Graphics Question : Jagged Artwork :(

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by fogosolo, May 29, 2009.

1. fogosolo

fogosolo Member

May 29, 2009
    I've done some graphics tests to design my game but they appear jaggy. Can anyone tell me why?

Here's what I've done so far:

1. I've done some artwork of a screen with Illustrator using the iPhone's screen ratio.

2. Then I've imported the screen into Photoshop at the 480x320 screen resolution.

3. Then I've e-mailed it my iPhone mail and downloaded the attachment to my iPhone's Photos.

Would this be any clearer if I used the SDK instead? And I was hoping that I wouldn't need to clean up a lot of pixels in Photoshop. Am I wrong there?

Thanks! I've been a long time reader of this website for a while and the forums and comments here have been really helpful.

Nice to meet you all!

2. kzgreg

kzgreg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    well when you bring the artwork in from Illustrator to photoshop are you copy and pasting or are you exporting the AI file as a PSD? You should export it if you're not already doing that.

Also, you're mixing up the difference between screen resolution and pixel ratio. What you listed in your 2nd question is pixel ratio, not screen resolution (dpi). You need to check the dpi of the photoshop document. Check the DEV kit for what resolution artwork needs to be at. for example 72dpi is for web-300dpi is for print.

hope that helps a bit.

jg

3. fogosolo

fogosolo Member

May 29, 2009
    Thanks!

Your recommendation solved everything. I had been saving as Illustrator files and then opening them with Photoshop. I'm so accustomed to using 72 DPI that it never occured to me to match the DPI to the iPhone's instead. I feel really stupid.

So for people here who may have this issue in the future, the DPI is 160.

4. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    Photos saved from Email/Safari will be degraded.

Photos synced via iPhone will be less degraded.

Images built into a game/app will not be degraded at all.

5. kzgreg

kzgreg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Nah, don't feel stupid, just glad I could help. I'm a designer so I'm used to the procedure. good luck.