Got 2 calls from the Internal Revenue Service(S) today!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Did you know that they now accept iTunes, amazon, Walmart, and grocery store gift cards as payment?

Me neither. :eek: :D

If anybody falls for this, they deserve what they get. :(

2. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    On this topic----I (we) constantly keep getting hit by calls at all hours from scammers saying the IRS is suing us and we'd better comply and pay up! SO sick of it! Most people know they will never call you and say anything like that! But continue, they do, sometimes multiple times a day from different foreign-sounding idiots. Wonder how many people actually get scared and do pay up?! Must be a good amount! Also, these robo-calls that ring and hang up when your answering machine answers. You can see the numbers on your tv screen. Wish I could make their systems blow up or something! Regardless, phone companies need to stop this BS! You go to have your phone blocked from these things, but they're NOT! #

3. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Well, I saw that Google, MSFT, and Apple, and other tech companies are developing a way to end robocalls, so let's root for that.

I put the "S" in parenthesis because that is what they say "Services", not Service. So right away you know it is crap. Both calls were robo voices.

You are nicer than I am. I want to track down the actual people and beat them with baseball bats. And, no, I am not kidding.

And they really did say that they accept gift cards if you have no other source of money.

4. Jayboy720

Jayboy720 Member

May 7, 2014
    Ah this is so interesting! I've been getting the calls daily and they left the recorded message on my home phone's voicemail twice yesterday alone. I know a bunch of people in my area have been getting it so I've gotta ask, where (approximately) are you guys from that you're getting the calls? Wondering how far spreading this one is. I'm in Long Island, NY.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Eh, they primarily target old people and say some pretty scary stuff. We've had some people fall for it locally and they were legitimately terrified of them taking their house or social security or whatever else.

6. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Almost every day I get a phone call from someone who claims they work for Microsoft. I keep telling them that I am not an idiot and I know about computers. They said that they can see I am getting a lot of errors on my PC and they need to connect remotely to fix them. What a stupid scam. I get some entertainment from it when I ask them actual computer questions and then they make up some bs technobabble to try to confuse me.

7. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013

Well, even with old people, I doubt they believe they can settle debt with gift cards.

8. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    All across the country, obviously! I'm in Southern California!
    Yeah, they try to scare you, but I've heard 'em all before. I don't fall for that crap. I'm an old fart, after all! Their broken English is comical at best, but I'm with Papa Deuce! Me and him are gonna team up 'cause we are superheroes in our own right!! Gonna beat their ass and put a stop to it once and for all and save the world from this scourge! #

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

...The fact that they do believe that is the entire reason these scams work.

10. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    This is true! A fool and his money soon go separate ways! Even if a few fall for it it's worth it for them! Cha-CHING!!!

11. Meshugenah Games

Meshugenah Games Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    I've gotten a couple robo calls that purport to be from the IRS saying they are suing me as well.

I knew it was a scam, but its still a little unnerving.

12. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I know. It is! Then after the 25th time, you just get flat-out PISSED! #

13. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I'm pretty sure if the IRS were suing you'd have more than a phone call.

14. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    They always contact you at first, with a certified letter..... I know, as I was audited about 20 years ago.

15. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I was adding on to what you said, not correcting you. :D

16. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Yep, I know.... :)

I was adding on to your adding on, LOL

17. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I thought they brought two large guys with hammers to your door and started breaking thumbs.

Or was that the mafia. I always get the two of them confused.

18. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I realize how it goes, but, everyone can attest to the fact that it's very irritating when you get a bunch of these calls noneoftheless! I just wanna choke 'em out! #

19. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    You are nicer than I am... I want to beat them with bats and feed them phone parts.