucky keyboard, and no PM or anything. I'd say design a paneled interface, where you can assign nicknames, and flick between the main room and various private conversations.

Yes, multiplayer is done the same way. In fact, this could develop over time to include little games that you could play with other people, like Tic-Tac-Toe or something simple. Of course that's just an idea, but I'd love to see something as full featured as this. Very useful, and you just need to get it out there.